Question about hydraulic steering fluid

RALPH BERGER

Jan 8, 2024, 8:48:27 PMJan 8
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
My 1979 Tollycraft has soft steering inside the cabin.  The wheel has written on it Oil - ISO Shell Tellus #10 or ISO Chevron EP Machine #10.  Most hydraulic fluid I can find is ISO 15.  Is that acceptable to use?  Or does anyone have a recommendation of oil to use?  Specifically, is the Marine West product okay?  Thanks in advance, Ralph Berger

ken

Jan 11, 2024, 10:15:02 PMJan 11
to Tollycraft Boating Club Forum
If you have "soft" steering inside what about the flybridge? Usually caused be a leak somewhere. Dealing with that right now,. Seastar unit leaking like a sieve. Type of fluid is kind of mute way past warranty, I don't think you can do any damage by using the "wrong" type of fluid.