JCO reprint

Gary Couzens

Sep 24, 2010, 4:01:30 AM9/24/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I'm a little late on this one, but JCO's story "[black rectangle]" (I'm not
sure how you're meant to say it) has been reprinted in Darkness: Two Decades
of Modern Horror, edited by Ellen Datlow for Tachyon Books, March 2010.

Gary

Max Alberts

Sep 24, 2010, 9:16:10 AM9/24/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if we could share our perceptions of the elements that constitute a great horror story? Some us us may favor the subtle approach, others more the grand guignol style. Since it's suddenly autumn, and the wind is blowing cold and my fireplace wil be lit for the first time of the season tonight, I'm looking not only for perceptions, but recommendations that will scare the sleep out of me. Thanks, everyone!

--- On Fri, 9/24/10, Gary Couzens <gjco...@btinternet.com> wrote:
Groups "Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates Discussion Group."

toneclusters+unsub...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

Carol Kean

Sep 24, 2010, 10:27:30 AM9/24/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, I love this, Max. I hope you write novels or
stories: // suddenly autumn, and the wind is
blowing cold and my fireplace wil be lit for the
first time of the season tonight//

What the heck is the grand guignol style? Guignol. Google it, Carol:

Grand Gui·gnol (gräN g -nyôl') -- Drama that
emphasizes the horrifying or the macabre.

Guignol is the main character in a French puppet
show which has come to bear his name.
Although often thought of as children's
entertainment, Guignol's sharp wit and linguistic
verve have always been appreciated by adults as
well, as shown by the motto of a prominent Lyon
troupe: "Guignol amuses children... and witty adults".

Okay... horror stories? I never read them. To me,
real life is scary enough. Sex traffickers, and
what they do to little girls. But i'm willing to
broaden my horizons with guignol.

Carol

Oehling, Rick

Sep 24, 2010, 10:33:10 PM9/24/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all
Well, Max, I first thought of this wicked 4-page story from The Poisoned Kiss entitled "The Brain of Doctor Vicente." Dr Vicente's "body" died of cancer but his research team has preserved his brain in a chamber. They are trying to find his brain a new body to inhabit. But every time they propose a body to "him" (it?), Dr Vicente's brain sends out the one-word communication: "Impossible!" Only four-pages, but each sentence is deeply unsettling. It is also one of those rare ventures of Oates into science fiction or, more accurately, speculative fiction. Since I'm teaching "Wonderland" (Grand Guignol filtered through mid-century America) to college freshmen (yes, I know) I have the book on my mind all the time. And Wonderland is of course obsessed with brains and souls and their eerie relationship. So I wasn't surprised to read in the Afterword of "The Poisoned Kiss" that Oates composed the these bizarre stories while writing Wonderland, a novel she describes as "obviously the most bizarre and obsessive" of her early works. My brain hurts and says it wants to leave the building.
It seems to me in these instances that Oates' use of horror is based in part on her "tragic" view of existence, which makes her very different, I feel, from her American contemporaries who specialize in horror. Which raises the bizarre question: Is Stephen King really a comic writer? Certainly the contrived "happy" endings of some of his books suggest that death and horror can eventually be out-distanced... if you can run fast enough. Maybe that's not fair. I've only read a half dozen books by him and certainly "Carrie" (going by the film) wouldn't strike anyone as comedy. Well, maybe a Jacobean revenge comedy.
Carol, your mention of sex traffickers necessitates mention of Oates' harrowing treatment of that subject: "Doll: A Romance of the Mississippi." Merely recounting the plot of this story to my (adult) students has resulted in major trauma to all parties involved. It is in "The Female of the Species" a fairly recent collection. Trust me, you'll never get over it.
Rick
Sep 24, 2010, 11:43:07 PM9/24/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Rick, I ordered a copy from bookfinder.com, thanks to your post.

Wonderland - I thought that was a movie about a porn star, and thugs
with pipes come in and bash skulls, with blood flying. But wait. I
thought the BOOK was about a boy who grew up to become a doctor?

