Shadytel Equipment Compatibility List for 2022

æstrid smith

Jun 28, 2022, 12:17:43 AM6/28/22
to ToorCamp

Hi everyone.  Shadytel here.  We have a couple surprises planned this year and don't want to completely spoil them, but they're the sort of thing that is much more interesting if there's a rich ecosystem of compatible equipment.  So here's a suggested equipment list to inspire you.

  • Normal analog phone

    • Once again Shadytel brings real analog dialtone service to your tent.

    • We will furnish plugs throughout the camping areas to which you can self-install your line. Bring a long enough cable for your phone! The end that plugs into us will require a standard RJ-11 connector.

      • We suggest 20 feet or better.

      • Please come prepared to arrange your line so that it is not a trip hazard. Carpet scraps are handy for this if you have them.

    • If you haven't already, you can preregister a phone number at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd-wwclEz15QAnnApvsQvEhpRab-JwGbBycugecb8wW6EgD3w/viewform

      • We can tell you for sure the number that you've been allocated once you do this, in case you are, like, I dunno, printing those glossy rave fliers or qsl cards (glossy rave fliers but for hams) for your camp or whatever. Just ask.

    • Telephone. Yes, even rotary. Loud bells are good. ring ring.

    • Answering machine. Fax machine. BBS. Dial-a-joke.

    • Dialup internet. External modem. Laptop with integrated modem.

    • Almost anything that plugs into a telephone line will do.

      • You may incur an additional charge for foreign attachments.

    • We won't have caller-id.

  • DSL modem – A limited number of DSL-capable lines may be available in some areas.

  • ISDN telephone – A limited number of ISDN BRI lines may be available in some areas. We speak only the AT&T Custom variant of ISDN, not NI-1 or Euro or DSS1 or Nortel or whatever.

  • Cup – reusable, for holding liquids that you intend to drink.

  • Bluebox – we'll be hosting a soldering workshop if you want to build one.

  • Magstripe reader – especially the kind that outputs the stripe data as keystrokes. Most cheap USB credit card readers do.

  • i2c reader with iso7816 smartcard contacts might be interesting (the usual pc/sc readers, like used for sim card hacking, won't quite work. wrong protocol. sorry.)

  • Cash money American petro-dollars to buy our swag!

See you all in just over TWO WEEKS ( *quiet panicking sounds* )
--
æstrid smith (she/her)
=<[ c y b e r ]>=