Today in Mormon History - Aug 08

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Aug 8, 2022, 12:01:10 PM8/8/22
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 180 years ago today - Aug 8, 1842 --
[Brigham Young]
Assisted by Elders H. [Heber] C. Kimball and Geo. [George] A. Smith, I spent several days laboring with Elder Orson Pratt, whose mind became so darkened by the influence and statements of his wife, that he came out in rebellion against Joseph, refusing to believe his testimony or obey his counsel. [Sarah Pratt maintained that Joseph Smith had proposed to her while Orson was on a mission in England.] He said he would believe his wife in preference to the Prophet. Joseph told him if he did believe his wife and follow her suggestions, he would go to hell.

We reported to the Prophet that we had labored with Brother Orson [Pratt] diligently in a spirit of meekness, forbearance and long-suffering. He requested us to ordain Brother Amasa Lyman in Brother Orson's stead. After receiving these instructions, we met Brother Orson near my house, and continued to labor with him. He said to us, There is Brother Amasa Lyman in your house, Brother Young; he has been long in the ministry, go in and ordain him in my stead. (1)
----------------------

A deputy sheriff of Adams County and two assistants arrest Joseph in Nauvoo. They have a warrant from Gov. Carlin that is based upon a requisition from Gov. Reynolds of Missouri, which, in turn, was based upon an affidavit of ex-Governor Boggs. Boggs accused Joseph of ordering Orrin P. Rockwell to shoot Boggs. A Nauvoo court, under Hyrum Smith, issues a writ of habeas corpus allowing the prisoners to be released temporarily. This begins approximately four months of arrest attempts against Joseph, in which he spends much of his time hiding out. It is reported that anywhere from $200 to $1300 is offered as a reward for Joseph's arrest. (2)
----------------------

The earliest reference to the special undergarment worn by the Holy Order of the endowment reads for this date: "they have oil poured on them, and then a mark or hole cut in the breast of their shirts...to keep the Destroying Angel from them and their families." From the eighteenth century to the 1840s, "shirt" referred to an undergarment which was often worn with a separate, tight-fitting underpant reaching to the knees. (3)
----------------------

-- 175 years ago today - Aug 8, 1847 --
[Wilford Woodruff]
8th Sunday morning At 6 oclock the Bishops repaired with the Twelve + to the streams of water for the purpose of Baptizing & Confirming the whole Camp who had not been [baptized] since we came into the valley. We felt it our privilege to be baptized & to Baptize the Camp of Israel for the remission of our sins & to renew our covenants before the Lord. Brothers Lewis, Godard, Everett Shumway Snow & H C Kimball baptized & the Twelve Confirmed them [who had been rebaptized earlier]. There were 224 Baptized & Confirmed this morning 99 of which I Confirmed with my own hands making 288 in all that have been baptized in the camp during the last 3 days. (4)
----------------------

-- 170 years ago today - Aug 8, 1852 --
[Brigham Young]
There is only one gospel sermon, recollect, brethren and sisters, and the time that is required to preach it is from the day of the fall, or from the day when Adam and his wife Eve came here upon this planet, and from that time until Jesus Christ has subdued the last enemy, which is death, and put all things under his feet, and wound up all things pertaining to this earth. Then the gospel will have been preached, and brought up and presented, and the effects thereof, to the Father. (5)
----------------------

-- 150 years ago today - Aug 8, 1872 (Thursday) --

The Utah Southern Railway commenced to run trains to the Point of the Mountain, south of Draper. (6)
----------------------

-- 110 years ago today - Aug 8, 1912 --
[James E. Talmage]
Attended council meeting of the First Presidency and the Twelve in the Temple. A very regrettable condition has come to light in connection with the publication of temple pictures. The city is flooded with cheap, gaudy post-cards containing pictures of the temple interior. A matter of possible violation of copyright is held for investigation pending the return of President Joseph F. Smith. In the meantime I have been instructed to serve notice on the 'Souvenir Novelty Company', to suppress the cards and all announcements of same. (7)
----------------------

-- 80 years ago today - Aug 8, 1942 --

The Deseret News Church Section emphasizes the use of handkerchiefs to heal people at great distances, with a photograph of "the silk handkerchief blessed and sent by President Lorenzo Snow to Elder [Jacob Charles] Jensen" to heal him in 1899. (8)
----------------------

-- 30 years ago today - Aug 8, 1992 --

The Salt Lake Tribune reports that the First Presidency's spokesman has acknowledged the existence of the special "Strengthening the Members Committee" that keeps secret files on church members regarded as disloyal. Due to the publicity about this matter, including in the New York Times, the Presidency issues a statement on 13 Aug. defending the organization of this apostle-directed committee as consistent with God's commandment to Joseph Smith to gather documentation about non-Mormons who mob and persecute the LDS church. The Presidency lists Apostles James E. Faust and Russell M. Nelson as leading the Strengthening the Members Committee. Faust becomes a counselor in the First Presidency in 1995. (8)

1 - Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1801-1844, ed. Elden Jay Watson (Salt Lake City: Smith Secretarial Service, 1968).
2 - Conkling, Christopher J., Joseph Smith Chronology
3 - Quinn, D. Michael, The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power, Appendix 7: Selected Chronology of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-47, http://amzn.to/origins-power
4 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
5 - J.D. 3:90
6 - Jenson, Andrew, Church Chronology
7 - James E. Talmage, Diary, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015
8 - The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database ( http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase )]