Today in Mormon History - Jun 24

1 view

RSS Feed via IFTTT

Jun 24, 2024, 12:33:59 PM (8 days ago) Jun 24
to cla...@gmail.com
On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 195 years ago today - 24 June?, 1829 --

According to Lucy Mack Smith, as Joseph Smith was setting off to Palmyra to sign the contract with Grandin for the printing of the Book of Mormon, he was informed by a Dr. M'Intyre that a group of 40 men was forming to interfere with his journey. As the men sat along a fence along the way, Smith greeted them cheerfully, one-by-one and by name, and was allowed to pass by. He signed the documents and returned to Manchester. (1)
----------------------

-- 190 years ago today - Jun 24, 1834 --
[Heber C. Kimball diary - Zion's camp]
The destroyer came upon us [colera], as we had been warned by the servant of God. About 12 o'clock at night we began to hear the cries of those who were seized. Even those on guard fell, with their guns in their hands, to the ground, and we had to exert ourselves considerably to attend to the sick, for they were stricken down on every hand. ... We were not able to obtain lumber to make them coffins, but were under the necessity of rolling them up in their blankets and burying them in that manner; ...

Our hopes were that no more would die; but while we were uniting in prayer with uplifted hands to God, we looked at our beloved brother, Eber Wilcox, who was gasping his last. At this scene my feelings were beyond expression.. Those only who witnessed it can realize anything of the extent of our sufferings; ... I felt to covenant with my God and my brethren never to commit another sin while I lived. We felt to sit and weep over our brethren, and so great was our sorrow that we could have washed them with our tears. To realize that they had traveled a thousand miles through so much fatigue to lay down their lives for their brethren increased our love for them.

... thus it continued, until five out of ten were taken away.... Brother Joseph, seeing the sufferings of his brethren, stepped forward to rebuke the destroyer, but was immediately seized with the disease, and I assisted him a short distance from the place, when it was with difficulty he could walk. All that kept our enemies from us was the fear of the destroyer which the Lord had sent among us. After burying these five brethren I was seized by the hand of the destroyer as I went into the woods to pray; I was instantly struck blind, and saw no way whereby I could free myself from the disease, only to exert myself by jumping and threshing myself about until my sight returned to me and my blood began to circulate in my veins; I started and ran some distance, and by this means, through the help of God I was enabled to extricate myself from the grasp of death. (2)
----------------------

[Hyrum Smith]
Has a vision of his mother praying for him and Joseph. (3)
----------------------

-- 185 years ago today - Jun 24, 1839 --

Isaac Galland sells the whole town of Nashville, Iowa, together with 13,000 other acres of half-breed land, to the Saints for over $38,000. Because Galland has no clear titles to many of these lands, which had originally been designated by the government for half-breeds, many of the Saints who move here end up losing their money and their lands. (4)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jun 24, 1844 --
[Emma Smith]
Emma and Joseph see each other for the last time. [Joseph goes to Carthage] (5)
----------------------

Sidney Rigdon, having prophesied that Joseph Smith would die and Nauvoo would fall, leaves for Pittsburgh with his family. (6)
----------------------

[Joseph Fielding]
On Monday morning, Joseph, his brother Hyrum, Willard Richards, John Taylor, the only two of the Twelve at home, with several others, started for Carthage, of course with solemn feelings, and it appears that Joseph in particular anticipated the fatal result in part, but said he wished at any rate that Hyrum might be saved to stand in his place. He expressed himself to this effect, that he should die for this people, and if so, he should be murdered in cold blood. Sometime before they reached Carthage, they met a company of men with orders from the governor of the state to take our public arms, i.e., the arms belonging to the state. ...

I was down in the city when they came in, and was in Brother Hyrum's company. In his own house, he was in better spirits by far than when he left. He told me he thought that all things would go well, etc. and as soon as the arms could be collected, they again took their leave of their wives and families, alas for the last time, and came to Carthage (from henceforth of cursed memory).

The governor, it appears, treated them respectfully and took them to his own lodgings until as he said, for fear of the people he desisted and after having had a trial in part, they were unexpectedly and unlawfully thrust into the jail. They went to Carthage on Monday evening, the 24th of June, 1844. On Thursday, the governor left them and with a company of men, came to Nauvoo, having left a guard at the jail, but of the Carthage Greys who had just before been in a state of mutiny. Yet as all the troops had pledged themselves to the governor to abide by the laws, these were entrusted with the care of the prisoners. (7)
----------------------

-- 85 years ago today - 24-Jun 25, 1939 --
[Nauvoo Temple]
Over 700 Latter-day Saints gathered in a conference at Nauvoo, under the direction of Byrant S. Hinckley (Northern States Mission President), commemorating the centennial of the city's founding, as well as the death of Joseph Smith and Hyrum Smith. The activities sparked a mission to restore Nauvoo. (8)
----------------------

-- 40 years ago today - Jun 24, 1984 --

Members of the First Quorum of the Seventy were appointed to serve as area presidencies in 13 major geographical areas of the Church — seven in the United States and Canada and six in other parts of the world. (9)
----------------------

1 - Wikipedia: Chronology of Mormonism, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Mormonism
2 - Whitney, Helen Mar, Jeni Broberg Holzapfel, and Richard Neitzel Holzapfel, A Woman's View: Helen Mar Whitney's Reminiscences of Early Church History, Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University, 1997
3 - Jeffrey S. O'Driscoll, Hyrum Smith: A Life of Integrity, A Brief Chronology of the Life of Hyrum Smith: 1800-1844
4 - Conkling, Christopher J., Joseph Smith Chronology
5 - Emma Smith, Woman of Faith, http://emmasmithmormon.com
6 - Hales, Brian C., Joseph Smith's Polygamy: History and Theology, 3 vols., Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books, 2013 (www.JosephSmithsPolygamy.com)
7 - Joseph Fielding, Diary (1843-1846), Church Archives in "They Might Have Known That He Was Not a Fallen Prophet"--The Nauvoo Journal of Joseph Fielding," transcribed and edited by Andrew F. Ehat, BYU Studies 19 (Winter 1979), http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/JFielding.html
8 - Brown, Lisle (compiler), Chronology of the Construction, Destruction and Reconstruction of the Nauvoo Temple
9 - Church News: Historical Chronology of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/58765/Historical-chronology-of-The-Church-of-Jesus-Christ-of-Latter-day-Saints.html

via todayinmormonhistory-email https://ift.tt/3D2oCjS
RSS Feed

Manage

Unsubscribe from these notifications or sign in to manage your Email service.

IFTTT
IFTTT Pro: Seriously powerful tools for creators