Tokudb Compression not working

A Moechsin

Sep 29, 2015, 8:16:13 AM9/29/15
to tokudb-user

Hi all,

I've been reading alot about Tokudb and have been particularly impressed by it's compression and performance claims. I decided to install Percona server 5.6 and Tokudb and enabled it on a virtual machine with Ubuntu 15.04 as OS and test the compression claim.

My primary machine though is running windows 7, and I have an Innodb table with compressed row at 4K, currently sized at 970MB. I created the same table on the virtual machine with Tokudb engine storage and ROW_FORMAT=tokudb_lzma . I spooled the content of the table from the main DB and loaded it to the one just created in the virtual machine and analyzed the table and optimized it, when I checked the size of the new table, there was barely any compression done.

Am I doing something wrong? Does compression not work in a VM or are there extra steps missing from my part? Also, when I optimized the table I would get the mesage 'Table does not support optimize, doing recreate + analyze instead' ...

Below are the screenshots of both tables (tokudb and Innodb):

Really appreciate if anyone can point to me what I'm doing wrong.

Best regards,

AM

Mathieu Longtin

Sep 29, 2015, 8:53:58 AM9/29/15
to A Moechsin, tokudb-user
Data length, for TokuDB, is an estimation of the decompressed size of the data.

To get the actual size, you need to run this:
SELECT table_schema, table_name, SUM(ROUND(bt_size_allocated / 1024 / 1024, 2)) AS table_size_mb
FROM information_schema.`TokuDB_fractal_tree_info`
GROUP BY table_schema, table_name;
Some other useful queries here:

Mathieu Longtin
1-514-803-8977

Reinis Rozitis

Sep 29, 2015, 12:06:59 PM9/29/15
to A Moechsin, tokudb-user
> Really appreciate if anyone can point to me what I'm doing wrong.

To add to the previous reply you can read a bit more detailed explanation
here about the differences between InnoDB and TokuDB compression data
https://www.percona.com/blog/2014/10/10/mysql-compression-compressed-and-uncompressed-data-size/

rr

Bohu TANG

Oct 3, 2015, 9:21:04 AM10/3/15
to tokudb-user
We can't compute TokuDB underlying data file length from 'show table status', need this patch:

Or do:
select * from information_schema.TokuDB_fractal_tree_info where table_name=your_table_name