Inverse Path ?

Maatary Okouya

Mar 25, 2024, 7:33:14 PMMar 25
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi,

I have a model as follow

Relation have 1 or more Evidence i.e. min 1
An Evidence must support 1 Relation i.e. min 1 max 1

I would like to express the the fact that "A Relation has as Evidence, An Evidence that support it"
In other words, if a Relation point to an evidence, that evidence must point to that relation.

What is the correct to model that in SHACL.

I obviously looked into inverse path, but could not figure out how to do it with it.

Any suggestion

David Price

Mar 26, 2024, 3:39:02 AMMar 26
to 'Felix Sasaki' via TopBraid Suite Users
It you use inverses, there is no actual reverse triple … so it is not possible for the inverse to not “point" to the correct source instance.

EDG has a Modify action that will make an inverse of an existing relationship property for you ,and you just name it and set the cardinality as needed.

Maatary Okouya

Apr 13, 2024, 4:53:40 AMApr 13
to TopBraid Suite Users
Thank you for this.
Just for comparison,
would you please be able to send me the file generated by the above. I would like to see how the shacl look like behind the scene, making sure i am doing exactly the same.

thanks.

Maatary Okouya

Apr 13, 2024, 5:09:33 AMApr 13
to TopBraid Suite Users
If i may i just want to make sure that I understand your statement in full.

>> It you use inverses, there is no actual reverse triple … so it is not possible for the inverse to not “point" to the correct source instance.
When you say if you use "inverses", do you mean https://www.w3.org/TR/shacl/#property-path-inverse the shacl construct, or the owl construct owl:inverseOf or owl:inverseFunctional ?

In our current model there is a property from Relation to Evidence called supportedBy and a property from Evidence to Relation called Support
We have not used any owl construct to connect them so far.

Maatary Okouya

Apr 13, 2024, 5:48:48 AMApr 13
to TopBraid Suite Users
What we are trying to say is:

If Relation1 is supportedBy Evidence1
Then
Evidence 1 must support Relation1

With the additional constraint that a Relation can be supportedBy multiple Evidence, and an Evidence can only support 1 Relation

David Price

Apr 13, 2024, 5:49:19 AMApr 13
to 'Felix Sasaki' via TopBraid Suite Users
# baseURI: urn:x-evn-master:inverse_example_schema

@prefix metadata: <http://topbraid.org/metadata#> .
@prefix teamwork: <http://topbraid.org/teamwork#> .

ex:Evidence
  a owl:Class ;
  a sh:NodeShape ;
  rdfs:label "Evidence" ;
  rdfs:subClassOf owl:Thing ;
  sh:property ex:Evidence-description ;
  sh:property ex:Evidence-isSupportedBy-inverse ;
.
ex:Evidence-description
  a sh:PropertyShape ;
  sh:path ex:description ;
  sh:datatype xsd:string ;
  sh:maxCount 1 ;
  sh:name "description" ;
.
ex:Evidence-isSupportedBy-inverse
  a sh:PropertyShape ;
  sh:path [
      sh:inversePath ex:isSupportedBy ;
    ] ;
  sh:class ex:ProposedRelationships ;
  sh:name "supports" ;
.
ex:ProposedRelationships
  a owl:Class ;
  a sh:NodeShape ;
  rdfs:label "Proposed Relationships" ;
  rdfs:subClassOf owl:Thing ;
  sh:property ex:ProposedRelationships-description ;
  sh:property ex:ProposedRelationships-isSupportedBy ;
.
ex:ProposedRelationships-description
  a sh:PropertyShape ;
  sh:path ex:description ;
  sh:datatype xsd:string ;
  sh:maxCount 1 ;
  sh:name "description" ;
.
ex:ProposedRelationships-isSupportedBy
  a sh:PropertyShape ;
  sh:path ex:isSupportedBy ;
  sh:class ex:Evidence ;
  sh:name "is supported by" ;
.
<urn:x-evn-master:inverse_example_schema>
  a owl:Ontology ;
  metadata:status metadata:UnderDevelopmentStatus ;
  rdfs:label "Inverse Example Schema" ;
.

David Price

Apr 13, 2024, 5:51:52 AMApr 13

On 13 Apr 2024, at 11:48, Maatary Okouya <maatar...@gmail.com> wrote:

What we are trying to say is:

If Relation1 is supportedBy Evidence1
Then
Evidence 1 must support Relation1

With the additional constraint that a Relation can be supportedBy multiple Evidence, and an Evidence can only support 1 Relation

Just a sh:minCount and sh:maxCount to any property shape (including inverses) involved to set the cardinality to whatever you need.