Today in Mormon History - Jul 02

RSS Feed via IFTTT

Jul 2, 2024, 12:29:05 PM (12 hours ago) Jul 2
to cla...@gmail.com
On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 195 years ago today - Circa Jul 2, 1829 --

Eight witnesses see the plates in a grove near the Smith's Manchester (NY) residence. It is unclear if this experience is purely physical or visionary . Lucy says that the event occurred on a Thursday, perhaps 2 July , and David Whitmer says it was one or two days after the three witnesses saw the plates. (1)
----------------------

-- 185 years ago today - Jul 2, 1839 --
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal]
2d THIS was an interesting day. The First Presidency Joseph & his Council Came across the river to Montrose to spend the day with the Twelve to bless them & their families before they left for other Nations.

... After the blessings were bestowed Brother Hiram Smith arose & gave The Twelve Some interesting advice and Council Considering it best to say nothing but repentance to this generation or at least to preach the first principles of the gosepl as that was as much as this generation could endure ...

Joseph:

Ever keep in exercise the principles of mercy & be ready to forgive our brother on the first intimations of repentance ... let the Twelve be humble & not be exalted & beware of pride & not seek to excell one above another ...

Must the new ones that are chosen to fill the places of those that are fallen of the quorum of the Twelve, begin to exhalt themselves untill they get so high that they will tumble over & have a great fall & go wallowing through the mud, mire, & darkness Judas like to the buffating of Satan as several of the Twelve have done, or will they learn wisdom & be wise? (O God give them wisdom & keep them humble I pray.) ... (2)
----------------------

-- 185 years ago today - Jul 02, 1839 --

While instructing the Twelve, Joseph Smith teaches for the first time that the angel Gabriel was the ancient prophet Noah. (3)
----------------------

-- 185 years ago today - Jul 2, 1839 --

Joseph Smith tells the Apostles and Seventies, "I will give you one of the Keys of the mysteries of the Kingdom. It is an eternal principle, that has existed with God from all eternity: That man who rises up to condemn others, finding fault with the Church, saying that they are out of the way, while he himself is righteous, then know assuredly, that that man is in the high road to apostasy; and if he does not repent, will apostatize, as God lives." This is often quoted to members who are critical of church leaders without mentioning that it was originally given to church leaders-to apostles and seventies-who were critical of church members. (4)
----------------------

-- 185 years ago today - About July 2, 1839 --
[Joseph Smith]
"The time is soon coming, when no man will have any peace but in Zion and her stakes. I saw men hunting the lives of their own sons, and brother murdering brother, women killing their own daughters, and the daughter against the mother. These things are at our doors. They will follow the Saints of God from city to city. Satan will rage, and the spirit of the devil is now enraged." (5)
----------------------

-- 185 years ago today - Jul 2, 1839 --
[Wilford Woodruff Journal]
[...]

-- 180 years ago today - Jul 2, 1844 (Tuesday) --

[Severly wounded] Apostle John Taylor was brought home to Nauvoo from Carthage. (6)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jul 2, 1844. Tuesday. --
[William Clayton Journal]
A.M. went to see Emma. She is in trouble because Mother [Lucy Mack] Smith is making disturbance about the property in Josephs hands. Mother Smith wants Samuel to move into Nauvoo and take the Patriarchs office and says the church ought to support him. There is considerable danger if the family begins to dispute about the property that Joseph's creditors will come forward and use up all the property there is. If they will keep still there is property enough to pay the debts and plenty left for other uses. I had much talk with Emma on the subject. (7)
----------------------

-- 125 years ago today - Jul 2, 1899; Sunday --
[Anthony Ivins Journal]
.... [Lorenzo] Snow made preliminary remarks ... Within ten, fifteen or 20 years, perhaps sooner, we are going to Jackson County [Missouri]. If Latter-Day Saints had paid their tithing in the past we would have on hand today a million dollars and if this had been for ten years back we would have ten or twelve millions. The Lord has told me plainly and most distinctly that the law of tithing should be taught while we were at St George and He has made it just as plain that this is what I should say to you today. Bishop [William] Preston said one fourth of the Latterday Saints pay no tithing at all and many who have their names on the roll do not pay one fourth of what they should....

M[arriner] W. Merrill said non tithe payers were on the in- crease. This meeting has been called that there may be a reformation. ...

Heber J. Grant had always paid his tithing with pleasure. Two Dollars is spent in breaking the Word of Wisdom for every dollar paid in tithing. Sacrement was administered ...

Prest. Snow ... The man who fails to pay his tithing hereafter I could not recommend to the House of the Lord. Let every President of a Stake pay his full tithing. Let every bishop do so. If people have been remiss in the past they may make it good if they desire but we shall not say anything about the past. The Lord will send Cyclones, Whirlwinds and devouring fire and the way will be prepared for the fulfillment of His purposes.

