ToorCamp 2022 Last Minute Info!

h1kari

Jul 9, 2022, 3:11:50 AM7/9/22
to ToorCamp

Last Minute Info!
ToorCamp is less than a week away, so here’s some last minute info to help you make the most out of this year’s event! We apologize in advance for the ridiculous amount of info in this email, hopefully you’ll be done reading it before you have to head out to camp!

Arriving at Camp
If you’re driving onto the island, please make sure to arrive at the Anacortes ferry terminal at least 45 minutes before your reserved departure time or you will be put in standby (you must be checked in at the toll booth at least 45 minutes prior). When you arrive at Doe Bay, please make the first right turn when you see the Doe Bay sign, BEFORE the road turns left and goes over a narrow bridge.

NOTE: It is important that you DO NOT PARK ON THE MAIN ROAD. We will direct you to a safe place to park inside the resort.

If you are arriving on Wednesday, we highly encourage you to stop in town on your way to camp to help us deal with the flood of people checking in when the ferry arrives and will help expedite the process when you do arrive. Once you are parked off the main road, you will immediately check in at the Registration Tent located right at the entrance to the Doe Bay Resort.

Check-In & Parking
Please make sure to bring your printed tickets with 2D barcodes to expedite the check-in process. After checking in at the Registration Tent, you will be directed to your campsite, yurt, or cabin. If you have booked your lodging through Doe Bay, we will give you a check-in packet and key so you do not need to check in at the Doe Bay office. Full payment will be taken at Check out.

Since on-site parking is limited, you will be directed to your on-site parking spot (if you have an on-site parking permit) or an unloading area before parking at the off-site lot down the street. We’ll be operating a shuttle between the off-site parking and the Registration Tent. In and out from the on-site parking is highly discouraged and in some cases may not be possible so please decide with your group ahead of time which vehicles will be parked on-site or off-site.

NOTE: Registration desk hours are 8:30am-8:30pm each day, except Wednesday which will end at 10:00pm. If you are arriving on a late ferry after those hours, there will be information posted at the Registration Tent advising where you can park and temporarily camp for the night. If you do so, please make sure to check in at the Registration desk first thing in the morning when it reopens. They  will also have a phone number posted in case you have any other registration needs that can’t wait until morning. If you are staying in a cabin and will be arriving outside of Registration hours, please let us know ahead of time so we can make arrangements to get you the key.

Code of Conduct
ToorCamp is dedicated to a harassment-free conference experience for everyone. The ToorCamp series of events are open, inclusive forums for sharing of ideas. ToorCamp participants include speakers, vendors, makers, tinkerers, families, students, and everyone else wanting to experience ToorCamp events and be a part of the ToorCamp community. Please make sure to review our full Code of Conduct and be awesome to one another!

ToorCamp Kids!
We have a great program for kids and we’re excited to be offering a number of workshops and activities that are targeted toward the younger crowd. If you are bringing any little ones, you must at the very least buy a free ticket for them. If they’re interested in taking part in the workshops, please also make sure to sign them up so we can have an accurate count.

Workshops
We have a number of great workshops lined up for you this year. Some of them require a fee, so make sure to bring cash. Workshops can be attended on a first-come, first-served basis. All workshops are posted on the talk schedule.

Events
We have a number of events happening throughout the camp that are now posted up on the website. Contests! Parties! Projects! There’s plenty of fun to be had this year. If we happen to miss anything you have planned for your camp, please let us know so we can get it posted on our events page.

NIGHTMRKT
Experience ToorCamp’s version of a traditional Asian nightmarket. They are temporary open-air bazaars operated at night where street hawkers can buy, sell, and trade whatever they’d like. Food, sketchy electronics, the hottest warez of 1992, whatever. The currency of choice is ShadyBucks.

ToorCamp will have a set of stalls set up. While a few are permanent outposts, they are largely first come, first serve. Please clean your space when you get tired of being a NIGHTMRKT vendor.

Deco Contest
Decorate your tent and win a prize! The possibilities are limited only by your imagination. The theme is Deerpunk - a mix of urban decay, subtle glows, and overgrown forest. Find Pinguino (usually at Beerocracy) or Geo (usually at the Prime Dome) to show your decorated tent (or cabin, RV, yurt) by midnight Saturday and a winner will be chosen at closing ceremonies.

Categories: Single Space (camping with 1-2 people), Group (Large group, vehicle, or cabin)

Telephone Service
ShadyTel is back this year! They’ll again be providing their (sub)standard level of telephone service to whoever stumbles across some twisted pair running through the woods or is able to bribe a technician to run a line to their tent. Make sure to bring your best landline telephones, acoustic couplers, modems, BBS software, lineman’s handsets, vampire clips, captain crunch whistles, and other equipment that’s probably been gathering dust in your parent’s attic. Unfortunately, there will be no GSM service provided this year so no need to bring your unlocked phones.

Packing List

  • Water, Food

  • Tent, Sleeping Bag, Camping Mattress

  • Lanterns (preferably non-burning), Flashlights, Headlamps (red headlamps are best)

  • Sunscreen, Bugspray, Hat

  • Warm clothing / Onesies (it'll get down to 50 degrees outdoors at night)

  • Cash (some food will be available on-site and will be cash-only)

  • Plain Old Telephone, fax machine, modem, BBS, etc.

