ToorCamp 2018 Feedback

David Hulton

Jun 26, 2018, 5:22:13 PM6/26/18
to ToorCamp
Hey everyone,

I sincerely hope you all had a total blast at ToorCamp this year. Our event definitely grew a bit from 2016 and we anticipate more growth for 2020. With that, there are many new people and new problems. In an attempt to make the next event the best it can be, (and collect information before we all quickly forget it) please send me any feedback you might have.

Good or bad, big or small, if you had any fantastic or horrible experiences, please let me know! Feel free to reply to me directly at da...@toorcon.org or reply to the thread if you think it's something everyone should see. We'll do our best to listen to everyone and try to incorporate what we hear into our plans for the next event.

Also, I know we've already said this, but THANK YOU SO MUCH for helping make this year such a great success. All of us do this out of a labor of love and it is truly humbling to see it all come together and see so many of you go through great lengths to brave the flights, long car rides, ferries, and bring out such amazing projects to share with all of us. I couldn't imagine a better family than you all, and just can't wait to see you all at the next one.

Thanks!
-David

Astrid Smith

Jun 26, 2018, 6:26:12 PM6/26/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
loud all-night music in campsite areas is an egregious affront to
decency, and went a long way towards ruining toorcamp for me this
year. eventually i had to make my way to milliways and blearily
negotiate with four or five drunk people who all claimed that they
weren't responsible for the sounds they were making. or something.
everything was unclear. anyway, if you were thankful that it suddenly
became peaceful around 5am on friday night, that was me.

either have a segregated space away from designated campsites where
it's clear that there will be 24-hour music, or have effective
enforcement to put an end to it. absent external ... encouragement,
drunk people will not voluntarily quiet themselves.

please don't take this as me being a ninny or whatever. i live next
door to like four bars and my neighborhood is a disneyland for people
from the suburbs. i live with and appreciate nighttime noise. past
about 3 am it becomes a nuisance though.

--
astrid smith
=<[ c y b e r ]>=
> --
> toorcamp/
> CAK%3Dp4C4rV7bqXFC3ndar-FDmGmijj4w1FLz2MZ%2BUH3EQjsnMuQ%40mail.gmail.com.

krux

Jun 26, 2018, 7:46:06 PM6/26/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com, Astrid Smith
I noticed the opposite this year, but I was in the upper camp. Things
were usually pretty quite past 10pm... as our camp tended to be a major
congregation point, we were making an effort to start dimming the lights
around 9pm, and shut down by 10pmish.. which tended to work out by what
I assume coincidence, as the tiki bar opened around 9pm, so it gave
folks a good place to migrate to. If you were at the tiki bar itself it
was fairly loud just because of people talking, but seemed to quite off
if you got any distance away as it was tucked away surrounded by trees.
But sounds like it was a different experience in the lower camp.

Speaking of music, has anyone anyone accidentally ended up with this
from the Psychoholics camp? We noticed it went missing some time after
Friday night. I would tend to think maybe it got put in something and
we haven't found it yet, or it walked off and was either set in
someone's camp by one of us or someone distracted by a shiny.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744JGZ1T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is the source of my music/podcasts while in the shower, so hopefully
it'll turn up before I give up and buy a replacement.

Also we didn't get their name, but many many thanks to the person who
returned my phone, which fell out of my pocket at some point Saturday
night.

Piotr Esden-Tempski

Jun 26, 2018, 11:06:22 PM6/26/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Astrid for this community service.

This camp was generally a much better experience for us as we were able to get some sleep at night. Because we camped far far away from Milliways.

Our experiance from two years ago, where we were camped right next to Milliways and they were blasting loud music most of the night, was the reason why I asked about a designated “quiet” camp for this years event on the mailinglist. I was confronted with a juvenile joke about jelly shots. Not all of us are stuck at college party age. ;-) Fortunately we were not the only ones that felt that sleep is a good recipe for a fun event, and thanks to Twitter we found out which organizers to contact when we got there.

Thankfully when we arrived we asked the organizers, where to find a good quiet spot to camp, and they were very accommodating. It ended up being a much better experience this year because of that. Still there were some late night fireball effects that were droning through the bay deep into the night and some loud music. The county curfew of 10pm is a welcomed one but it was not enforced very vigilantely. I am ok with some flexibility on this but still… :)

All that said I really wish that the organizers would designate a specific Quiet Camp on the map far away from a designated party scene area for 2020. The unofficial quiet area between the main camp and the dome was not well marked or communicated. Also I wish that the county curfew of 10pm was being enforced a bit more at camp. It should never be the attendees having to get up in the middle of the night to tell partiers to stop making noise.

