Incorporate Glossary Into SKOS Taxonomy Dynamically?

Fan Li

Oct 14, 2022, 9:54:34 AM10/14/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
We have a glossary (G) that is actively maintained by business users. Now we would like to incorporate all its terms into a taxonomy (T) (as narrower concepts of an existing concept). How can we do this dynamically so any new terms in G would be added to T automatically? I can think of importing G into T and perhaps creating some inference rules. But I am not sure how I should do it in SHACL and whether it would work or not. Thanks!

David Price

Oct 14, 2022, 10:15:22 AM10/14/22
to 'Felix Sasaki' via TopBraid Suite Users
On 14 Oct 2022, at 14:54, Fan Li <lifa...@gmail.com> wrote:

We have a glossary (G) that is actively maintained by business users. Now we would like to incorporate all its terms into a taxonomy (T) (as narrower concepts of an existing concept). How can we do this dynamically so any new terms in G would be added to T automatically? I can think of importing G into T and perhaps creating some inference rules. But I am not sure how I should do it in SHACL and whether it would work or not. Thanks!

Fan Li

Oct 17, 2022, 11:25:06 AM10/17/22
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hello David, thanks for your guidance. I am not sure where and how I can define the property shape with inference rules in a taxonomy. I have opened the Class Hierarchy and then the Source Code panel. But I am not able make any modification as it seems to be read-only.

David Price

Oct 17, 2022, 11:37:58 AM10/17/22

On 17 Oct 2022, at 17:25, Fan Li <lifa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello David, thanks for your guidance. I am not sure where and how I can define the property shape with inference rules in a taxonomy. I have opened the Class Hierarchy and then the Source Code panel. But I am not able make any modification as it seems to be read-only.

You define shapes in Ontologies collections, and then include them into your Taxonomies collections. Look at Settings, Includes and see if you already have an ontology included. If not, then create a new one and include it. Start your new one by using the EDG SKOS Shapes as its basis since that’s what Taxonomies collections use.

Cheers,
David

On Friday, October 14, 2022 at 10:15:22 AM UTC-4 David Price wrote:
On 14 Oct 2022, at 14:54, Fan Li <lifa...@gmail.com> wrote:

We have a glossary (G) that is actively maintained by business users. Now we would like to incorporate all its terms into a taxonomy (T) (as narrower concepts of an existing concept). How can we do this dynamically so any new terms in G would be added to T automatically? I can think of importing G into T and perhaps creating some inference rules. But I am not sure how I should do it in SHACL and whether it would work or not. Thanks!

Fan Li

Oct 17, 2022, 12:35:24 PM10/17/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, David. It works now. The slightly inconvenient part is that I have to manually execute the inference rules in order to see the newly added terms in the taxonomy hierarchy.

Holger Knublauch

Oct 18, 2022, 3:54:07 AM10/18/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Applying arbitrary rules consistently is one of the difficult problems here.

Once you are happy with the inference rules, you could have them execute on a regular basis. One approach would be to create an (empty) link graph (e.g. Taxonomy) that gets populated automatically by the rules. A ScheduledJob could populate that programmatically, wiping out the previous triples and then asserting the inferences. Then owl:import that intermediate Taxonomy into your real Taxonomy.

Holger

David Price

Oct 18, 2022, 5:02:49 AM10/18/22
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
A Change Script may be another option. It’s pretty well documented and there is an example you can download.

It reads changes as they happen and can then write or delete triples.

Cheers,
David