DDL Import Fails - no errors

Tim Smith

Sep 7, 2022, 4:15:24 PM9/7/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

EDG Studio 7.3

I am attempting to import a DDL file generated by SSMS (SQL Server).  Using the import wizard, I select the type of DDL and give it a database name.  The only triples created are those for an instance of Physical Data Model and Relational Database.  Everything in the file is ignored.

To debug, I stripped the file down to a single create table statement (see below).  Even that is ignored.  I cannot even be sure EDG is actually reading the file.  There are no console/log messages.  No visible errors of any kind.

What should I try next?

Thanks,

Tim

image.png

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[MY_TABLE](
[PK] [nvarchar](255) NOT NULL,
[EXCLUDE_PICKING] [bit] NOT NULL,
[REPLENISHMENT_ACCESS] [bit] NOT NULL,
[DESTINATION_AREA] [nvarchar](255) NOT NULL,
[DESTINATION_LOAD_UNIT_TYPE] [nvarchar](30) NOT NULL,
[SOURCE_AREA] [nvarchar](255) NOT NULL,
[SOURCE_LOAD_UNIT_TYPE] [nvarchar](30) NOT NULL,
[UNPACKING_ZONE] [nvarchar](40) NULL,
[CREATE_DATE] [datetime2](7) NULL,
[CREATE_USER] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[MOD_DATE] [datetime2](7) NULL,
[MOD_USER] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[VERSION] [bigint] NOT NULL,
 CONSTRAINT [PK_W_AREA_ACCESS] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
[PK] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]

John Beard

Sep 8, 2022, 3:57:00 PM9/8/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi Tim,

The problem is what is called a byte order mark in your file. Here is some explanation, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43821212/sql-server-management-studio-saves-sql-file-with-binary-character.

This will be fixed in EDG 7.4.0.  But for now you can fix it when you save the file from management studio.  Or you can just open the file in notepad and then change the encoding when you save it.  I recommend just using UTF-8, without BOM.

Tim Smith

Sep 8, 2022, 4:09:25 PM9/8/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John!  I changed the encoding to UTF-8 in Notepad++ and it worked perfectly.

image.png

Carli wells

Oct 18, 2022, 5:30:05 PM10/18/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
I am having an issue with EDG not picking up all of the tables in my DDL file.  Imports with no errors, but when I verify table counts, EDG always leave out 3 tables that are in the DDL File.