Okay, so it's on my shelf but I haven't read it. And yet I buy more
books. Go figure.

Thanks,

Adva Weinerman

Sep 25, 2010, 8:05:41 AM9/25/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com

I enjoy the topic, as it gives me a little insight regarding the one thing I will never read: horror books, nor horror movies. Enough horrors in reality. I live in Israel, and we have our monthly, daily, yearly share of horrors via wars and terror (a wonderful country none the less, lest you are afraid visiting).

Could it be that those who enjoy it live in peaceful places? Just wondering. Or is it a way to deal with reality?

I am very keen to understand the psychology behind the desire to read horror books. Those of you who enjoy it, would you give me more insight into the matter? I still remember an innocent book of Agatha Christie's during adolescence and how it made me be afraid for many days, to go into a dark room. My husband tells me "it is only a movie" when I show fear or disgust... do I have too much identification sense or what?

Adva

Sep 25, 2010, 10:26:45 AM9/25/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Because I'm teaching Wonderland, I have to read it very carefully. I'm astounded at how Oates constructed it with such care. Even bathroom graffiti that Jesse studies in Part I is brilliantly echoed in a scene with Mrs Pederson at the end of Chapter 9. Graffiti foreshadowing "one of the terrible secrets of the world." How cool is that?
Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. However, my memories of first reading Wonderland in 1987 suggest I plunged through one-way it. I remember reading most of it on an overnight bus trip to DC for a March for the Homeless. Huge giant gulps of Wonderland and then the AIDS quilt and the Homeless March... back on the bus to home, my mind in a whirl. The March itself broke my heart. There were thousands of Vietnam vets standing in tight groups, watching everyone else warily. TV celebs making speeches. The vets shouting "We don't HAVE TVs!" Discord everywhere. Reminding me of the anti-war rally Helene attends in "Wonderland." However, at the AIDS quilt, no one was fist-pumping or shouting. Grieving, but there was also laughter. Made me wonder if there aren't better ways of gathering publicly and sharing feeling than rallies and protests and speechifying.
Which makes me wonder what Obama thinks of Oates. You KNOW he's read her -- probably even a lot. I'm sure he has interesting things to say about JCO but I doubt any journalist besides Bill Moyers would let him talk about literature at length.
Rick
Sep 27, 2010, 12:55:54 PM9/27/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Good morning, all, especially Rick,

FEMALE OF THE SPECIES contains some terrific work, as does THE MUSEUM OF DR. MOSES. High quality speculative fiction is difficult to write. Much of it becomes unintentionally (?) funny. Consider for instance, "Murders in the Rue Morgue" by Edgar Allen Poe. (Spoiler alert.) Now, I have no idea whether or not Poe intended the story to be darkly comic (many horror stories are), but the scene in which the orangutan attempts to use a straight razor to shave himself in front of a mirror, which he has seen his sailor companion do, is vivid and hilarious. This shaving episode is in fact what sets the monkey off on his rampage. The orangutan goes on to shove an entire human body up a chimney (also to my mind, a sick but comic scene). Poe relied a great deal on irony and allegory to get his point across ("The Masque of the Red Death" combines both qualities so obviously that one knows by the first paragraph how the story will turn out.) Poe's reputation in the canon remains consistently unsteady for these very reasons.

What's of much more interest to me are the actual facts surrounding Poe's death. Contemporary medical thinking now leans in the direction that Poe died, not of alcohol and narcotic withdrawal, but of rabies. And there's a current trade paperback called RABIES MOM (I'm not inventing this) whose daughter died of rabies due to the mother's neglect. To read about and explore the consciousness of a real human being trapped hopelessly in such a grinding predicament is chilling--and heartbreaking--as well as terrifying. (Especially if you're at all phobic.) This kind of writing does leans toward the sensational and lurid, but not gratuitously. It works.

Joyce Carol Oates writes of similar "horrors" in our everyday life. and those stories are, for me, much more frightening and unforgettable than anything that sets out in a contrived way to be scary. Go to her collection,THE WHEEL OF LOVE to find out just what I mean. There you'll find classics such as "Boy and Girl" and "Wild Saturday" which will knock you over.

