[top-politics] Open eRulemaking Platform

Markus Schatten

Jul 12, 2008, 12:26:38 PM7/12/08
to top-po...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gerold,

I finally found some time to take a look at [url]http://www.opentution.org[/url]. I really like the "Debian-style" experimental-testing-stable branches of documents. I think your concept can be very applicable to law and policy making if there is enough interest for such.

On the other hand what concerns me is the role of the moderator. If I understood well the moderator decides if some article is going to a poll or not, right? Doesn’t that open space for manipulation and corruption? Who chooses a moderator (e.g. how can a person become a moderator) in this system?

And BTW. this seems to be a very nice wiki engine, did you wrote it?

Best regards,

--
Markus Schatten

Sent from the Autopoietic Information System - TaOPis at
<http://autopoiesis.foi.hr>

Gemane

Jul 13, 2008, 7:50:35 PM7/13/08
to top-politics
Hi Markus,

I'm happy that you think the concept can be used for the law and
policy making. Of course you are right, to have it working you need a
fair amount of people but I think these people are existing. The
question for me is if this concept can avoid spam in the forums. There
are a lot of people that only complain about the current system but do
not bring in constructive work. They can destroy everything.

The poll can be started by anyone who believes the article is good
enough. Though I am not sure yet if it is best to make it depending on
only one person. Maybe a limited number of people is better.

There is no engine existing at all at the page and therefore also no
wiki-engine. For now it is just a concept. Maybe you mean the
commenting system which comes from the GNU Public License called
"stet". It uses different colors for the comments to make it easier to
see which parts got the most attention from users.

Regards,
Gerold

Gemane

Markus Schatten

Jul 15, 2008, 8:48:48 PM7/15/08
to top-po...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerold,

I agree that spam and non-constructive people are a big problem, but I think
that the concept of self-organizing filtering can avoid at least some of it.
Also the self-organizing nature of wiki systems gives me hope that such
systems can find their way into politics and law.

So, if I understood you right, anyone could start a poll on a given article,
at any time. By anyone you mean any (registered) user? So if someone starts a
poll on a given article, how many votes does it take for the article to be
accepted (e.g. moved to the next version)?

About the "wiki engine", I didn’t try to edit articles, so I supposed that
there’s a real engine behind. The thing that caught my eye some kind of text
highlighting, but I seem not to be able to find it any more... (did you
change the site?).

Gemane

Jul 16, 2008, 7:16:10 PM7/16/08
to top-politics
Hi Markus,

yes everyone needs to be registered to do any editing, commenting or
voting and in the long run it is even necessary to verify the personal
identity. The necessary votes to reach the testing level the poll has
to be over 50% with "yes" from at least 20% of the registered people.
To reach the stable level over 80% from at least 50% of the registered
users is needed. Also a time frame should be given where I am thinking
of at least 3 months. But these rules are only my suggestions and need
much more refinement. If there are more people working on the system
then probably not everyone is interested in every topic so that
different rules have to be found.

I already thought that you meant the "highlighted" page. It is called
"stet" and you find the development page at this link:
http://code.softwarefreedom.org/projects/stet
and the usage of it is here: http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/gplv3-draft-4.html

There is a SoC Student (Sommer of Code from Google) working on it
though I didn't see any changes yet. On the list was mentioned that
there was a fork done which is doing pretty much the same thing.
http://www.co-ment.net/

I did not change my page so that you still can find the commenting
system here:
http://www.opentution.org/git/Branch1/Edit1.html

I hope I could answer your questions.

Regards,