Today in Mormon History - Jun 28

RSS Feed via IFTTT

Jun 28, 2024, 11:43:45 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to cla...@gmail.com
On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 195 years ago today - Circa Jun 28, 1829 --

Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, and Martin Harris are shown the plates by an angel . David Whitmer said the event occurred in the "latter part" of June 1829 . Whitmer told Edward Stevenson that the vision occurred on a "Sunday" about 11:00 a.m., perhaps 28 June . Whitmer also said he was shown the plates "shortly before the completion of the translation when but a few pages left". (1)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jun 28, 1844 --

The day after the martyrdom, George Cannon (father of Church leader George Q. Cannon) makes death masks of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, providing historians with a valuable source of information about the two men's facial features. (2)
----------------------

Willard Richards and Samuel H. Smith, Joseph's brother, take the bodies of Hyrum and Joseph back to Nauvoo in two wagons. They are taken to the Nauvoo Mansion, where the doors are closed and the thousands of mourners are told they will be able to see the bodies the next day. Dimick B. Huntington, William Marks, and William D. Huntington wash the bodies and dress them in white. Emma (four months pregnant) and Mary Fielding Smith and children are then admitted to see the bodies. Emma screams and falls back, and is caught by Dimick B. Huntington. She then falls forward onto Joseph's face and kisses him, calling him by name and begging him to speak to her once more. Mary Fielding Smith holds back her grief and keeps her composure. During this time Willard Richards and several others speak to eight or ten thousand Saints who have gathered, telling them to keep the peace and trust in the law to punish the assassins of Joseph and Hyrum. (3)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - After Jun 27, 1844 --

After her entry about the martyrdom of Joseph Smith, Leonora Taylor (wife of John Taylor) writes in large letters filling a full page the following passage laden with innuendo:

Come Joseph[,]

Don't be filling that up with boltheads[.]

How is your garden this year[?]

I'll show you some Summer Apples[,] my Lady[.]

O Dear[!] (4)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jun 28, 1844 --

In the morning Orrin Porter Rockwell rides through Nauvoo crying, "Joseph is killed! Goddamn them! They have killed him!"

The bodies of Joseph and Hyrum Smith arrive in Nauvoo at 3:00 PM. William Clayton goes to see them and remarks: "Joseph looks very natural except being pale through loss of blood. Hyrum does not look so natural. Their aged mother is distracted with grief and it will be almost more than she can bear."

Allen Stout, former Danite, writes in his journal after viewing the bodies: "I stood there and then resolved in my mind that I would never let an opportunity slip unimproved of avenging their blood.... I knew not how to contain myself, and when I see one of the men who persuaded them to give up to be tried, I feel like cutting their throats yet" (5)
----------------------

[Nauvoo Temple]
Workmen suspended work on the temple to guard the temple walls. (6)
----------------------

-- 170 years ago today - Jun 28, 1854 --
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal]
President Young nominated John Smith the oldest son of Hiram Smith for a patriarch over the whole church. It was a clear vote. (7)
----------------------

-- 150 years ago today - Jun 28, 1874 (Afternoon) --
[Brigham Young Sermon]
.... when the thousand years of rest shall come and thousands and thousands of Temples shall be built, and the servants and handmaids of the Lord shall have entered therein and officiated for themselves, and for their dead friends back to the days of Adam; when the last of the spirits in prison who will receive the Gospel has received it; when the Savior comes and receives his ready bride, and all who can be are saved in the various kingdoms of God'"celestial, terrestrial and telestial, according to their several capacities and opportunities; when sin and iniquity are driven from the earth, and the spirits that now float in this atmosphere are driven into the place prepared for them; and when the earth is sanctified from the effects of the fall, and baptized, cleansed, and purified by fire, and returns to its paradisiacal state, and has become like a sea of glass, a urim and thummim; when all this is done, and the Savior has presented the earth to his Father, and it is placed in the
cluster of the celestial kingdom, and the Son and all his faithful brethren and sisters have received the welcome plaudit'" '"Enter ye into the joy of your Lord,'" and the Savior is crowned, then and not till then, will the Saints receive their everlasting inheritances.

