Cancel Scheduled Import

GaBriella Branson

Sep 12, 2022, 12:33:22 PM9/12/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
We had a user schedule a JDBC import to occur every five minutes and it is causing a few issues. I have gone into Scheduled Jobs under Server Administration and attempted to hit the cancel button:

Scheduled Jobs.JPG
But the screen merely flashes and the import continues to run. Am I supposed to be cancelling from within the collection?

Thanks in advance.

John Beard

Sep 12, 2022, 1:05:32 PM9/12/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi GaBriella,

The cancel button only cancels the currently executing job.  To cancel future executions you need to edit the job configuration in the data asset collection and clear the cron expression field.

Branson, GaBriella C

Sep 12, 2022, 1:14:51 PM9/12/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, John. I have yet to test it out as our EDG is hanging up on us…but I can see from the logs that our cancel was behaving as expected - now to get into the collection and edit the import per your instructions.

Do you have any advice on cancelling a massive load of workflows? There are over 800 that have been created because of this scheduled import.

GaBriella Branson

Wildland Fire Data Management Program - Knowledge Manager

Stay Connected! Sign up to receive  email updates from the Wildland Fire Data Management Program

Holger Knublauch

Sep 13, 2022, 3:07:12 AM9/13/22

On 12 Sep 2022, at 7:14 pm, 'Branson, GaBriella C' via TopBraid Suite Users <topbrai...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Thanks, John. I have yet to test it out as our EDG is hanging up on us…but I can see from the logs that our cancel was behaving as expected - now to get into the collection and edit the import per your instructions.

Do you have any advice on cancelling a massive load of workflows? There are over 800 that have been created because of this scheduled import.

One way to batch-delete hundreds of workflows is by going to the SPARQL endpoint page

.../tbl/sparql

as administrator, assuming SPARQL Updates are enabled in the advanced server configuration parameters. In the drop down below the query editor field, select the Default Graph to be like urn:x-evn-master:XY.tch where XY is the ID of your asset collection - this is the part before the .editor in the URL of the main editor. For example for the geography taxonomy this would be urn:x-evn-master:geo.tch - note the .tch is the graph containing the metadata about the workflows.

Then, to delete all workflows, run these queries in sequence.

# Delete all added and deleted triples from all workflows
DELETE {
  ?triple ?p ?o .
}
WHERE {
  ?tag a teamwork:Tag .
  ?change teamwork:tag ?tag .
  ?change teamwork:added|teamwork:deleted ?triple .
  ?triple ?p ?o .
}

# Delete other change metadata
DELETE {
  ?change ?p ?o .
}
WHERE {
  ?tag a teamwork:Tag .
  ?change teamwork:tag ?tag .
  ?change ?p ?o .
}

# Delete status transitions
DELETE {
  ?sc ?p ?o .
}
WHERE {
  ?tag a teamwork:Tag .
  ?tag teamwork:statusChange ?sc .
  ?sc ?p ?o .
}

# Delete workflow itself
DELETE {
  ?tag ?p ?o .
}
WHERE {
  ?tag a teamwork:Tag .
  ?tag ?p ?o .
}

There are ways to automate this using scripts, but in your version this would require uploading SWP files which I didn't want to require.

Note that the above will delete *all* workflows including past ones. To only delete certain workflows, you'd need to filter the ?tag by some criteria such as by creation date. Let me know if you need that step as well.

NB: From versions 7.3 onwards, the above could be automated much more easily using the (ADS) Script Editor panel:

tbs.workflows().forEach(tbs.deleteWorkflow)

HTH
Holger

GaBriella Branson
Wildland Fire Data Management Program - Knowledge Manager

David Price

Sep 13, 2022, 9:04:41 AM9/13/22
to 'Felix Sasaki' via TopBraid Suite Users
Although, there is not really a better solution at the moment, SPARQL queries modifying a TCH graph are a bit dangerous … mistakes are always possible.

So … I would take great care in doing this. Take a backup just before doing any editing so that worst-case you can restore from the backup and try again. Test carefully by viewing the Change History for the collection and for specific assets in the collection before declaring success.

Cheers,
David

GaBriella Branson

Sep 13, 2022, 12:14:19 PM9/13/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
Your warning is duly noted, David. I will refrain for the moment. Because we are in our "staging" instance and simply testing/exploring, what happens if we simply delete the collection? Does this remove all the workflows and the schedule? Or does it leave the workflows and schedule out in limbo land?

David Price

Sep 13, 2022, 12:24:09 PM9/13/22

On 13 Sep 2022, at 17:14, 'GaBriella Branson' via TopBraid Suite Users <topbrai...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Your warning is duly noted, David. I will refrain for the moment. Because we are in our "staging" instance and simply testing/exploring, what happens if we simply delete the collection? Does this remove all the workflows and the schedule? Or does it leave the workflows and schedule out in limbo land?

Workflows are related to the collection and each collection “graph” has a related change history “graph", so the related workflows and all related change history will be deleted entirely if you delete the collection.

Note that before going this far, you could simple Clear Change History (under Manage tab) for the collection and then you do not have to delete its content.

Cheers,
David

Taryn Madey

Sep 13, 2022, 12:31:21 PM9/13/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Note, clearing history will keep uncommitted workflows. So this may not work for you.

Taryn

--
Taryn Madey
Development Manager

GaBriella Branson

Sep 13, 2022, 2:13:42 PM9/13/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
Thank you. We tried to go in to the Import tab --- Import from JDBC Connection (and based on the help above I expected to see the details of the existing connection and the Schedule Import containing information, but they are blank.) Is this not where I am suppsoed to remove the Expression to remove the schedule?

cancel import.JPG

Taryn Madey

Sep 13, 2022, 2:35:43 PM9/13/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Is this the same collection running the scheduled job? You should expect to see an intermediary page when navigating to import JDBC on the same collection. It will list the existing jobs if they are still active.

Taryn

Branson, GaBriella C

Sep 13, 2022, 2:45:39 PM9/13/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Yes, it is the collection running the job, but I didn’t get an intermediary screen and the job is definitely still running.

GaBriella

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 2:13 PM 'GaBriella Branson' via TopBraid Suite Users <topbrai...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Thank you. We tried to go in to the Import tab --- Import from JDBC Connection (and based on the help above I expected to see the details of the existing connection and the Schedule Import containing information, but they are blank.) Is this not where I am suppsoed to remove the Expression to remove the schedule?

GaBriella Branson

Sep 14, 2022, 11:58:03 AM9/14/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
Is there any other way to cancel this job? (I do not get any screen listing the active jobs, but there is very clearly one still running.) We are unable to delete the collection becuase we get a message saying another user is in the collection, but we have confirmed that no one else is in it during the attempt to delete. I do have someone comfortable with following Holger's instructions for deleting all the workflows, but really that does not do us any good if a new one is created every five minutes. Thanks!

Taryn Madey

Sep 14, 2022, 12:56:41 PM9/14/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriella. Can you move this over to an EDG support ticket so we can get more details about your system or get on a call? Thanks!

Branson, GaBriella C

Sep 14, 2022, 12:59:02 PM9/14/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Yes! I was wondering when/if I had crossed the line. Thanks, Taryn.