Using URI schemes other than urn and http as an identifier

Michael Panzer

Nov 15, 2023, 12:21:18 PM11/15/23
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi,

I am currently trying to use DIDs (https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/) as identifiers for instances in TopBraid.

Example:
<did:mcid:Wmqtv3fFNvXR3gspxGF1ML>

The interface complains because it interprets the did: as a prefix instead of an URI scheme. I assume the same would happen with other URI schemes like ark:, etc. We know urn: works because it is used by TopBraid itself for graph identifiers.

Any way to solve this issue except by the workaround of adding "did:" as a CURIE prefix, even though it isn't one? (Or just creating the instances outside of TopBraid and then importing them?)

Cheers
Michael

Holger Knublauch

Nov 16, 2023, 4:19:36 AM11/16/23
to 'Bohms, H.M. (Michel)' via TopBraid Suite Users
Hi Michael,

yes this is an unsupported case right now. We only hard-coded the URI entry field to allow for http: https: urn: and mailto:

I guess the other cases did not yet cross our paths and we didn't see use cases. Instead we tried to keep it simple so that users can seamlessly switch between full URIs and prefixed qnames. I struggle to see how else we could do that if we allow arbitrary URI schemes, as the system would then basically allow any prefixed name even if no prefix is declared. The only solution I could think of would be for us to add a configuration option to enumerate the other URI schemes. Do you have a better idea?

Holger

Michael Panzer

Nov 17, 2023, 1:39:18 PM11/17/23
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi Holger,

I can't think of a better solution at the moment myself (short of enabling the "official" list of all permanent URI schemes, which I don't think is feasible). I configuration option parallel to adding namespace prefixes for a graph would to the trick, so that I could add "did:" as a URI scheme instead of a namespace prefix.

Cheers
Michael

Holger Knublauch

Nov 17, 2023, 3:50:08 PM11/17/23
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
I guess we could add some other convention: when the ID field is of the form <...> then it should just use the URI verbatim.

This means users could enter <did:xy> and it would work.

Does this make sense?

In any case I have recorded a ticket for a future version - too late for the upcoming 7.8.0 though.

Holger