When did 26 change Windows

Dan Leenhouts

Aug 30, 2019, 4:01:25 PM8/30/19
to Tollycraft Boating Club Forum
When did Tolly change Window frames on the 26s?

madd...@msn.com

Aug 30, 2019, 4:23:43 PM8/30/19
to Tollycraft Boating Club Forum
I owned both a 1975 and a 1980 26 and replaced/rebuilt the windows in each of them without noticing any significant differences. Can you elaborate?

Brian Edmondson

Aug 31, 2019, 10:26:56 AM8/31/19
to Tollycraft Boating Club Forum
I learned this when I was searching for my 26.  The memory is a little fuzzy after four years, but I believe I learned that Tolly upgraded the windows in 1979 or 1980.  I saw a lot of the old style windows when I was searching for a boat and I did not like the design.  A friend of mine had the old windows and upgraded them.  Let me know if you want me to ask him about his experience.

bfre...@yahoo.com

Sep 4, 2019, 11:58:04 AM9/4/19
to Tollycraft Boating Club Forum
To my knowledge, the windows changed earlier. 1974 or ‘75
All the ‘76s and later had the aluminum frames which were on my 1981 26s. The powder-coated windows you can now get from Bounty Marine came later.
It’s really interesting to me how the 26s changed through its run. I’m always watching for the longer rails—now 1” with stainless steel stanchion bases (1977), the scooped fly bridge gunwale with captain’s chair flanked by two lounge seats(1979), the three color striping (1980 & 81), the navy striping & natural teal interior (1982). I’m not sure when The v-drives replaced the old direct drives, but I think it was before 1974. About that time the boats Started coming out with 260 Mercruiser engines. I believe that most boats went to Crusaders in ‘80 or ‘81.

Disclaimer: beware of taking anything I say too uncritically; I know many things, but not all of them are true!

Brian Edmondson

Sep 4, 2019, 1:57:00 PM9/4/19
to Tollycraft Boating Club Forum
Thanks for that info freiber.  My '82 26s has been in my driveway for 33 months.  Her bones were almost flawless, but almost everything else had to go.  I never thought it would take me this long, but there were also some surprises along the way that caught me off guard.  Maybe the worst one - that I haven't fully completed fixing yet - is replacing the ferrous T-nuts under all the deck fittings, including the stanchion bases.  I have had to drill out the stainless screws on many of them because the T-nuts were so rusted they are essentially welded to the screw.  It's not a big expense, but it's time consuming; and I was lucky (I guess) to be installing new fuel tanks because I don't think there's any way to get to those T-nut fasteners above the fuel tanks.  I was REALLY shocked that Tolly would use ferrous fasteners.  It has also been sobering to realize that Tolly did not use marine grade (tinned strand) wire in my '82.  That was a real WTH moment, and a problem MUCH harder to fix.  I am attacking that only as needed right now.

I am collecting photos and notes of everything I am doing and will eventually share that here so others can benefit and save themselves some serious time (right now I am head-down trying to get it back in the water so am not posting very much).  I am also doing some upgrades that I think are significant, like the total redesign of the waste system (like getting the waste tank out of the engine compartment) and the "Quench Effect" engine I have built (monster torque).  I also figured out a way to pull the engine and v-drive without cutting the cockpit deck structural member between the two front hatches.  You can see that here: Engine Removal Video private link  (please forgive my older boy who, like his dad, thinks he's funny and makes a brief appearance at the end of the video)

Brian Edmondson

Steve Kraus

Sep 29, 2019, 5:20:58 PM9/29/19
to Tollycraft Boating Club Forum
Are the 26’ windows interchangeable regardless of year?

HELP,
Also, I AM SEEKING WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THE 26’ and / or ANY MEMBERS THAT HAVE INSIGHTS TO THE ORIGINAL BATTERY BANK SETUP. WAS IT 1, 2 or ?
Thank you, Steve

Brian Edmondson

Oct 3, 2019, 11:37:02 AM10/3/19
to Tollycraft Boating Club Forum
Hi Steve,

I am super busy right now, but I have the original wiring diagram for my '83 26S.  Much of the equipment on my boat was original.  It had three factory-made wooden battery boxes with two group 27 (deep cycles) for the house bank, and one for start-stop on its own bank.  I am going to try to use three group 27s for the house, and one for start-stop.  Where are you located?

Brian Edmondson
Kent, Washington