Bikepacking + Hammock Light Camping

Randy Pargman

May 27, 2024, 1:43:08 PMMay 27
to ToorCamp
Hi Toorcampers! After several years of attempting to go, this is the year I'm finally making it to the event that combines my favorite activities. I really want to embrace the spirit of minimal environmental impact, and after considering and discarding the idea of taking a sea kayak out there, I've settled on bikepacking - I'll ride my bike onto the ferry and pedal the 19 miles to camp. I'm also going to bring a portable foldable solar panel and small power bank which should keep my little laptop charged enough while staying off the grid. I want to pack light (most of my weight and space are going to that power bank!) and my usual camp gear is a hammock and rain fly. If possible, I want to leave the tent at home. My question is: are there enough trees around that we're allowed to string a hammock between? I have webbing to distribute the pressure on the tree to not harm the bark.

Thanks!
-Randy
P.S.: if you like malware, come to my workshop! :) See you at camp!

Rebecca Demarest

May 29, 2024, 9:16:35 PMMay 29
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Hey Randy! Not sure if you got a response from anyone, for some reason your missive ended up in my spam filter. Good thing I check! There are PLENTY of trees to string up along. In fact, last summer a friend of ours did just that outside our cabin instead of cramming in with the rest of us!

See you there! Looking forward to some malwarez <3

Rebecca A. Demarest Panzer
Author - Book Designer - Writing Instructor

Randy Pargman

Jun 2, 2024, 12:30:30 PMJun 2
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the insight! I’m going all in with hammock camping and leaving my tent behind. Just got some new saddle bags for my bicycle 🚴 that will let me pack the solar panel. This will be an adventure for sure!

Rebecca Demarest

Jun 2, 2024, 5:43:44 PMJun 2
to toor...@googlegroups.com

Bring an extra tarp you can string over yourself just in case it gets super rainy, and if you end up in need, come find Bacon House, well help you figure something out 🥰

Randy Pargman

Jun 26, 2024, 4:45:28 PM (3 days ago) Jun 26
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much! I took heed of the weather forecast and brought a shelter to hang over my hammock, and packed all my stuff in dry bags, so I think I'll be ok through Sunday. 🤞

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ToorCamp" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/toorcamp/CABpgm-XkR3LuWecTsV%2BhcPzpr%3DbCEmUbazF3ofh3UfrqW1-uOA%40mail.gmail.com.