Importing files for Cutting

Mark S Macy

Jun 5, 2018, 9:35:05 PM6/5/18
to TokyoHackerSpace
Hello to all:

I am new to the subject of laser cutting, and I would like to see if I can get some answers.  I am looking to purchase a 40w CO2 cutter and I am told it comes with Corellaser, I am trying to find out what file this software can import and convert to a laser cutting format.  Any gelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

James Andrews

Jun 5, 2018, 9:59:53 PM6/5/18
to TokyoHackerSpace
Hi Mark,

I believe that they use DRW files based on a quick google search, but I can't confirm that.  However there is an opensource package called "K40 Whisperer" that is a replacement for Corel Laser I believe will take SVG files.   We changed out our K40 controller board last year to a Smoothieboard so we could use Laserweb which takes a few different formats, SVG, PNG, JPEG etc....

James

MRE

Jun 6, 2018, 9:07:15 PM6/6/18
to TokyoHackerSpace
I think I still have it installed on one of my PCs and can check it later. But being Corel draw, it supports import of a lot of file types (and is a vector drawing application to begin with. So you could use it start to finish in most cases).