Overall I was still very happy with the event! Lot’s of very interesting and fun people, some good celebration and beautiful nature surrounding all of us. Thank you everyone who made that possible. We will definitely be buying tickets for the next event as soon as they become available! :D

Cheers,
Piotr
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/toorcamp/20180626222605.GH25176%40dong.corp.xrtc.net.

Matt Joyce

Jun 27, 2018, 11:03:43 AM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I slept with milliways as I always do.  It was only loud on friday and saturday.

We silenced music for weekday evenings as requested.

Honestly, the live DJ set on friday was a bit louder than necessary ( the dj may have been used to a larger venue... ) but otherwise it was fine by me.  And my tent was maybe 30 feet from the dome speakers.

different strokes for different folks i guess.

-matt

Tanner Scott

Jun 27, 2018, 11:46:55 AM6/27/18
to ToorCamp
I thought that the quiet camping areas were for people who wanted to sleep at a specific time.  Maybe you would enjoy camping in the quiet area more, keep an eye out for it next year.

Steven Bochinski

Jun 27, 2018, 11:55:26 AM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I really think we need to have a 24 hour hangout space that music can
be played in. Have the quiet area up by the dome - no one hangs out
there much in the evening and have the music/noise where it was this
year by milliways. More thoughts to follow...
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/toorcamp/20180626222605.GH25176%40dong.corp.xrtc.net.

Pinguino

Jun 27, 2018, 1:34:25 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I would love a 24hr hangout space even if it’s not super loud. I found myself awake til daylight every day with a handful of people anyways.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/toorcamp/CAMp%2Ba4qHnCbpLDe37H%2BunBmVmJk5PeAk1u4K9tYMYQExUS4VsA%40mail.gmail.com.

awgh

Jun 27, 2018, 5:44:03 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com

Related to this - Milliways will always be in the party area rather than
the quiet area, and there must always be a party area.  Those of you
that sleep at 10pm may not realize just how many people are up and about
in the wee hours.  We are not typically diurnal folk, in the aggregate.

I totally get the concern here; I also sleep in the quiet area and not
at Milliways because when I need to sleep, I need to sleep.  The quiet
area at this site was the upper field last time, and it's possible that
could have been communicated more clearly by the org ahead of time, I
don't know.

That said, I don't want to annoy people, so it might be good to start
thinking about this in terms of measurable data.

It would be useful to have some way of measuring sound and then have
whatever the noise guidelines are in some units we can measure.

Decibels?  We could get a decibel meter and do some range tests, then
have a pretty easy way to know where on the volume slider was OK for
what times, etc.

Otherwise, it turns into a back-and-forth.  If we have a known decibel
limit, we could build a little "red alert" box that would tell our DJs
to turn it down with a raspberry pi or something.

I think this would be fun regardless, and it would let us have music of
some form in the quieter hours and prevent us from making too much noise
(according to some measurements) to wake people up or disturb the
neighbors.  I think if we're negotiating over measurable numbers, it
gives us a simple dial we can turn to make future adjustments.  After
all, everyone is getting older and the world is getting more crowded, so
this is likely to be a sliding scale over time.

We can't go full silent disco as some have suggested because Milliways
is a very social operation, more about conversations than dancing.

Apologies for any uneasy nights - next time let me know, I had an extra
quiet sleeping space totally free as a loaner on Friday.

- b

Matt Joyce

Jun 27, 2018, 5:45:32 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Deployable deciblemeters / LED strips could be a really fun art project....

Jaq

Jun 27, 2018, 7:26:06 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I understand some people may have trouble with noise issues at camping events (by the way, earplugs are cheap and plentiful).

"egregious affront to decency"

Umm . . . for one thing, 'decency'? Please define, since the lack of definition of this word has been, for at least centuries, used to oppress those who do not fall in with the norm/majority/predominant culture.

'affront' again . . . are you serious with this verbage?

'egregious', I can guess the context you meant with this one, but is was it really so 'shocking' that you heard music late into the morning while camped next to one of the largest organized groups at an infosec camping conference?

I don't usually engage in these types of public airings of minor grievances, but I'd just like to point out that there is a tendency to lapse into overly oppressive language to drive home the point that one has been inconvenienced, however, this type of language has grave consequences when lumped into the greater societal tendency to enforce behavioral norms.

Camping events are a chance for us weirdos to get away from the day to day norms (including the habit of closing social spaces at 2am). We understand that some people like to go to sleep early, and much of the grounds was set aside for this purpose (take it from someone who roams around until the wee hours looking for nocturnal social spaces and having a hard time finding them).