By the way, I've taught college freshmen myself, Rick. It just keeps getting worse. But that's a whole other story, as they say. Good luck.

MAX

--- On Fri, 9/24/10, Oehling, Rick <oehl...@uww.edu> wrote:

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

Gordon Pryce

Sep 27, 2010, 4:11:12 PM9/27/10
to JCO Online Book Club
Hi Everyone,

I was waiting for someone to mention Poe.  Besides Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” and Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” (and Peter Benchley’s Jaws? – Naahh  –) I have yet to encounter literature as unsettling as Edgar Allen Poe’s “Tell Tail Heart”, “Cask of Amontillado”, and “The Fall of the House of Usher”; especially the latter two.  When the topic was first introduced by Max I thought to myself – “Horror?  Have I ever read any Horror?”  Then the memories came sprinkling back to me.  Like Adva it’s not really my genre but since I like any lit that’s good, I’ll have to check out some more sometime.

But can anyone compare to the aforementioned works by Shelley, Stoker, and Poe?  At some point I’ll have to look into it and form my own subjective opinion.  Thank you Max and Rick for the recommendations.

Sincerely,
Gordon

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:55:54 -0700
From: maxalbe...@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: [JCO:921] what makes a great horror story?

Max Alberts

Sep 27, 2010, 4:39:12 PM9/27/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Everyone!

The late, brilliant feminist Andrea Dworkin's text, INTERCOURSE, contains a study of DRACULA which is worth the price of the volume. Dworkin's  analysis is extraordinarily complex, but boils down essentially to her theory that this paticular novel is a metaphorical prophecy of rape in the 20th century, with both women AND men as pawns of the patriarchal vampyre. (Coppola's film was much more a romance of "love across the centuries" than an actual horror movie.) Off topic a bit, it seems to me that Roman Polanski is a master of the horror genre vis a vis film, and Ridly Scott had a masterpiece in the original Alien. (I had to call my therapist after seeing that film for the first time. Seriously. I sat in my bedroom and thought, how am I going to get these images out of my head and my stomach?) I'm glad I saw that film without benefit of, shall we say, mood transformers. I'd be in a mental hospital today.

g.p...@hotmail.com

Sep 27, 2010, 5:45:27 PM9/27/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Fascinating. Finally someone who shares my sentiment! Yes the Coppola movie was more of a love story than anything else. And I own and love that movie for it! You actually feel sorry for Dracula (Gary Oldman) at one point when Wilhelmena (Winona Ryder) rejected him. He cried like a baby.

If you'll forgive my slight digression as well, there was another novel/movie I neglected to mention and that's H.G. Wells "World of the Worlds". In this case a scarier read than major motion picture. Dracula was kind and pales in comparison to what those aliens intended for humankind.

~Gordon

From: Max Alberts <maxalbe...@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:39:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [JCO:923] what makes a great horror story?

Oehling, Rick

Sep 27, 2010, 6:14:53 PM9/27/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
The mention of Poe gets to the heart of this question of how "horror" operates in Oates' fiction. As you noted, Max, there are countless horror writers who are more "suspenseful" than Poe. You can where he is going miles before he gets there and his stories rarely surprise us at all. And he holds up well to re-reading. All of which suggests that Poe, like Lovecraft (who Oates also admires) is really about the contemplation of horror rather than the flight from horror. You know the House of Usher is going to fall: if you missed it in the title, the narrator points out a huge crack in the facade of the house in the FIRST paragraph. And it is not really a scary story in the way that horror films can keep an entire audience on the edge of their seats. The idea seems to be that horrific scenes can be studied, contemplated, even meditated upon... sort of like a painting like Delacroix's "Massacre at Chios" or Gericault's "Raft of the Medusa" or Goya's "Saturn Eating His CHildren." A painter can't move the action on to the next scene the way a filmmaker can. Oates seems closer to traditional painting in this regard than film. And sometimes, as when Jesse comes ome from school on that fateful December afternoon, the violence has already taken place. When he steps into the kitchen, his face "opens up" with the warmth of the house and the smell of something sweet -- blood.
Rick
________________________________
Sep 27, 2010, 7:01:12 PM9/27/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
What was the title of the Coppola film?  Dracula?  Never saw it.

