Adding instances in a Data Graph

Tim Smith

Aug 12, 2022, 5:47:38 PM8/12/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
I am creating instances in a Data Graph based on a combination of proprietary ontologies, Data Assets, Enterprise Assets, and Technical Assets.

The work process to create instances is confusing and requires a significant amount of "clicks".

For example, I have a custom class, :MODEDiscover, that inherits from edg:BusinessActivity.  :MODEDiscover is the object of sh:class in a shape for another class.  When click the + sign to add a instance of MODEDiscover, I get this window.

image.png

However, if I select MODEDiscover from the class hierarchy in the Data Graph and click +New in the instance panel, I can create an instance in the Data Graph with no issue.

From the user experience perspective, I need to be able to click the + sign next to the property shape to maintain the context of what the user is doing.  However, forcing the user into another tab to edit another asset collection is simply confusing to a non-skilled user and frustrating to experts.

I can understand why you want to force certain asset types into their defining collections.  However, there are implications for the user experience.  What is becoming a common use case is to create 4 instance graphs, one Data Graph which imports the next three which are instance graphs for Data Asset, Technical Asset and Enterprise Asset collections.

Is there a way to streamline the user experience?  Perhaps allow the addition of assets that don't belong in a data graph without pushing the user to a new tab but still place them in the correct graph?  (of course if more than one target asset collection was included, then the user would need to be prompted to choose the correct graph).

Lastly, if the above isn't possible, can we enable the instantiation of these instances directly in the Data Graph?  +New (in the instance panel) allows this today but using it is like creating all of the instances first, and then going back through each one to "wire" them together.  This works, of course, but is challenging for the user and will result in validation errors for non-optional relationships until you circle back and create and connect the target object.

Thanks!

Tim

Holger Knublauch

Aug 13, 2022, 8:59:59 AM8/13/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
For 7.4 we are introducing a new kind of workflows that will allow users to change multiple asset collections at once. You would just create instances in the workflow and, on commit, the system will distibute them to the most suitable target collection. If there are more than one candidate, the user can select.

I believe this may help for the kind of work that you are describing below.

Holger

On 12 Aug 2022, at 11:47 pm, Tim Smith <smith...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am creating instances in a Data Graph based on a combination of proprietary ontologies, Data Assets, Enterprise Assets, and Technical Assets.

The work process to create instances is confusing and requires a significant amount of "clicks".

For example, I have a custom class, :MODEDiscover, that inherits from edg:BusinessActivity.  :MODEDiscover is the object of sh:class in a shape for another class.  When click the + sign to add a instance of MODEDiscover, I get this window.

<image.png>

However, if I select MODEDiscover from the class hierarchy in the Data Graph and click +New in the instance panel, I can create an instance in the Data Graph with no issue.

From the user experience perspective, I need to be able to click the + sign next to the property shape to maintain the context of what the user is doing.  However, forcing the user into another tab to edit another asset collection is simply confusing to a non-skilled user and frustrating to experts.