I think an 'ask' for better communication about where the evening quiet spaces will be at the next Toorcamp would be more constructive than trying to shame a group of people who were doing a bang up job at providing a wonderful late night interactive social space for those who needed it.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/
> toorcamp/
> CAK%3Dp4C4rV7bqXFC3ndar-FDmGmijj4w1FLz2MZ%2BUH3EQjsnMuQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Matt Joyce

Jun 27, 2018, 7:52:10 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I mean anything I don't like is an egregious affront to decency and an attack on the moral fabric of society. Nay it is an attack on civilization and order itself.  Of course that's really my inner dictator leaking out.

=P

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/
> toorcamp/
> CAK%3Dp4C4rV7bqXFC3ndar-FDmGmijj4w1FLz2MZ%2BUH3EQjsnMuQ%40mail.gmail.com.

krux

Jun 27, 2018, 8:46:07 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com, Matt Joyce

We can take care of that leak with some quick set epoxy :)  It'll be fine.

I personally appreciate the late night places to hang out and talk with cool folks.  Those spaces, such as the tiki bar, are where I met several people this year who I found to be quite awesome.

I think what some folks are bringing up is maybe wanting the amplified music to be at least turned down a smidgen past a certain hour posted hour, or at least wanting good clarification of where these areas are so people can appropriately plan accordingly via it wanting sleep or to party.

And a final note that earplugs++ as a must have when camping at toorcamp, since it may not be loud music and people, but the cacophony of people snoring that is keeping you awake.

Tyler Menezes

Jun 27, 2018, 9:35:43 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
To be fair I think this is more about expectations. As a new attendee, all I heard was "no amplified music past 10" and we took that pretty seriously in student camp.

As we were in the "quiet area" this particular issue did not affect me, but it would be nice to know what's actually up.

Tyler Menezes

krux

Jun 27, 2018, 9:47:39 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com

Oh hi!

/waves at Jaq from across the internet

On 2018-06-27 16:25, Jaq wrote:

[ ... thread about people getting upset there was music ... ]

krux

Jun 27, 2018, 10:04:39 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com

Next up Krux learns how to email.

Dave Null

Jun 27, 2018, 10:17:29 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
It's OK, we know it's your first day

-noid
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free - Goethe

krux

Jun 27, 2018, 10:22:04 PM6/27/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com, Dave Null

Astrid Smith

Jun 28, 2018, 1:43:01 AM6/28/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
i was in the same spot previous toorcamp and don't recall it being an issue for me then. i guess next time around i should plan to find a more suitable location for the shadytel geriatric ward.

(in case you are unaware, i am not new to hacker camping. clearly getting older and bitchier, though.)

Sent from my Teletype
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to toorcamp+u...@googlegroups.com.

Sara-Jayne Terp

Jun 28, 2018, 2:01:47 AM6/28/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I was in one of the closest tents to Milliways. I'm very good at falling asleep, and loved being able to nap then rejoin the milliways or fireside late-night parties. I also snore somewhere high on the Richter scale.

I totally agree with the quiet campsite and volume meter project, but also please please keep the camping spots that are close to the parties!

Sj
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to toorcamp+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

macker

Jul 1, 2018, 8:54:36 AM7/1/18
to ToorCamp
Several things,

https://i.imgur.com/Gss6YM0.png - Yeah let's start there, whatever... Here's your executive order...

I don't recall Milliways being loud, other than Fri and Sat, and it wasn't all night or even past midnight. We stretched it a bit and toned down after 10pm like everyone else, but our DJ is sleeping by 11pm, so confused where all this music from Milliways is coming from, in these 5am, blaring drunken raves or whatever . Also, we are next to noisy places, so I fail to see where you are coming from. Now, If I have 3 kegs there and people are chilling talking all night, that's different than music blasting until 5am - which I call bullshit on. Chronomex I'm not cool with forcing people to get bed at 10pm, and if it wasn't music, it would be loud chatter I assume?

The only noise was everyone hanging out at the fire, but apparently that isn't an issue? Next time ill set up new rule, no interesting conversation past 10pm or something.

I am like other folks and need my sleepy time too, hence why I camp away. When I need to crash, I need to crash. But I am kind of confused; when you tent next to party spot, on Doe bay, and complain about noise after 10pm, when most of us don't even sleep at that time on a work night, much less camp uh... Everyone had 4 cabins bumpin  til early morn, just saying...

Just let me know if you need a geriatric section for the 10pm bedtime.