... Prest. Jos[eph] F. Smith read from the Bible. God once cleansed the earth with water. He will cleanse it with fire. Just as sure as we live, just as sure as you hear the sound of my voice unless we honor this law of tithing we shall never get back to Jackson County unless we go there as ancient Israel went into the promised Land, by the shedding of blood.

... Francis M. Lyman. There has never before been just such a gathering. It has fallen to the lot of Prest. Snow to announce that the time has come when the law of tithing must be observed in Zion. The time approaches when Zion is to be redeemed and the Temple built under the law of consecration. When the time shall come that Prest. Snow, if it is his good fortune, and I see no reason why it should not be, shall say the time has come for the redemption of Zion, we will be surprised at the thousands who will be ready. Pronounced his blessing on all present.

George Q. Cannon. There are men in this congregation who are descendants of the ancient Twelve Apostles, and shall I say it, of the Son of God himself, for he had seed, and in time they shall be known.

...Prest. Smith introduced a resolution endorsing the teachings of today in regard to tithing. Prest. Snow asked all who endorsed it to arise and with the right hand raised to say aye. The response was unanimous. The entire body of priesthood joined in shouting hosanna, sang the Doxology and were dismissed by Seymour B. Young. ... (8)
----------------------

-- 125 years ago today - Jul 2, 1899 --

President George Q. Cannon also spoke on the law of tithing. Among other things he said, 'There are those in this audience who are descendants of the old Twelve Apostles'and, shall I say, yes, descendants of the Savior himself. His seed is represented in this body of men.' Following President Cannon, President [Lorenzo] Snow arose and said that what Brother Cannon had stated respecting the literal descendants among this company of the old apostles and the Savior himself is true'that the Savior's seed is represented in this body of men.

[Abraham O. Woodruff adds "Queen Victoria is a descendant of the Prophets."] (9)
----------------------

[J. Golden Kimball]
Leroy C. Snow a boy of Pres[ident] [Lorenzo] Snows was called up to speak. Some were amused and suprised. He is a son of a favored wife and his fathers pet. Men are sometimes great and mighty, and the Lord loves them, yet they will exhibit just such weaknesses, as was presented today. This young man will no doubt be an apostle, if Pres[ident]. Snow has his way. This part of the meeting was unpleasant to me. Although the young man may be favored of God. (10)
----------------------

-- 110 years ago today - summer of 1914 --
[World War I]
In the summer of 1914, most Utahns were little concerned with the rumblings of war in Europe. Most felt that the fight had little to do with United States interests, advocated a strict policy of neutrality, and insisted that the United States not become embroiled in a European conflict. There were exceptions, of course, primarily among the Utah immigrant groups including the South Slavs, Germans, Greeks, Italians whose homelands had been caught up in the Great War. Utah German-Americans openly demonstrated their sympathy for Germany, held rallies, collected money for the German Red Cross, complained of the virulent anti-German propaganda in most English-language newspapers, and, in some cases returned to Germany to fight. (11)
----------------------

-- 45 years ago today - Summer 1979 --

Bush, Lester E., Jr. "Introduction [to issue on the priesthood revelation of 1978]," Dialogue 12 (Summer 1979): 9-12. (12)
----------------------

1 - Vogel, Dan, Early Mormon Documents, Appendix B: Chronology, 1771-1831, http://amzn.to/T5nY8w
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
3 - The Woodland Institute 'On This Day Historical Database' (defunct)
4 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com, based on Michael Quinn's Mormon Hierarchy vols 1 & 2
5 - A Timeline of Joseph Smith's Prophecies: His Prophecies Fulfilled (https://amzn.to/42s0h3I)
6 - Jenson, Andrew, Church Chronology
7 - George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton
8 - Anderson, Elizabeth Oberdick, editor, Cowboy Apostle: The Diaries of Anthony W. Ivins: 1875-1932, Signature Books, Salt Lake City in association with the Smith-Pettit Foundation (2013) - http://bit.ly/AnthonyIvins. Formatting added.
9 - 'Memoirs of the Life of Rudger Clawson Written by Himself', as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015
10 - J. Golden Kimball, Diary, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015
11 - Utah History Encyclopedia: World War I, http://www.uen.org/utah_history_encyclopedia/
12 - Neither White nor Black: Mormon Scholars Confront the Race Issue in a Universal Church: Chronological Bibliography on the Negro Doctrine [1900-1983], Edited by Lester E. Bush, Jr., and Armand L. Mauss, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

via todayinmormonhistory-email https://ift.tt/lyCaTI0
RSS Feed

Manage

Unsubscribe from these notifications or sign in to manage your Email service.

IFTTT
IFTTT Pro: Seriously powerful tools for creators