ACTION REQUIRED: Milliways @ ToorCamp 2022 Food Survey and WhiskeyLeaks

Ben Kurtz

Mar 23, 2022, 5:22:09 PM3/23/22
to toor...@googlegroups.com, milliways
Hey folks!  I'm with Milliways, and I'd like to explain what we're
about in case there are new people on these lists.  If
you're not new, you've read several versions of this over the years, but PLEASE
click on the NEW survey link (https://bit.ly/milliways2022food) and check out the ALL CAPS bits.  We need this info for food estimates!

We have two big grills and a bunch of camp kitchen stuff we reuse for
every Toorcamp.  This year, we're adding a propane-powered PIZZA oven
to the kitchen for personal pizzas and calzones!  We also have a new shared DJ setup this year (more info below).

We buy a ton of food and beer (and mate`) up-front and then sell challenge
coins to fund that ( we also have a donation jar out ).  We have a
really cool coin this year, once again designed by daravinne.

We're also 100% volunteers, and we will take work in trade.  What does
that mean?  We need need NEED people to volunteer to cook or assist for
a meal at some point during the event.  If you have more money than
some, maybe give us a bigger donation.  If you have less, maybe do a
little more time in the kitchen or something.  We don't really enforce
any of this, it's kind of on the Stone Soup model.  Everyone puts in
what they can and it always seems to work out.

We'll likely have choose-your-own adventure breakfasts and lunches
(pancakes, eggs, bacon, veggie sausage patties, pizzas, etc.) and if you're
hungry and  no one is cooking already... just start cooking.  You may
end up feeding a bunch of other people, but that's how it goes (we won't
make you cook for too long).  This is the model we eventually settled
on, because people get hungry at random times (6am, 2am, etc.)  We can
give you a safety training on the grill if you need one, but the main
rule is "Don't leave the marshmallows on the table, the deer will steal
them."

We will have organized and somewhat-planned dinners, and we're also
going to have a party dome similar to every other camp.

ATTN DJs:
We're opening up the DJ equipment to anyone who brings tracks and
wants to try their skills (or learn!).  It's a Traktor S4 mk3, so bring your FLAC
tracks and take a volunteer DJ shift :)

So... all that said, please please PLEASE fill out our food survey so
we have some idea of how many people are coming and what your dietary
restrictions are!

FOOD SURVEY HERE:  https://bit.ly/milliways2022food

MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you are an awesome cook or have an awesome recipe
that can feed ~100 people, please let me know!  We treat our cooks very
well, and we'll support you with helpers and material.  Even if you have
vaguely-formed ideas, we'll take them.

ATTN NEW PEOPLE:
This is not a club or a "real" organization, it's basically just a
cooperative food and beer (and mate') scheme that operates in every hacker camp on
the planet.  If you show up and do your part, you're a
full member... which really doesn't mean anything, but hey there's
food and cool people
:)  And if you're ever at CCC Camp or EMF or MCH, just find the
Milliways camp and introduce yourself, it works the same everywhere.
We're on the map.

We also have a separate mailing list and IRC/Matrix channel and will be
organizing carpools, so please join the mailing list!
IRC:  #milliways on irc.hackint.org
Matrix: https://matrix.to/#/!iPRTmLJGAARJMIXxiX:milliways.info

WHISKEYLEAKS

One night of the event, we do something called WhiskeyLeaks, where
everyone brings a bottle of whiskey (or bourbon or scotch or whisky or
???) to share and puts it on a table.  We look at the pile for a few
minutes and then, as a group, drink it.  So... bring an interesting
bottle from your homeland to share.

That's... literally all there is to know about Milliways :)

Please email me directly at aw...@awgh.org if you have any problems or questions!

Looking forward to seeing all of you at camp!

Cheers,

- Ben