Max, you're funny. Movies rarely get to me, though the B&W "A Night to Remember" (sinking of the Titanic) was haunting and a downer.

What gets me is my dreams. I'm still mad at my husband for a dream, 20 years ago, in which I climbed the spiral staircase of a southern mansion and found him contentedlys moking a cigar in a big bed while the hooker tried to sneak down the back staircase. How far from truth could a dream get? Wow, that one felt real.

Last night, a little 1960s boy doll from my childhood was coveted by some rich collector who kept trying to steal it. All day I have been concerned about this doll, wondering how I'd ever find another like it. I keep meaning to go look for him, in a shoe box in my closet (I think - I hope!!) but haven't had a chance. Maybe I'll find a mouse ate Marvin. Oooh.

Dreams. Way worse than movies....or novels...

Carol

g.p...@hotmail.com

Sep 27, 2010, 9:41:44 PM9/27/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you are remembering your dreams Carol. An interesting phenomenon in light of what most (2\3) of the theorist theories support we want to do with dreams. If I could or just would remember my dreams like that - I'd write a about a million scripts! :)

And that's right they can seem way worse than movies or novels. There is nothing greater than waking up and saying, "Oh thank God that was a dream (/nightmare)!"

In any event, Carol the foregoing movie you asked about is entitled "Bram Stoker's Dracula" directed by Francis Ford Coppola, just like that. Google it and you can't miss it. As you can see, Max and I recommend it. Strongly.

Approach with an open mind because it's 'strange' and different and most of all... a love story.

Enjoy,
Gordon

From: Carol Kean <kean...@inabc.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:01:12 -0500
Subject: [JCO:926] what makes a great horror story?

Carol Kean

Sep 27, 2010, 10:05:22 PM9/27/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Gordon, tell me more. A theorist theory? We writers should tap into
our dreams more?

"Black Water" (JCO's Chappaquidditch, sp, inpsired story) had a dream
like quality all throughout.

In Internet Writer's Workshop, a woman writing a vampire novel
included a dream sequence that was so beautiful, I said, "You had to
be describing a dream you actually had." Indeed, she had. It seems
writers can't seem to tap the conscious brain for anything as
surreal, profound, beautiful or moving as dream images from the dark
of night (our subconscious).

Of course I heard of (but didn't rent) Bram Stoker's Dracula. Now I
will. Thanks for the recommendation.

When is the movie version of Rape: A Love Story due out?? And how
about the Johnny Depp "Dark Shadows"--?

"Man Crazy" would be a violent, graphic film. Don't think I'd want to watch it.

Carol

Gordon Pryce

Sep 28, 2010, 2:06:04 PM9/28/10
to JCO Online Book Club
Carol I would have to dig up my undergrad research paper on dreams to provide more concrete specifics but out of the three I recall two: Prophecy or “Daily Residues” as Freud termed it.  I used Freud’s “The Interpretation of Dreams” as not my sole but main resource.  According to my vague recollection of his theory we experience numerous conflicts throughout the days of our lives and at some-point I imagine some of those conflicts come to a head and get dealt with during our delta sleep (deep sleep) by any means of the “Dreamwork”.  That’s what makes some dreams so strong while they’re happening but so disturbing at the same time that they are rendered easy to forget.  He believed that we aimed to resolve the conflicts and then quickly put them behind us.  This is just one spin on many theories put forth by both by he and other theorist.

But I agree with you, they are not always unpleasant and often they are downright beautiful and exciting but dog-on-it every time I wake up with a grand tale to tell… I forget.  Then I blame Freud and move on with my life.  I wouldn’t be surprised if JCO sleeps with a pen and pad at the ready on her bed table.  I’ll have to do that one day, SERIOUSLY.

