[topicmapmail] AGROVOC topic map web application

Motomu Naito

Feb 7, 2012, 9:29:57 AM2/7/12
to topicm...@infoloom.com
Dear mailing list members,

One of the activities of the H-GIS[1] research group, we have been
developing a Topic Maps web application based on AGROVOC[2]. We call it
AGROVOC topic map. We published the first version on the web.

http://infos.net.cias.kyoto-u.ac.jp:8083/agrovoc/

Please try it!
Thank you.

Best regards,

Motomu Naito

[1] H-GIS (Humanities-GIS) is a research group established in 2004 in Japan.
Its purpose is the use of GIS(Geographic Information Systems/Science) in the
Humanities. Refer to the following web pages.
(English pages are under construction at the moment though.)

http://www.h-gis.org/

[2] AGROVOC is the world's most comprehensive multilingual agricultural
vocabulary. Downloaded over a thousand times a year by dozens of countries
it is in daily institutional use to index and search documents, web pages
and digital objects.

http://aims.fao.org/website/About/sub

Patrick Durusau

Feb 9, 2012, 5:47:25 PM2/9/12
to topicm...@infoloom.com
Naito-san,

Very cool!

Thanks for the note.

Apologies for the late response!

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
pat...@durusau.net

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau

Patrick Durusau

Feb 9, 2012, 5:56:07 PM2/9/12
to topicm...@infoloom.com
Naito-san,

Just trying the app quickly, I think I am doing something wrong.

1) When I choose ("click") on any of the labels in the graphic, I seem
to get a "Start topic"

for example:

http://infos.net.cias.kyoto-u.ac.jp:8083/agrovoc/agrovoc-viz.jsp?tm=agrovoc.ltm&id=http://aims.fao.org/aos/agrovoc/c_1665

But that doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

Is that right?

2) Unlike our former vice-president I can spell "potato" (and a few
other words) but a search on that returns 26 topics and no occurrences?

That may be because I don't understand the ontology.

Very responsive interface and appears easy to use.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: Ah, but if I follow Irish Potato I get:

On 02/07/2012 09:29 AM, Motomu Naito wrote:

--
Patrick Durusau
pat...@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
OASIS Technical Advisory Board (TAB) - member

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau

Motomu Naito

Feb 11, 2012, 5:27:44 AM2/11/12
to Patrick Durusau, topicm...@infoloom.com
Dear Durusau-san,

Thank you for your comments.

> Naito-san,
>
> Just trying the app quickly, I think I am doing something wrong.
>
> 1) When I choose ("click") on any of the labels in the graphic, I seem
> to get a "Start topic"
>
> for example:
>
> http://infos.net.cias.kyoto-u.ac.jp:8083/agrovoc/agrovoc-viz.jsp?tm=ag
> rovoc.ltm&id=http://aims.fao.org/aos/agrovoc/c_1665
>
> But that doesn't seem to lead anywhere.
>
> Is that right?

No, it is strange.
But if you want to change the "Start topic (Focus Node)", please do "double
click" on the node instead of "single click".

The following gives a short introduction and overview of the default actions
available using the mouse:

- left mouse button; single click on a topic - expand topic (equivalent to
context menu 'Expand node'); has no effect on topics without a
further-associations box or within Map View.

- left mouse button; double click on a topic - make the topic the Focus Node
and the locality factor triggers how many related topics are displayed.

- right mouse button, click on background - displays menu items for toggling
on/off the window controls (locality factor, zoom bar, search box, and
scroll bars) as a group or the search box individually.

- right mouse button, click on a topic - the context menu pops up.

The context menu displays all the actions that can be applied to the topic
(e.g., expand, collapse, hide node, set as start node), provides access to
the topic's Properties box (for names, types, and occurrences), and allows
the topic to be designated as sticky (topic will remain positioned relative
to other topics where specifically moved by user).

- right mouse button, click on an edge (association) - displays Hide edge
menu choice. By clicking on Hide edge, the edge will be hidden and connected
topics, which will be then disconnected, will also acquire a
further-associations box (or have the number in their further-associations
box incremented).

- mouse-over edge (association) - displays the name of the association.

* A small red box with a number (or asterisk for numbers higher than 9), the
further-associations box, appears in the upper right hand corner of a topic
shape when a topic has additional associations that are beyond the range of
the locality factor.

For more information, please download and install the Ontopia, and you can
get the full document of the Vizigator.
You can download the Ontopia from:

http://code.google.com/p/ontopia/

> 2) Unlike our former vice-president I can spell "potato" (and a few
> other words) but a search on that returns 26 topics and no occurrences?

Great!
I could not spell it correctly. :-)

The result is right.
But please try "potatoes" instead of "potato".
AGROVOC is using plural form for some words, for example, vegetables, foods,
beers, wines and so on.

Ontopia is using "Lucene" for full-text search by default.
I think "Lucene" returns the result by exactly word matching.
So even if you search "potato", you can't get "potatoes" as the result.

> That may be because I don't understand the ontology.

The ontology is very simple at the moment.

There is only one topic type: "concept".

The association types are the following:

- "BT - NT" (Hierarchical relation type)
- "UF - USE"
- "UF+ - USE"
- "SNR - SNX" (Scope note reference)
- "RELATE"

And, there is no occurrence type.

Have a good holidays!

Best regards,

Motomu Naito

Motomu Naito

Feb 13, 2012, 9:01:30 AM2/13/12
to Patrick Durusau, topicm...@infoloom.com
Dear Durusau-san,

Possibly I misunderstood your question concerning graphic operation.

If you did the operation on the Home page (top page) of my application, the
"click" operation didn't go anywhere.
Instead new window or tab will appear, then you can navigate the graph on
them.
Because the graph on the top page is just a screen shot of some node.
Namely it is only a clickable image.

If you want to try "vizigate" function, please do the following:

1. Search some word for example "potatoes" in English in search field and
you can get search result list.
2. Select "Potatoes" in the list and you can get the detail page of
"Potatoes".
3. In the detail page, select "Vizigate" in the menu bar and you can get a
graph on the new window or tab.
4. Then, you can select any node and navigate the graph.

Best regards,

Motomu Naito