~macker

daniel serpa

Jul 2, 2018, 2:19:12 AM7/2/18
to ToorCamp
Pfffft. We did a great job!!!

Lenore Edman

Jul 11, 2018, 3:59:36 PM7/11/18
to ToorCamp
Thank you for ToorCamp. I had an amazing time. I'm still mulling over the experiences.

Feedback on shirts: Please offer shirts in women's sizes. If you think it is cost prohibitive, please contact me and I will find you a sponsor to cover the cost difference. If you think it is design prohibitive, please specify shirt colors available in the selected styles to the designer before they start on the design. Designers can work within constraints. Lastly, please make sure that at least one woman reviews the design before sending it to production.
Thanks,
Lenore

Steven Bochinski

Jul 11, 2018, 4:31:26 PM7/11/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I have to say a BIG THANKS to all the cool staff that I worked with
and CHEERS to everyone else who attended toorcamp 2018!!! What a fine
group of people - I couldn't think of anything better to do for
professional development!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/toorcamp/82003194-30b4-4294-9cff-cd12130c00e1%40googlegroups.com.

krux

Jul 11, 2018, 5:24:40 PM7/11/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com, Lenore Edman

I like that idea.  That's one of the things we pushed for when we created t-shirts for our hackerspace, SYN Shop.

Tim Huynh

Jul 12, 2018, 12:44:19 AM7/12/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com, Lenore Edman
Lenore,
Love that feed back, we always get sizing wrong. So one thing about it being 5 days is everyone kind of has 5 mins to spare somewhere. How about we bring the shirt presses out and people can press there own shirt! We'll get a big pile of shirts in all kinds of sizes and styles or you can bring your own. We'll make up a few different screens for people to play around with. You can press your own or one for your other 500 new friends. We'll open up some design contest too or something, probably last minute but what ever.

thanks,
Tim

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:24 PM, krux <kr...@thcnet.net> wrote:

I like that idea.  That's one of the things we pushed for when we created t-shirts for our hackerspace, SYN Shop.

pinguino

Jul 12, 2018, 12:48:10 AM7/12/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com, lenore...@gmail.com
I *LOVE* this idea

Screenprint EVERYTHING

On 2018-07-11 12:59, Lenore Edman wrote:

[...]

Pinguino Kolb
photographer/illustrator
http://www.ivomitrainbows.com

Karl Koscher

Steven Bochinski

Jul 12, 2018, 11:36:41 AM7/12/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
It would be cool to have some silk screens made with the current years
images so we could print/stencil it on any/everything!!!
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/toorcamp/CAKbLhNjeets0As3C8mBEYVx%2BwBP4W9toYBFed8HoRf6m7EOBbA%40mail.gmail.com.

Tim Huynh

Jul 12, 2018, 1:25:58 PM7/12/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Totally Karl. Honestly we use to really put a lot of effort and time into style, cuts, counts, and all that when it came to our tshirts. Other then Pinguino and her awesome design work, we have been slacking on the tshirt side of things. Sadly after 20 years of doing these things and a closet full of shirts you kind of end up just phoning it in. Frankly making t-shirts are not as exciting as designing a v6 geo-dome with wifi or a 10' x 60' LED sign.

That said, shirts are a really important of the Con experience. Thank you Lenore for reminding us of that. I think this press your own shirt fits really well with our ethos of not only learning how to do something but actually doing it. It should be fun and I'm excited to see how creative people get. ToorCamp can't come soon enough.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:50 PM, Karl Koscher <supe...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

macker

Jul 13, 2018, 11:58:36 AM7/13/18
to ToorCamp
I want form-fitting toorcamp jeans. Bring back the 70's. Or not. MIlliways has some fun clothing planned for next camp, stay tuned...

Meta

Jul 17, 2018, 1:18:26 PM7/17/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com
First of all, THANK YOU! Toorcamp is by far my favorite event and everyone works so hard to make it happen, it's sincerely appreciated. :) Badges were awesome this year as were all the theme camps! Nice work on the 60' TOORCAMP sign, that was pretty epic at night.

I think Rob commented on this as well, but it would be really nice have access to the talk videos, especially for speakers, but also for showing off how awesome Toorcamp is and for the attendees that may have missed a talk because they were enjoying the camping aspects.

-- Marcus Hodges

David Hulton

Matt Joyce

Jul 18, 2018, 5:36:52 PM7/18/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com, g...@toorcon.org
I really just want to see cam footage from the food delivery drones.

Meta

Jul 26, 2018, 11:58:02 AM7/26/18
to toor...@googlegroups.com, Geo at ToorCon dot Org

Jason Kobes