You’re welcome on the movie recommendation (Dracula).  I took yet another look at it last night for good measure.  Please add the word ‘phantasmagorical’ to the list of descriptive words I used previously.  And I couldn’t get Max’s comments from a prior email regarding Dracula out of my head:

“The late, brilliant feminist Andrea Dworkin's text, INTERCOURSE, contains a study of DRACULA which is worth the price of the volume. Dworkin's analysis is extraordinarily complex, but boils down essentially to her theory that this particular novel is a metaphorical prophecy of rape in the 20th century, with both women AND men as pawns of the patriarchal vampire.”

It seemed to ring of such truth to me.  Dracula is just a bully that get’s what ever wants… sooner or later.

~Gordon

> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:05:22 -0500
> To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com
> From: kean...@inabc.net
> Subject: [JCO:928] "Thank God it was a dream; now, to make it a novel..."

Adva Weinerman

Sep 28, 2010, 4:31:11 PM9/28/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com

As it happens, dreams are a topic that greatly interests me for various reasons, so much so, that during a period of my psychological studies that were also years of conflicts, on which I dreamed again and again, I created a model that is very helpful in "solving' them.

Basically, there are the creative type of people, such as writers and painters (I am both, and I have an oil which successfully depicted a picture I saw in my dream of a young mother and two children with a background of many squares each in different color) and or hysterics of any kind and those who have what is called right brain dominancy. These people are more prone to exercise less inhibitions, so they are more likely to remember their dreams, as opposed to great many who practice inhibitory mechanism, lest they get a feel of what is really going on in their minds.

Freud also said that part of our dreams are also about wishes.

Eager dreamers can learn how to remember their dreams, if anyone is interested I can tip you.

Dreams as far as my experience goes, are indeed about conflicts of any kind. Once the conflict has been resolved, the dreams would move on to other issues. I used to have two personas I would constantly dream of for many years, and they would reappear in different ways, but always in similar ways, so I knew they were representatives of those two personas. Once the conflict was solved, they simply went away to my huge relief.

I think not a few novelist dream away scenes and also incorporate dreams in their books.

Back to the topic of horror books, if you folks are afraid of nightmares, as would I, why would you read horror books that are after all night mares of sorts? I am still mystified and would like some psychological explanation.

Adva

Sep 28, 2010, 7:11:29 PM9/28/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Yes Adva!!! The third factor is wishes! I've been racking my brain for years on that instead of digging up that research paper. Thank you for that and your discourse. Perhaps you and I should consider corresponding and psychobabbling each other to death on day :) But seriously I've studied and worked in the Psychology field myself so I love it and can identify with you.

Regarding your question though, roughly, it's the catharsis we learned from Aristotle - the release of pity and fear. Horror is like tragedy in that sense. We only suffer indirectly while concurrently noting what kind of effort the artist\artists poured into the work. But again I'm just opining.

~Gordon

From: Adva Weinerman <adva...@netvision.net.il>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:31:11 +0200
Subject: RE: [JCO:930] "Thank God it was a dream; now, to make it a novel..."

Caldarera, Leslie

Sep 28, 2010, 7:37:49 PM9/28/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Adva In reference to

Back to the topic of horror books, if you folks are afraid of nightmares, as would I, why would you read horror books that are after all night mares of sorts? I am still mystified and would like some psychological explanation.

For me, I think reading horror allows me to face nightmares...just one more level of understanding that the nightmares I create (which I simplistically feel are just a way to deal with anxiety) are no more real than the nightmarish books I love to read. However, I'm no expert in psychology.

