New Calagator version?

Keith Instone

Jul 30, 2016, 8:43:12 AM7/30/16
to tol-calagator
Jason wrote > They've completely changed how the app is distributed/dealt with now with recent versions.  I might make a new.toledotechevents.org and start playing - thoughts?

I checked up on the current status of the core Calagator code. Last time I checked, there was no action for at least a year, maybe longer.

When I check the "forum" - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pdx-tech-calendar - not much happening in 2016.

The blog - https://calagator.wordpress.com/ - quiet for 5 years,

But https://github.com/calagator/calagator seems to show some activity. I cannot tell if it means there is a lot of new stuff we are missing or what.

Jason - I say set up a "new" instance so we can see what the differences are. When I check http://calagator.org/ I cannot tell much, except they are getting spam just like us. I see some icons for tags (like "FREE").

Our instance of the community calendar continues to get used more and more, so I am willing to keep investing time to keep it great.

Keith

Jason Slagle

Aug 13, 2016, 8:43:13 PM8/13/16
to tol-calagator
I've just about got this stood up on a new box.  Patrick, want to shoot me a ssh public key?

Jason

Patrick McSweeny

Aug 13, 2016, 9:45:06 PM8/13/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Sent. Are there any changes anyone would like to be made once I have the chance? Keith, would you be willing to help with updating the theme?

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Patrick McSweeny <patmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQC80ZlG3v6jMlWbmVNMmPSQOwbRiLrr2+VAzoy/xJZ+mmua16Z+x/UeJ8E4qt9xvrq6kn+hpP4ZrrxxfS11nafTOQ2Vp/wqD0UIm9ftCUyA3ha9ckAg7bmCU+sW5PzvWfChenKPhKdjB2aH0kTpK8NVoayO8xwBQ4NFNS0nMsaKVENPLa/i91cAoRdBYqx0klkzMF99aw/uFplLHQJJ8URu9xPrKbEcp5oejh0zBvQoWDEx8LyAgnTsG0BIsd60AntIbrvxXUD/DQzVJxUVCSlkoZ3PPMV3KXUyj6AwmgZIsZaRtsII9ymWMRIMoAA965dxnkux8iBlYBpG964tO0OT patmc...@gmail.com

Jason Slagle

Aug 13, 2016, 11:12:37 PM8/13/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I have the devel ready.  I need to figure out how to import the data since it won't migrate the old DB.  Not a huge deal.  I'll finish it up tomorrow and let you know.

I think porting the theme shouldn't be that terrible honestly.

You'll need openvpn to connect to the box - I don't have ssh exposed.

Jason

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 8:43 AM Keith Instone <ins...@techtoledo.com> wrote:
[...]

Patrick McSweeny

Keith Instone

Aug 14, 2016, 7:43:02 AM8/14/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Getting a few version of Calagator code for Toledo Tech Events would be great!

The top problem has been spam for events, and vandalism of venues (changing name of venues and adding links to sleazy sites). That is the most important thing to change. After the new code is in place, then we can invest time to fix all of the broken venues.

As for the theme, I have not had any reports of any problems with the current one, so I see no need to change it just because it is “old”.

There are more FEATURES I think would be useful, but not sure if now if the time to tackle them.

1. Add special fields for links to meetup.com and Facebook, the 2 most popular places to go next if you want to attend an event.

2. Add a special type of event - road trips. Basically, road trips need 2 addresses, where to meet locally and where the event is at.

3. Add “categories” - in addition to the existing “tags”. Categories would include a list of organizers/groups, so it is easy for a group leader to pick their group from the list (instead of having to remember their tag). Another possible category would be “for kids” so that it is easy to get all of the Imagination Station & CoderDojo type events in one list (and be able to filter them out of you are not interested in events for kids).

Also, we should also add updating to the iPhone app to the to-do list, if it needs changed in conjunction with the base code.

Keith

On Aug 13, 2016, at 11:20 PM, Patrick McSweeny <patmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Jason Slagle

Aug 15, 2016, 10:24:36 AM8/15/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I have it up at devel.toledotechevents.org.

It's the base skin.  I imported a data dump from last night, including categories (I added the migrations).

The theme and the newer stuff need reapplied - I let Patrick know how to get on the box.

If others want to help, I can get you in too.

Right now I don't have it in SCM yet.  Perhaps I'll create a toledotechevents org?

Jason

Chris Wammes

Aug 16, 2016, 12:01:45 PM8/16/16
to tol-calagator
I did some testing yesterday, here's what I noticed:

- Add/Edit Events is giving an error
- The title is overlapping onto other text
- It doesn't look like tags came over in the import
- RSVP url's didn't come over

I don't really do anything with Ruby, so I'm not sure how much I can help with the issues.  I may be able to help with the data import since I have an Android app pulling in data from the iCal feed.  And I can always test.

Chris

Jason Slagle

Aug 17, 2016, 11:42:04 AM8/17/16
to tol-calagator
Yeah - it looks like they have stuff they forgot to declare as in the assets pipeline.  Ug.

