performance evn

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Dec 5, 2017, 12:42:59 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Is there anything I can do in settings to improve the performance of evn (local)?

(java setting or?)

Showing class in middle takes about 8 seconds (one with about ~20 property shapes).

Thx Michel

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

+31888663107
+31630381220
michel...@tno.nl

Location

David Price

Dec 5, 2017, 12:49:46 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
https://www.topquadrant.com/knowledge-assets/faq/tbc/

look for :

Can I increase the amount of memory for Composer?

Cheers,

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Dec 5, 2017, 12:56:00 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Hi David

So now I have:

-Xmx2048M

-Xms640M

Having 8 GB ram (64-bit), what would you advice?

David Price

Dec 5, 2017, 1:14:03 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Depends on what else you have running and the size of the datasets you will be editing. Roughly, 1GB extra memory for each 1M triples.

I’ve run everything from 4GB to 12GB depending on the project I’m working.

Cheers,

Irene Polikoff

Dec 5, 2017, 1:27:34 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
For me, it takes 5-6 seconds to display a class with about 30 direct property shapes and 36 inherited (through subclasses). It is a particularly complex case.

It takes 2-3 seconds to display a class with 13 direct property shapes and 27 inherited.

I am on a Mac though. I have never changed the default.

On 5 Dec 2017, at 17:55, Bohms, H.M. (Michel) <michel...@tno.nl> wrote:

Hi David

So now I have:

-Xmx2048M
-Xms640M

Having 8 GB ram (64-bit), what would you advice?

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Dec 5, 2017, 2:05:03 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

I noiticed no diff. so I guess its indeed time-complex.

I also noticed that after startup of tbc with the new setting (4096) it was reset again (the ini setting goes back to 2048).

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

+31888663107
+31630381220
michel...@tno.nl

Location

Holger Knublauch

Dec 5, 2017, 4:12:00 PM12/5/17

On 6/12/2017 5:05, Bohms, H.M. (Michel) wrote:

I noiticed no diff. so I guess its indeed time-complex.

I also noticed that after startup of tbc with the new setting (4096) it was reset again (the ini setting goes back to 2048).

Are you sure you have edited the .orig file, not the .ini file?

Holger

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Dec 5, 2017, 4:28:16 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Ahhhggg, thought was kind of backup of the original values

But its windows-special

Anyway, tried, no performance change

Ill ask a new machine for Christmas

David Price

Dec 5, 2017, 5:14:48 PM12/5/17
On 5 Dec 2017, at 19:05, Bohms, H.M. (Michel) <michel...@tno.nl> wrote:

I noiticed no diff. so I guess its indeed time-complex.

It may also depend on the encoding of any data. For example, if you import an RDF/XML encoded dataset it will always be slower to open than a Turtle file. It’s not clear what you’re editing/importing but better to keep that in mind.

I also noticed that after startup of tbc with the new setting (4096) it was reset again (the ini setting goes back to 2048).

I update both the .ini and .ini.orig files with the new value and that works.

Cheers,
David

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Dec 5, 2017, 5:32:00 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Always use turtle when in control indeed.

Ini.orig worked in the end but with no perf. improv. It just takes time (indept. Of ram).

Thx m

Tim Smith

Dec 5, 2017, 5:40:43 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
I often run out of heap space when running TBC so I either run with a high value for -Xmx (14GB or physical RAM-2GB in extreme cases) or use TDB to take advantage of memory mapped files.

One way to see if you are memory-bound is to check to see how much memory the TBC process is consuming relative to the max amount you've allocated via the Xmx setting.  On Windows, you can see this in task manager.  I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac.  Doing this can give you some insight without the trial and error of adjusting max memory settings.

As you've said though, it's likely processor bound.  In case you are able to upgrade your hardware, one drawback to TBC is that nearly everything is single-threaded so getting the fastest processor possible is good but having multiple cores doesn't help much, unfortunately.

Tim

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Dec 5, 2017, 5:47:14 PM12/5/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Thx for the info/tips

Act. have 1.4 GB in task manager, so indeed processor-bound it seems

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

+31888663107
+31630381220