EDG: Panel sizes change when clicking between them

Tim Smith

Oct 9, 2020, 3:32:45 PM10/9/20
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've noticed that the panel management in EDG can sometimes become "confused".  I've encountered several scenarios and I've documented one here.

In the first screenshot below, I have added a SPARQL query panel to a Data Asset Collection view and maximized the size of the browser window.  I did not tell the browser to go full screen.  I just didn't include the browser tabs, etc... in the screenshot.  Notice how everything fills the available space.

image.png

With the screen looking as above, I took one action - clicking from the SPARQL results tab back to the SPARQL query tab causing the panels to resize by significantly shrinking the size of each panel.  This consistently happens when I click between panels.

image.png

A couple of other observations:
  • This happens even if the window is not maximized to fill the screen.
  • The only way to get the panels to be larger, is to resize the browser larger but once you click to a new panel, they will immediately shrink again.  I cannot manually drag the right-most or bottom edges of the SPARQL window.
  • This example was done at 4K resolution because it visually portrays the most dramatic difference but it happens on a standard HD monitor as well.
I'm on Windows 10, using TBC-ME 6.4.1 and Chrome.  I'm happy to provide additional details if needed.

Tim

Holger Knublauch

Oct 11, 2020, 6:40:12 PM10/11/20
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tim,

thanks for the report. We are aware of issues with this layout manager. We use a 3rd party component

https://golden-layout.com/

which doesn't seem to have been updated for a few years. As browsers evolve further, and layout management is quite a fundamental capability, I am not surprised it doesn't work perfectly anymore. At some stage we likely need to look into replacing this component. I have no immediate fix for you but a typical work-around is to resize the browser to force a re-layout.

Thanks
Holger

Tim Smith

Aug 9, 2022, 11:01:09 AM8/9/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
Resurrecting this issue again because it is still a significant issue, especially when using the SPARQL panel.  The layout is re-sized (as originally described) with nearly every query execution and other clicks between panels.

I reported the issue with version 6.4 in 2020, I'm seeing the same behavior with 7.3.  Is there any timeline for a fix?

Pat Doyle

Aug 9, 2022, 11:36:54 AM8/9/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

I am currently in the process of replacing the layout manager with a more up-to-date and more readily maintained option. This is expected to be completed in time for the 7.4 release.

Hope it helps,
Pat

Tim Smith

Aug 12, 2022, 6:14:35 AM8/12/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Pat!  I'm looking forward to the improvements.  It will make using a 4k monitor much better.  I'm happy to beta test if needed.

Tim