Chris Wammes

Sep 19, 2016, 12:47:22 PM9/19/16
to tol-calagator
I've setup the Calagator to run on a local vm and I was able to get a few things fixed, I can send those changes along.  I'm not really a Rails developer, so putting some of our customizations back into this version may be a tall task for me.  I'll continue to look at it.

Chris

Patrick McSweeny

Sep 19, 2016, 12:49:22 PM9/19/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I've been doing some work on getting the theme ported to the new version and made some pretty good progress. I uploaded it to the server so once Jason is able to get everything installed we can see the updates.

Jason Slagle

Sep 19, 2016, 5:27:54 PM9/19/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I'll bounce it later - I think I gave the account sudo access, but I'll verify.

Jason

Patrick McSweeny

Sep 27, 2016, 8:46:50 PM9/27/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I have the new theme up and running at http://devel.toledotechevents.org/

Could everyone please take a look and see if I missed anything?

Chris Wammes

Sep 28, 2016, 1:05:17 PM9/28/16
to tol-calagator
Took a look at this over lunch, here's what I've noticed.  Some things are just observation's and might not be addressed.

1- On the add event page the date and time fields no longer have jQuery UI elements

2- On the add event page the trap field is displaying; typically these are set to display none.

3 - On the add event page, there is no help text for any of the fields

4 - Tried to add an event and it looks like it never got added; no errors displayed telling me why; preview also did not seem to do anything.  I left a few fields blank, but they were not required fields.

5 - Popular tags are not showing up on the main page; I edited a few open hack events to add tags to see if it would show up, so far nothing no tags show up.

6 - I’ve gotten an error back when trying to update some events to add keywords, error message says to check the logs.  Looks like the changes did save.

7 - I don’t see the event import option anymore.

8 - Link to the blog?  Do we want this on here since it’s not maintained and no one from the toledo area is involved with it.

9 - Maybe a good time to review the about page to keep it current.

Also a feature request if you’re taking them.  Can we add the RSVP URL to the ical feed in the description in the same format as the tags.

Chris
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tol-calagato...@googlegroups.com.

Patrick McSweeny

Sep 30, 2016, 6:04:51 PM9/30/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I took care of the issues on the add event page and also added back in the link to the import screen. I am not sure why the error message is showing up when adding an event though. I checked the logs and couldn't find any errors in there. Jason, do you have any ideas? Could it have something to do with being in development mode?

Patrick McSweeny

Oct 1, 2016, 11:59:57 AM10/1/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
It looks like adding events is working for the most part.

Chris Wammes

Oct 1, 2016, 12:29:26 PM10/1/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I test it out more this weekend.  I think I was leaving the dates blank when I tested it, might have been my problem.

Chris

Chris Wammes

Oct 3, 2016, 12:53:29 PM10/3/16
to tol-calagator
Looks like it's coming together, here's what I'm seeing now:

  1. All the Date/Time fields should be required.  I created an event with no end time, or maybe put it in the wrong format  and now it gives an error when trying to view the event
    1. http://devel.toledotechevents.org/events/2449
  2. Date/Time field interfaces still not showing up.  Try this after page load:
    1. $( "#date_start" ).datepicker();
    2. $( "#date_end" ).datepicker();
    3. $('#time_start').timepicker();
    4. $('#time_end').timepicker();
  3. Preview button still submits the event
Chris

Patrick McSweeny

Oct 4, 2016, 5:02:13 PM10/4/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I gave the end time a default value so that way something will always be submitted unless the user takes the step of actually deleting what's there. As for the issue with the date and time picker, I noticed that if you refresh the page they always work, so it could be an issue with turborlinks, possibly related to it being in development mode, but I'm not sure. Jason, do you have any thoughts?

Patrick McSweeny

Oct 7, 2016, 1:51:51 PM10/7/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com

​Does anyone see
any issues other than the one with the date and time pickers?

Patrick McSweeny

Oct 17, 2016, 5:18:40 PM10/17/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Are we going to get this thing up and running or what?

Jason Slagle

Oct 17, 2016, 5:47:50 PM10/17/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com

If it's good I'll take it live Wed.

Keith Instone

Oct 17, 2016, 5:49:50 PM10/17/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I spent a few minutes looking at the dev version this morning. I did not test it fully, just did a cursory glance over things. Looked good to me! If others have tested it and not found any bugs, then I let’s make it live.

It was not clear to me features or code changes were part of this new release, so I was not sure what to focus on. If there is a list of new features, then that would help me see if it was ready. Maybe there are no new features, just something else new. I have not been able to pay attention.

Keith

Chris

1. Add special fields for links to meetup.comand Facebook, the 2 most popular places to go next if you want to attend an event.

Patrick McSweeny

Jason Slagle

Oct 25, 2016, 5:12:54 PM10/25/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Let me actually add a calendar event to do it.  It'll be down for ~1 hour while I do it.

Scheduled for Thursday at 10:30.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:39 AM Patrick McSweeny <patmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
How does this week look for launching?
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Keith Instone <ins...@techtoledo.com> wrote:
I spent a few minutes looking at the dev version this morning. I did not test it fully, just did a cursory glance over things. Looked good to me! If others have tested it and not found any bugs, then I let’s make it live.

