Manually input shots dialog : not working

Jean Pierre CASSOU

Feb 28, 2024, 1:43:59 PMFeb 28
to TopoDroid
Hello,

In the 'Aims' table, it is impossible to manually add an aim. The [Save] and [OK] buttons do not work.

This malfunction must be considered 'Critical' and alone leads to the complete rejection of the solution.
P2280942.JPG
distox14.sqlite

Balambér Hakapesz

Feb 28, 2024, 3:09:36 PMFeb 28
to topo...@googlegroups.com
work

Screenshot_20240228-210430.png

Jean Pierre CASSOU

Feb 28, 2024, 3:11:40 PMFeb 28
to TopoDroid

Jean Pierre CASSOU

Feb 28, 2024, 3:16:27 PMFeb 28
to TopoDroid
Working with a new project only.
If I reuse a file distoX14.sqlite saved in external drive (or regenerated by GHTopo): Loading OK, modifying or add new survey header OK, display plan view OK, but adding manually shots NOK

Jean Pierre CASSOU

Feb 28, 2024, 3:18:00 PMFeb 28
to TopoDroid
Please test with this file:

distox14.sqlite

Marco Corvi

Feb 28, 2024, 3:31:46 PMFeb 28
to topo...@googlegroups.com
it is not possible to test with the database only, you should provide the whole topodroid folder.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024, 9:18 PM Jean Pierre CASSOU <jpf.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please test with this file:

Jean Pierre CASSOU

Feb 28, 2024, 3:45:19 PMFeb 28
to TopoDroid
TopoDroid.zip
Message has been deleted

Jean Pierre CASSOU

Feb 28, 2024, 4:04:18 PMFeb 28
to TopoDroid
I generate the distoX14.sqlite file with my GHTopo software.
After copying to the /Documents/TDX/Topodroid folder, recovery is done without problems
Why this blockage with the manual entry of new targets?
Why does the simple replacement of the distoX14.sqlite file prohibit any modification of the sights?

The purpose of a SQLite database is to replace text files.
If actions are made impossible after restoring a distoX14.sqlite database from a backup, then let me tell you that there is a big design error: how to restore a backup?

Marco Corvi

Feb 28, 2024, 4:42:26 PMFeb 28
to topo...@googlegroups.com
the database file does not have the same schema as a topodroid database.
it is absurd to mess up with the files and pretend that the program works.

in your example the database error, which is intercepted by the program, is not surfaced to the user.

considering that this was caused by tampering with the syntax, i think it is ok, because this is the sort of issues that a developer can easily tackle.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024, 10:04 PM Jean Pierre CASSOU <jpf.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
I generate the distoX14.sqlite file with my GHTopo software.
After copying to the /Documents/TDX/Topodroid folder, recovery is done without problems
Why this blockage with the manual entry of new targets?
Why does the simple replacement of the distoX14.sqlite file prohibit any modification of the sights?

i cannot tell.
you should look at the sqlite implementation in android sources.

The purpose of a SQLite database is to replace text files.
If actions are made impossible after restoring a distoX14.sqlite database from a backup, then let me tell you that there is a big design error: how to restore a backup?

for user backup there are zip archives.
backups are restored by importing them in topodroid.

the survey data are written in a text file.
the sketches are written in binary files, but there is a parser in C on github.
the sketch files contain also the station points.

Le mercredi 28 février 2024 à 21:31:46 UTC+1, marco...@gmail.com a écrit :
it is not possible to test with the database only, you should provide the whole topodroid folder.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024, 9:18 PM Jean Pierre CASSOU <jpf.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please test with this file:

Marco Corvi

Feb 29, 2024, 4:36:00 AMFeb 29
to topo...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024, 10:02 AM Jean Pierre CASSOU <jean.pier...@sud-ouest.org> wrote:

>>the database file does not have the same schema as a topodroid database.
>>it is absurd to mess up with the files and pretend that the program works.

>>in your example the database error, which is intercepted by the program, is not surfaced to the user.

Why is this error not reported to the user?

normal users do not pretend to be developers.
the error is logged and a developer understands what is going on from the log.

>> i cannot tell.
>>you should look at the sqlite implementation in android sources.

I have neither the time, nor the Java skills, nor the desire.
It is up to you to document the structure of the Sqlite database, not to the developers of gateways to and from Topodroid.
there is a man page for the database.
a real developer has no problem to read the structure from an example of the database.

>> for user backup there are zip archives. backups are restored by importing them in topodroid.

What is the procedure to follow in Topodroid? (Import Export).
this is likely in the manual

>>the survey data are written in a text file.
>>the sketches are written in binary files, but there is a parser in C on github.
>>the sketch files contain also the station points.
Organizing your files is far too complex for cavers.
a normal user is concerned with surveying and getting files in a format that can be used with other programs for further processing.

 Additionally, there are undocumented binaries files (sketch file)
sketches are saved in binary files for performance.

binary files are described by the C parser.

again, normal users are not concerned with reading binary files, as much as they are not concerned with reading dxf or svg files with a text editor.
users use autocad and illustrator/inkscape.

the way the information is encoded in the file is of concern of programmers.

any programmer should have a basic understanding of programming languages like C, maybe not knowing the subtle points, but enough to read simple code.
Only two possibilities are acceptable in practice for cavers:
- All data (sketches, data) in one database
- All necessary files in a folder that can be copied and pasted without altering the content

the first choice is the zip archive, and it has proved to be a good solution for users to exchange topodroid surveys with othets.

the second choice is already there: make aa copy of a topodroid folder

Jean Pierre CASSOU

Feb 29, 2024, 9:15:07 AMFeb 29
to TopoDroid
Problem solved

In DistoX14.sqlite generated by GHTopo:
Table shots: Missing rawMx, rawMy, rawMz, rawGx, rawGy, rawGz
In table configs: Key "DISTOX_SHOTS" removed
In table android_metadata: Additional field TEXT removed
Message has been deleted

Jean Pierre CASSOU

Feb 29, 2024, 9:17:39 AMFeb 29
to TopoDroid
I can now update my Android device with simple copying DistoX14.sqlite  (it's most important xD ).