  • Magstripe readers (for the ShadyBucks)

  • Soldering equipment, Projects to hack on

  • Towel, Swimsuit, Sandals

  • E-waste and other DeerPunk gear

  • N95 Mask for Indoor Activities

Discord Chat
Join our discord server to stay up to date during ToorCamp! We have channels for the villages and events, as well as Registration, Noc, etc. if you have any questions.

Make a Ferry Reservation
Reservations can be made online Go to Save A Spot or by calling 1-888-808-7977. As a courtesy, Doe Bay will automatically send you a reminder to make your ferry reservation just prior to the release date for vehicle reservations. For more information, visit the WSFerries website or call (360) 376-2291 to speak with Doe Bay Front Desk.

NOTE: If you don’t have a ferry reservation at this point, the last 30% of the reservation pool will be released 2 days before sailing (this coming Monday July 11th) at 7:00am.

Bathrooms and Showers
For guests without in-cabin facilities, shower houses and bathrooms are available on both the lower and upper grounds. There is also a bathroom inside the Café. Additional port-a-lets will be provided around the grounds. Please note that in order to ease the stress put on the septic system, some restrooms will be locked from 11:00a-7:00pm.

Food and Guest Kitchen
There is a guest kitchen that is available for all guests. The kitchen includes 2 full-sized refrigerators, 2 standard-sized ranges, a charcoal grill, Microwave, Toaster, Coffee maker, Tea kettle, Pots and pans, Cooking utensils, Plates, bowls, and cups, Eating utensils, Colander, Cutting board, as well as outdoor seating. Please label any food you keep in the fridge with your name and departure date or housekeeping may throw it out. Please do not take food that is not yours. Please keep this space enjoyable for all by cleaning everything you use before you leave, including the grill(s).

Other food options include Milliways, Ada's Cafe, Taco Drone, NIGHTMARKT, and the Doe Bay Cafe and General Store. The closest full supermarket is in town.

NOTE: It is not advisable to leave food in your tent or the critters will try to get in.

Quiet Hours
Please respect the other guests, our staff, and the neighbors by maintaining quiet hours between 10pm and 8am. No outdoor amplified music after 10pm.

Fire Safety
Doe Bay does not allow open flames of any kind on the property other than the community fire ring, the barbecue pit by the Guest Kitchen, and propane cook stoves. NO campfires, candles or incense are allowed at the cabins or campsites. NO fireworks of any kind are allowed at this event. There are fire extinguishers located on the outside of each cabin. In the summer, if there is no burn ban in effect on the island, a fire may be built in the community fire pit (supply your own firewood), keeping in mind quiet hours from 10pm-8am.

Dogs
To minimize issues with dogs, we have accepted applications for a number of dogs, but at this time we cannot accept any more. Please see ToorCamp’s Dog Policies for more information. If hosting your pet results in damage or the need for excessive cleaning in your cabin, you may be charged additional fees. As a comparable alternative, there is a kennel service on the island.

Doe Bay Store
Open daily: 9a-5p
The store offers gifts, groceries, ice, or supplies. They will have grab-and-go food available.

Doe Bay Cafe
Dinner reservations are recommended at the Doe Bay Café. No reservations are necessary for brunch unless your group is larger than 8. Please email Caf...@doebay.com to reserve a table. Much of the produce used in their kitchen is sourced directly on site from the Doe Bay Garden. They also utilize local purveyors to provide only the freshest local, organic ingredients for the café.

Doe Bay Spa and Soaking Tubs
We are happy to be able to offer reservations for exclusive private rentals of the outdoor soaking tubs and sauna to ToorCamp attendees. Booking a private rental is the only way to access the spa at this time. We have five 90-minute sessions available each day and the cost is $150 + tax. Each 90-minute session is limited to a maximum of 15 people. To book your spa session please follow this link.

Please follow all posted rules. Outdoor showers are a part of the Doe Bay spa experience and must be used each and every time before using the tubs or sauna. Please use a towel to sit on while using the sauna. This area is the only clothing optional portion of Doe Bay. No drugs, alcohol, smoking, pets or glass containers are allowed.

Other Things To Consider

  • In case of emergency, there is a red phone located in front of the Doe Bay store with instructions to call Doe Bay’s after-hours emergency line at (360) 376-5668.

  • There is no smoking inside any of the resort’s spaces and we ask that you remove wet or muddy shoes before entering the cabins.

  • For a complete listing of Doe Bay Resort policies, please visit the Resort Policies page.

  • Downstairs from the Doe Bay Cafe, their lounge and library is accessible 24 hours a day to guests. A good selection of books, information on the islands’ attractions, games, and puzzles make this a great place to start or end any day.

  • The outdoor deck is a wonderful spot to watch critters cavorting or to simply watch the world.

  • Therapeutic massage and bodywork at the Doe Bay Resort can be booked by visiting the DB Spa webpage.

  • Interested in kayaking? Book your 3-hour kayaking adventure with Shearwater Kayak Tours (360) 376-4699.

  • Book your whale watching adventure through Outer Island Excursions and receive a 10% discount as a Doe Bay guest.

Anyway, we can’t wait until next week! As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Otherwise, we’ll see you next week!

Thanks!
-The ToorCamp Cr3w