ZIP export to include Therion files

umarcor

Jun 5, 2024, 6:57:37 PMJun 5
to TopoDroid
When exporting a survey to ZIP in TopoDroid v5, Therion files are included.
That is, as long as the survey and/or sketches were individually exported to Therion beforehand, when the ZIP is generated, it includes TopoDroid's manifest, survey.sql and .tdr files, but also .th and .th2 files.
However, when following the same procedure in TopoDroid-X v6, TopoDroid files are included only. Therion sources are located in the 'out' directory within the survey folder in Documents/TDX/TopoDroid, but need to be copied separatedly.

I did not find any reference to such behavioural change in http://marcocorvi.altervista.org/caving/speleoapps/speleoapks/TopoDroidApks.html so I wonder whether it was on purpose or an undesired bug after some refactoring.
Anyhow, would it be possible to get the old behaviour back? It would come handy to make it optional for the ZIP to include everything or just TopoDroid files.

Marco Corvi

Jun 6, 2024, 12:53:15 AMJun 6
to topo...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jun 6, 2024, 00:57 umarcor <una...@gmail.com> wrote:
When exporting a survey to ZIP in TopoDroid v5, Therion files are included.
That is, as long as the survey and/or sketches were individually exported to Therion beforehand, when the ZIP is generated, it includes TopoDroid's manifest, survey.sql and .tdr files, but also .th and .th2 files.
However, when following the same procedure in TopoDroid-X v6, TopoDroid files are included only. Therion sources are located in the 'out' directory within the survey folder in Documents/TDX/TopoDroid, but need to be copied separatedly.

I did not find any reference to such behavioural change in http://marcocorvi.altervista.org/caving/speleoapps/speleoapks/TopoDroidApks.html so I wonder whether it was on purpose or an undesired bug after some refactoring.

it is on purposes.
the change is in changelog of v. 5.1

Anyhow, would it be possible to get the old behaviour back? It would come handy to make it optional for the ZIP to include everything or just TopoDroid files.

since the exports of each survey are in a separate folder, it is now more convenient to keep them separated from topodroid files.
topodroid zip archives do not contain unnecessary files and you can use a file manager to make a zip of the "out" folder, if needed.

umarcor

Jun 6, 2024, 5:03:30 AMJun 6
to TopoDroid
it is on purposes.
the change is in changelog of v. 5.1

Thanks! I found it now: http://marcocorvi.altervista.org/caving/speleoapps/speleoapks/topodroid_old/TopoDroid-5_1.html

5.1.85:
(...)
Exported files are not included in zip archives any more.

since the exports of each survey are in a separate folder, it is now more convenient to keep them separated from topodroid files.
topodroid zip archives do not contain unnecessary files and you can use a file manager to make a zip of the "out" folder, if needed.

Although it's probably a corner case, on some low-cost or virtual (emulated) devices the default file manager cannot compress files/folders; so in order to backup the content to another smartphone through BT or to export it from the emulator we cannot creat a zipfile straightaway, we need to send the files individually. Since the compression feature exists in TD already, I thought we could use it to avoid a third-party tool.
Nonetheless, I get the point. We can just install a "good enough" file manager which supports compression, and it might come handy not only for managing TopoDroid files/exports.