It was not clear to me features or code changes were part of this new release, so I was not sure what to focus on. If there is a list of new features, then that would help me see if it was ready. Maybe there are no new features, just something else new. I have not been able to pay attention.

Keith

On Oct 17, 2016, at 5:18 PM, Patrick McSweeny <patmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Are we going to get this thing up and running or what?

Patrick McSweeny

Oct 28, 2016, 7:28:30 PM10/28/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Maybe next week?

Jason Slagle

Oct 28, 2016, 9:21:41 PM10/28/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I have it all ready.  I just haven't pulled the latest DB dump and redirected DNS because I want to be around if it explodes.  $dayjob got in the way of that time Thursday.

Code is in place, unicorn is configured and ready - I need to drop the DB dump in, define the vhost, and cut DNS.  10 mins of work.

Jason

stuart bertsch

Oct 29, 2016, 1:04:19 PM10/29/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

Talked with Keith and we feel like you should go ahead and migrate to the new version at your convenience. Just let us know when you make the switch so we can test afterward.

Thanks,

Stuart & Keith

----

Stuart Bertsch
cell: (419) 823-8035

Jason Slagle

Oct 30, 2016, 7:32:28 PM10/30/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I just cut it.  It all seems OK thus far.

Patrick, this is in public_html/prod and is running the production environment, so if there are changes you have to precompile the assets with rake.

Jason

Jason Slagle

Oct 30, 2016, 8:08:21 PM10/30/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, the new seems to be missing the popular tags, but it seems fairly complete otherwise.

Old is at old.toledotechevents.org - devel is still up if we want to hack there.

Keith Instone

Oct 30, 2016, 9:37:09 PM10/30/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jason!

I am noticing small differences but nothing major yet. Like “Powered by Calagator” missing and some altternating-row color formatting. Keep “old” running for a while so we can compare and see what is worth keeping and what is not.

The new VENUES page is better and helped me find more spam. Starting to remove more spam and fixing vandalized venues - existing venues that were change to link to bad sites.

If the new code means less spam and no vandalized venues, then it will be a big gain. Those are the really big problems.

Keith

Chris Wammes

Oct 31, 2016, 8:23:31 AM10/31/16
to tol-calagator
Anyone else having issues with the iOS app after the upgrade?  It's coming up with no events for me.

Chris

stuart bertsch

Oct 31, 2016, 8:30:32 AM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I'm seeing events in the IOS version but there's no dates showing or start/end times. Some data is there but some is missing.

Stuart

----

Stuart Bertsch
cell: (419) 823-8035

Chris Wammes

Oct 31, 2016, 8:35:03 AM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
After I force close the app, I get the same thing now.

Chris

stuart bertsch

Oct 31, 2016, 9:04:58 AM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
The old site is working but the new site is not working. Hangs in a waiting state trying to load.

Stuart

----

Stuart Bertsch
cell: (419) 823-8035

Jason Slagle

Oct 31, 2016, 9:12:10 AM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
It's loading fine for me.

I have a IPS/IDS in front of it.  Its possible it's being overzealous.

What's your source IP so I can look and tweak the rules as needed.

stuart bertsch

Oct 31, 2016, 9:33:21 AM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
It's loading now after a long delay. It seems to be working fine now.

Stuart

----

Stuart Bertsch
cell: (419) 823-8035

stuart bertsch

Oct 31, 2016, 9:52:37 AM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Cloned an event and it appears that the javascript is broken for updating the dates on a cloned event (pop-up date picker doesn't show for everyone) also venue pop-up match/picker didn't work when typing in an existing venue and the venue update didn't work on the cloned event.

Stuart

----

Stuart Bertsch
cell: (419) 823-8035

Jason Slagle

Oct 31, 2016, 9:57:36 AM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I cleared the IDS blocked IP's so that supports it being that :)

I need to get barnyard setup so I can get more details on what it's actually detecting.

Another day - my Puppet cert exam is at 3 so I'm studying :)

stuart bertsch

Oct 31, 2016, 10:31:24 AM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
No problems. It's basically working. Good luck with the exam!

----

Stuart Bertsch
cell: (419) 823-8035

Patrick McSweeny

Oct 31, 2016, 11:55:52 AM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
When adding or cloning an event, if you refresh the page that should get the datepickers to work. I will work on a fix for the bug but that is a workaround for now. I moved the 'Powered by calagator' text to the bottom because we probably don't need to worry about people getting confused because they expected to see the old calagator site anymore, but this still gives attribution.

Jason Slagle

Oct 31, 2016, 7:51:14 PM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I passed :)  What is needed from me other than IDS tweaking?

Patrick McSweeny

Oct 31, 2016, 8:22:08 PM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
I made some changes to the javascript assets. I ran rake assets:precompile in the prod directory on the server but I think the server might need to be restarted to use the latest version. Also, if there is a way to turn on gzip compression for the JS and CSS that would be cool.

Jason Slagle

Oct 31, 2016, 9:41:49 PM10/31/16
to tol-ca...@googlegroups.com
Ok I'll bounce it.

FYI, I turned off the overzealous IPS rules.