... I say to my sisters in the kingdom, who are sealed to men, and who say, '"We do not want this man in eternity if he is going to conduct himself there as he does here'"'" there is not the least danger in the world of your ever seeing him in eternity or of his seeing you there if he proves himself unworthy here. But if he honors his Priesthood, and you are to blame and come short of doing your duty, and prove yourself unworthy of celestial glory, it will be left to him to do what he pleases with you. You will be very glad to get to him if you find the fault was in yourself and not in him. ...

When you want to get a bill of divorce, you had better wait and find out whether the Lord is willing to give you one or not, and not come to me. I tell the brethren and sisters, when they come to me and want a bill of divorce, that I am ready to seal people and administer in the ordinances, and they are welcome to my services, but when they undertake to break the commandments and tear to pieces the doings of the Lord, I make them give me something. I tell a man he has to give me ten dollars if he wants a divorce. For what? My services? No, for his foolishness. If you want a bill of divorce give me ten dollars, so that I can put it down in the book that such a man and such a woman have dissolved partnership. Do you think you have obtained a bill of divorce? No, nor ever can if you are faithful to the covenants you have made. It takes a higher power than a bill of divorce to take a woman from a man who is a good man and honors his Priesthood'"it must be a man who possesses a
higher power in the Priesthood, or else the woman is bound to her husband, and will be forever and ever. (8)
----------------------

-- 150 years ago today - Jun 28, 1874 (Morning) --
[Brigham Young Sermon]
President Young spoke 18 Minutes'-He said all the virgins had been asleep 40 years & Just beginning to wake up & were wondering what New thing had Come in the United Order. -- Brigham City, Utah (8)
----------------------

-- 125 years ago today - Jun 28, 1899 --
[Brigham Young Jr.]
Spent much of time in office. Pres[ident] [Lorenzo] Snow looks worn'tired out. God help him for his load is great. To me how useless this enormous debt under which the whole church is groaning today. While I beleive the intention was a heart felt desire to build up Zion, through the ill advised acts of men millions have been thrown away. (9)
----------------------

1 - Vogel, Dan, Early Mormon Documents, Appendix B: Chronology, 1771-1831, http://amzn.to/T5nY8w
2 - The Woodland Institute 'On This Day Historical Database' (defunct)
3 - Conkling, Christopher J., Joseph Smith Chronology
4 - Diary of Leonora Cannon Taylor [--] Property of Franklin D. Taylor," George J. Taylor Papers. "The Records of the Utah Humanities Research Foundation," Marriott Library, has a selectively edited, 11-page typescript of her diary which skips (without ellipses or other acknowledgement) this entry. as quoted in "Evidence For The Sexual Side of Joseph Smith's Polygamy," Comments by D. Michael Quinn on Session #2A "Reconsidering Joseph Smith's Marital Practices," Mormon History Association's Annual Conference, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 29 June 2012 (unabbreviated version, revised during July)
5 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com, based on Michael Quinn's Mormon Hierarchy vols 1 & 2
6 - Brown, Lisle (compiler), Chronology of the Construction, Destruction and Reconstruction of the Nauvoo Temple
7 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
8 - Journal of Discourses. Liverpool, England, 1853-86. 17:115-120; Deseret News. Also Deseret Evening News, Deseret News Weekly, Deseret News Semi- Weekly, and Deseret News Extra, Salt Lake City as quoted in The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses
9 - Brigham Young Jr., Diary, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015

via todayinmormonhistory-email https://ift.tt/XZCFkhu
RSS Feed

Manage

Unsubscribe from these notifications or sign in to manage your Email service.

IFTTT
IFTTT Pro: Seriously powerful tools for creators