Leslie Caldarera
Teacher Librarian
National Board Teacher
Edison Middle School
LAUSD

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reasons for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians."
Gorilla Librarian, Monthy Python's Flying Circus

________________________________

Caldarera, Leslie

Caldarera, Leslie

Oehling, Rick

Sep 28, 2010, 7:47:48 PM9/28/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Curious experience just now. In part because of our discussion of Oates as a horror writer, and because of the strange remoteness of Wonderland's narrative voice, I've been more aware of what I would call "icy-hearted Oates." Like Iris of "Because It Is Bitter and Because It Is My Heart," Oates can be so unsparing in her vision the reader feels this fictional world's creator must be ice through and through. I think to myself: "I'd be nicer to my characters, pity them more, and give them happier fates. Hand out happy endings at the end of the novel like Christmas bonuses."
HOWEVER, I just had occasion to reread pages 27 and 28 of "My Sister, My Love" where Skyler breaks down in Pastor Bob's arms. Not only was I crying my eyes out, it was that kind of out-of-control bawling that racks one's being... but still one icy-hearted part of you thinks "Thank God no one's here to see this!"
JCO really does do it all, doesn't she?
Rick (the now soggy)
From: Caldarera, Leslie <leslie.c...@lausd.net>
Subject: [JCO:933] Definition of Horror

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

Max Alberts

Sep 29, 2010, 10:25:37 AM9/29/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
(Sorry,hiI hit the send button accidentally)

The Oates collection, NIGHTSIDE, succeeeds brilliantly in this regard, I think.

Sep 29, 2010, 11:34:59 AM9/29/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com

Max,
What anthology/collection includes "By the River".

And, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will reevaluate my definition of horror for my students.

Leslie Caldarera
Teacher Librarian
National Board Teacher
Edison Middle School
LAUSD

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reasons for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians."
Gorilla Librarian, Monthy Python's Flying Circus

________________________________

~Gordon

________________________________

Adva

~Gordon

> toneclusters...@googlegroups.com

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

toneclusters...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

toneclusters...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

toneclusters...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

toneclusters...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

toneclusters...@googlegroups.com

winmail.dat

Adva Weinerman

Sep 29, 2010, 6:46:22 PM9/29/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Lesley thanks for your words. A psychological explanation to what you are
relating would be that people have the need to repeat past hurts, similarly
to how when we are wounded, we like to scratch the place and pill off the
crusted skin.

Another similar way is of how the bad personas in JCO for instance, who
commit crimes, are doing so because most likely, had she written their bio,
she would very likely describe someone who has been hurt in the very same
way he now inflicts his own unhealed wounds onto his prey.

And yet another possibility regarding yourself and others maybe too, is
similar to the cognitive / behavioral psychology and the technique of
solving phobias and deep anxieties, by exposing the patient to the very
thing that scars him to death.

I remember two cases as a young girl, one in which I ran away from a film
shown outside during summer on a huge screen of Tarzan where there was
something really scary, and I was the only one (must have been 11 years old)
who ran away "from the scene". Another was being unable to see those scull
thing with two bones crossed displayed on electricity poles to make sure no
one touches them. That was a result of the most horrific film I ever seen,
in black and white, same age period, of a doctor who comes to a remote
village to give help because of a plague, only to find that everyone died
and the remaining living things were the village dogs who started running
after him in order to eat him. That really scared me. So much so, that I
have never exposed myself to any horror film, nor book ever since. And that
is why I am wondering of the ability to actually enjoy such stuff.

Thanks for listening, Adva

בברכה, אדוה
050-2508617
09-7442327

Adva Weinerman

Sep 29, 2010, 7:04:52 PM9/29/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com

Gordon – glad I reminded you of long lost knowledge. That happens as one ages, although you may still be just a young shoot. I find myself forgetting even the bible stories… but since our life is so hectic, I imagine them – at least mine, to a jam traffic, each day I have to give attention to a lot of new stuff due to my work and writing. So the old knowledge is pushed away.

The idea of catharsis makes sense, but not for me personally. my identification and empathy toward and with the characters in movies is probably on a larger scale than usual, and anything bad that happens to them, makes m cringe, cry sometimes or feel fear. Maybe those who enjoy the horror movies, have thicker skins. Maybe it is also more a male thing?

Psychology is something I can discuss endlessly… nice to see that you care of that topic too.

Being a writer myself, I learned to realize that no matter how one may push away his biographical details, the materials from which the writing is done, are all the building blocks of the writer's psych, experiences, tendencies and nature. That is why JCO interests me. She led very routine kind of life, but still has so much going on within her that is the "building stones" of her own life as well as her writing. No one writes out of vacuum.

