Photos don't work at all in latest Topodroid

Garry Petrie

Oct 2, 2023, 1:43:51 PM10/2/23
to topo...@googlegroups.com
I really have not tried the photo controls in Topodroid until recently. However, I found them to be unfunctional at best. My complaints are:

1) Photos only appear in the "photo" folder in the cave's Topodroid area and are named generically, e.g. 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc.
2) There's a '#' symbol added to the survey data page for the shot with the photo, but there is no way to view the photo.
3) The photo button in Survey Info is always disabled.
4) There no way to see the comments associated with the photo dialog when created.
5) The photo dialog comes up with a useless warning message about how my tablet is "uncalibrated." I never intend to calibrate my tablet, for what?

Back to the drawing board, please.

Garry Petrie

Balambér Hakapesz

Oct 2, 2023, 2:12:09 PM10/2/23
to topo...@googlegroups.com
I would only respond to the last point:
5) calibration
The warning indicates the uncalibrated state of the Android compass. This is an Android internal data and indicates a completely incorrect data provision of the already imprecise compass. "Calibration" is a figure-of-eight rotation next to the phone's turned-on compass.
The compass data is used by TopoDroid to orient the photos.

Balázs Holl

Vírusmentes.www.avg.com

Garry Petrie

Oct 2, 2023, 2:17:38 PM10/2/23
to topo...@googlegroups.com
Don't care, will never, ever use my tablet as a compass. This message needs to be suppressed. It is especially stupid because when taking photos, the tablet is held vertically, perpendicular to the earth's field.

Marco Corvi

Oct 3, 2023, 2:48:20 PM10/3/23
to topo...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Oct 2, 2023, 7:43 PM Garry Petrie <dynam...@gmail.com> wrote:
I really have not tried the photo controls in Topodroid until recently. However, I found them to be unfunctional at best. My complaints are:

1) Photos only appear in the "photo" folder in the cave's Topodroid area and are named generically, e.g. 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc.
right.
writing the short description takes already enough time.

2) There's a '#' symbol added to the survey data page for the shot with the photo, but there is no way to view the photo.
photo menu

3) The photo button in Survey Info is always disabled.
code error: number of photos not being used :-)
fixed next.

4) There no way to see the comments associated with the photo dialog when created.
photo list window

5) The photo dialog comes up with a useless warning message about how my tablet is "uncalibrated." I never intend to calibrate my tablet, for what?
Probably that is an Android message: there is no TopoDroid message with the word "uncalibrated"
Use of android azimuth in TopoDroid is disabled by default.
(you must have enabled it, somehow).

Back to the drawing board, please.
good drawing.

Garry Petrie

Oct 18, 2023, 2:19:04 PM10/18/23
to topo...@googlegroups.com
I did not want to let this go as it still does not work. There is no way to view photos in Topodroid, there is no link/menu pointing to the Photo Menu nor the Photo List Window.

If it has been fixed, what version would that be and is it available to test via download?

The Android message, "Low accuracy. Calibration needed" is NOT something I intentionally nor accidently enabled. I have seen the message on a tablet and on a phone. The two numbers in the screen shot of the incident are the azi and dip numbers -- which are totally useless since the camera is perpendicular to the m-field. The call to the camera routine should not ask for any measurements, IMO.

Garry Petrie

Screenshot_20231006_082119_TopoDroid-X.jpg