Dropped export formats

Garry Petrie

Jan 15, 2024, 3:13:50 PMJan 15
to topo...@googlegroups.com
What exactly was the harm in leaving the export formats as is?

Do developers EVER ask the users what they want?

Thanks a fucking lot, back to scripting languages to fix.

Garry Petrie

Marco Corvi

Jan 16, 2024, 2:21:08 AMJan 16
to TopoDroid
i dropped the exports that did not receive feedbacks for a long time
because i take that as indication that they are not used / useful

the benefits are
first and most important, less cluttered interface: the list of data export formats is too long and too many choices are distracting;
second, smaller code size (in download and in memory) - this is not so important: topodroid is 7MB size and 10-11 in memory, it is not very small but much smaller than several common apps

the code for dropped exports is still in the source, commented.
if anyone request to have it back i can remove the commenting.

i got a request to reinstate pockettopo as it was used
as intermediate step to toporobot.
i replied that since toporobot export is being debugged (thanks to a user feedback
since i can debug only few exports)  the user could join to help fix the
export. haven't heard again.

png was dropped and replaced by pdf because it had problems,
the most annoying was that i could not control the resolution of the image.

Garry Petrie

Jan 16, 2024, 9:56:48 AMJan 16
to topo...@googlegroups.com
I would like WinKarst back, but I am starting a script to use Walls since the export supports splays.

Only by chance did I notice the drops, certainly not due to polling or news. I came to see the photo changes. I now understand the rectangle with the check mark is really the 'save' icon. Still not happy with the generic numbering, everything will be renamed to reference the shot instead.

Garry Petrie

Marco Corvi

Jan 16, 2024, 11:01:59 AMJan 16
to topo...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024, 3:56 PM Garry Petrie <dynam...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like WinKarst back,

ok

but I am starting a script to use Walls since the export supports splays.

i know that walls has a large users base, in us, but is it still being developed/maintained ?

is there a way to write splays in winkarst files ?

Only by chance did I notice the drops, certainly not due to polling or news.

changes are listed on topodroid download page.
most of the people do not read them.

I came to see the photo changes. I now understand the rectangle with the check mark is really the 'save' icon.

indeed a "floppy" icon may be a better choice.

Stephen Fordyce

Jan 17, 2024, 7:31:38 PMJan 17
to topo...@googlegroups.com
Garry this email is not cool and you should apologise.

Regards,
Stephen Fordyce

Garry Petrie

Jan 18, 2024, 4:08:08 PMJan 18
to topo...@googlegroups.com
As Marco notes, most people don't read the change list and I would add, don't download every version.

We all have to accept a certain amount of buyer-be-aware and ultimately be glad we have a digital product we can actually use in a cave. Which I am.

The Walls export format is pretty straight forward and while its development is suspended, I am guessing there are more users than my favorite export type. I don't recall, is a CSV type output also available?

For an ask, can we get image export back, e.g. PNG or TIF? I've been doing screen-captures for sharing purposes.

Garry Petrie

Marco Corvi

Jan 19, 2024, 2:18:26 AMJan 19
to topo...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024, 10:08 PM Garry Petrie <dynam...@gmail.com> wrote:
As Marco notes, most people don't read the change list and I would add, don't download every version.

and don't check the md5

We all have to accept a certain amount of buyer-be-aware and ultimately be glad we have a digital product we can actually use in a cave. Which I am.

The Walls export format is pretty straight forward and while its development is suspended, I am guessing there are more users than my favorite export type. I don't recall, is a CSV type output also available?

yes.
... and don't read the man pages

For an ask, can we get image export back, e.g. PNG or TIF? I've been doing screen-captures for sharing purposes.

png had the problem that resolution could not be controlled.
tiff wouldn't be much different (it was not in android java - should check if it is supported now).

taking screenshots turned out to have better quality (the resolution issue can be worked around with graph-paper)

pdf was introduced as a replacemrnt for png.

Garry Petrie

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 7:13 AM Garry Petrie <dynam...@gmail.com> wrote:
What exactly was the harm in leaving the export formats as is?

Do developers EVER ask the users what they want?

Thanks a fucking lot, back to scripting languages to fix.

Garry Petrie

Garry Petrie

Jan 19, 2024, 1:21:45 PMJan 19
to topo...@googlegroups.com
Man pages only get you so far. For example, in using the CSV survey data export, none of the flags are defined. (Version 6.1.97 - 21 Feb, 2023)

I will be using CSV as my method to import survey data going forward.

The PDF export is no better (or as good as) than SVG -- not the lowest common denominator for third party viewers, e.g. social media. When using screen capture, users must use the Overview frame, so as to keep the scale constant and pan to collect, required to stitch together the pieces. What I like about ArcGIS, is its Export Map button right on the main toolbar and does WYSIWYG.

Marco Corvi

Jan 21, 2024, 3:10:58 AMJan 21
to topo...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024, 7:21 PM Garry Petrie <dynam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Man pages only get you so far.

that is true (see below), but the supported export formats were listed.

For example, in using the CSV survey data export, none of the flags are defined. (Version 6.1.97 - 21 Feb, 2023)

the man pages lags behind the code.
furthermore:
- details may not be described
- there are probably mistakes
- info is scattered over dozens of pages (this is so because keeping everything in a single doc proved too hard to maintain )
- the pdf is created only once in a (long) while
- the man pages version refers to the app with the same version number: 6.1.97 is from app 6.1.97. most of the things haven't changed; many have.

I will be using CSV as my method to import survey data going forward.

the basic csv export contains only some minimal info.

to have the really complete info one should use the sqlite contained in the zip.

The PDF export is no better (or as good as) than SVG -- not the lowest common denominator for third party viewers, e.g. social media.

there are converter to image formats.
i have not tried them bevause pdf is better for me.

When using screen capture, users must use the Overview frame, so as to keep the scale constant and pan to collect, required to stitch together the pieces.

stiching images together is a less-than-suboptimal solution.

What I like about ArcGIS, is its Export Map button right on the main toolbar and does WYSIWYG.

this is an idea: screenshot saving on volume press.
a big map would have the same problems that PNG export had.

in the end, all this fussing around comes because one does not use a powerful cave program ( like therion, for example )