Kind regards, Adva

בברכה, אדוה

050-2508617

09-7442327

Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:11 AM
To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com

Oehling, Rick

Sep 30, 2010, 12:39:39 AM9/30/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
On the subject of horror, I need help with a research question. One chapter of Wonderland is set on this nightmarish farm in Michigan where scientific researchers are experimenting on sheep, monkeys and dogs. Nothing really extreme happens in sight, but the littlest details are deeply unsettling. I suspect it is inspired by real "research" farms in the US in the 1940's and 1950's. Trick takes Jesse and Helene there, presumably to traumatize and separate them. One of my students just emailed me and said that a Russian scientist named Vladimir Demikhov was famous/notorious for experiments like these. Do any of you have some knowledge of such places? I haven't really tried hard to research the subject, but it really intrigues me. So often history proves more horrific than even the most extreme hallucinations of fiction.
Rick
> [...]

You're welcome on the movie recommendation (Dracula). I took yet another look at it last night for good measure. Please add the word 'phantasmagorical' to the list of descriptive words I used previously. And I couldn't get Max's comments from a prior email regarding Dracula out of my head:

"The late, brilliant feminist Andrea Dworkin's text, INTERCOURSE, contains a study of DRACULA which is worth the price of the volume. Dworkin's analysis is extraordinarily complex, but boils down essentially to her theory that this particular novel is a metaphorical prophecy of rape in the 20th century, with both women AND men as pawns of the patriarchal vampire."

It seemed to ring of such truth to me. Dracula is just a bully that get's what ever wants... sooner or later.

Max Alberts

Sep 30, 2010, 9:20:53 AM9/30/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
By the River is in the collection, MARRIAGES  AND INFIDELITIES.

Thanks for the nice comments.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

Max Alberts

Sep 30, 2010, 9:25:19 AM9/30/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Vladimir Petrovich Demikhov (Kulini Farm, July 18, 1916 - Moscow, November 22, 1998) was a Soviet scientist and organ transplant pioneer, who did several transplantations in the 1930s and 1950s, such as the transplantation of a heart into an animal and a lung-heart replacement in an animal. He is also well-known for his transplantation of the heads of dogs[1]'[2]. He conducted his dog head transplants during the 1950s, resulting in two-headed dogs, and this ultimately led to the head transplants in monkeys by Dr. Robert White, who was inspired by Demikhov's work.
The first head transplant was actually done by Professor A. G. Konevskiy[2] of the Operative Surgery and Topographical Anatomy Department of Volgograd State Medical University. The head transplant wasn't planned. Konevskiy had planned an experimental heart transplant but the puppy was involved in an automobile accident. Not wanting to "waste the sterilized operating table", the surgeon proceeded with the head transplant.
Demikhov coined the word transplantology, and his 1960 monograph "Experimental transplantation of vital organs", for which he received his doctoral degree, later published in 1962 in New York, Berlin and Madrid, became the world's first monograph on transplantology, and was for a long time the only monograph in the field of transplantation of organs and tissues. Christiaan Barnard, who has performed the world's first heart transplant operation from one person to another person in 1967, has twice visited the Demikhov's laboratory in 1960 and 1963. Christiaan Barnard through all his life considered Demikhov as his teacher.
Demikhov died in obscurity in 1998, but was awarded the Order "For Services Rendered to the Country", Third Class, shortly before his death.
In 2008, Oddzar released a song entitled "Dogs of Demikhov."

--- On Wed, 9/29/10, Oehling, Rick <oehl...@uww.edu> wrote:

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

susan masztak

Sep 30, 2010, 2:19:34 PM9/30/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Leslie,
Everything I know about horror I learned from Stephen King's Danse Macabre (1981).  It's an old book but its insights hold up.  If you read the Forenote you will surely read the rest of the book.  I'm sure that you know that King had been a high school English teacher.

susan

Caldarera, Leslie

Oct 1, 2010, 10:39:45 AM10/1/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Susan..I think I read it a long time ago and will have to look it up.
winmail.dat