Today in Mormon History - Jun 09

RSS Feed via IFTTT

Jun 9, 2024, 11:43:50 AMJun 9
to cla...@gmail.com
On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 195 years ago today - Circa 9-Jun 10, 1829 --

Joseph Jr., and possibly others, arrive in Manchester (NY) to negotiate and arrange for the printing of the Book of Mormon. Joseph Smith and Martin Harris visit Grandin's printing establishment. Grandin declines their first proposal. Smith then seeks a publisher in Rochester, visiting anti-Masonic editor Thurlow Weed who also declines the offer. According to Pomeroy Tucker, Smith's application to Weed occurred "immediately" after the visit to Grandin. A "few days" later, Smith again visits Weed, bringing Harris with him, but Weed again declines. Smith apparently also visited Quaker Elihu F. Marshall of Rochester, who may have given a positive response. Returning to Grandin's office, Harris tells Grandin that the book could be printed in Rochester should he refuse and then promises to mortgage his farm as collateral for the publication. Grandin agrees. Assisted by John H. Gilbert, Grandin estimates that the cost of printing 5,000 books will be about $3,000. Smith's 1839 history
places these events out of historical sequence after the testimonies of the three and eight witnesses, which occurred near the end of June 1829. Gilbert said the negotiations for printing occurred in the "forepart" of June 1829. (1)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jun 9, 1844 --
[Heber C. Kimball letter to daughter Helen Mar Kimball (plural wife of Joseph Smith)]
"MY DEAR DAUGHTER—I told you of the blessings that we have received from our Father which is in heaven, so be obedient to the counsel you have given to you from your dear father and mother, who seek your welfare both for time and eternity. There is no one that feels as we do for you. Prove yourself approved of God and man, as a true, undeviating friend through evil report as well as good, through poverty as well as riches. ... You are blessed, but you know it not. You have done that which will be for your everlasting good for this world and that which is to come. I will admit there is not much pleasure in this world. ... Be true to the covenants that you have made, keep the company of those who are wise and keep close mouths. Solomon says, `A wise head keeps a close mouth.'... (2)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - 9-Jun 24, 1844 --
[Letter from Vilate Kimball to Heber C. Kimball]
.... Nauvoo was a scene of confusion last night, some hundred of the Brethren turned out and burned the [Nauvoo Expositor] printing press, and all the ap[p]aratus pertaining to the office of the op[p]osite party; this was done by order of the City Councel [Council]. they had only published one Paper, which is concidered [considered] a public nucence [nuisance]. but I do not know whether it will be concidered [considered] so in the eyes of the Law or not. they have sworn revenge, and no doubt they will have it... (3)
----------------------

-- 175 years ago today - Jun 9, 1849 --
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal]
I recieved the following in the Boston Times: We have advices by Express from Salt Lake [of?] the 15th April. New and extraordinary discoveries of Gold have been made in the Mountains near the Salt Lake. The people in the valley were Anxious for A Territorial Government & were about to send Mr Bern-hisel to congress for that purpose. The saints were prospering at the salt Lake. (4)
----------------------

-- 140 years ago today - Mon. June 9th 1884 --
[Abraham H. Cannon Journal]
He called on Sis. Eliza R. Snow Smith Young: ". . . and in the course of our conversation she said she heard the Prophet Joseph once remark, 'when the ten tribes were taken away, the earth was divided, so that they occupy a separate planet from this.' This was news to me." (5)
----------------------

-- 125 years ago today - Jun 9, 1899; Friday --

Presidents [Lorenzo] Snow and [Joseph F.] Smith were at the Office. Sister Zina D. H. Young called, accompanied by Sisters Bathsheba W. Smith, Clara Cannon, Minnie J. Snow and Phoebe Y. Beatie. They propounded this question: Shall non-members of the Church be permitted to become members of our Relief Society? Sister Zina stated that she had answered the question in the negative, but in order to satisfy some of the sisters, she had invited the ladies present to hear what the First Presidency had to say about it. The rules of the Relief Society were then read, one of which gave any person the privilege of becoming a member of the organization. These sisters feared that if non-members of the Church should want to join the Society, they might do so, and in some Wards, where they are numerous, they might out-vote the Church members and take possession of the Society's ward property.

The Presidency took the view that membership in the Relief Society should be confined to members of the Church in good standing, and that the rules should be changed accordingly. It was understood that this would be done.

These sisters also asked the question--Is the Relief Society required to pay tithing? President Smith took the ground that it was not required to do so, as the Society's means was already Church means and subject to the authority of the First Presidency. President Snow took the same view. Apostle Brigham Young [Jr.] and Elder Angus M. Cannon were also present, and took part in this hearing. (6)
----------------------

-- 75 years ago today - Jun 9, 1949 --
[J. Reuben Clark]
Asked Dr. Kimball about blood transfusions and the effect on white's of negro blood, if they would be considered to have "a drop of negro blood." Dr. Kimball said that the blood disintegrates within three weeks, and he would not have any left in that time; that even our own cells change rather rapidly, within 120 days. (7)
----------------------

-- 50 years ago today - Jun 9, 1974 --

Spencer W. Kimball administers second anointing to his heart surgeon Russell M. Nelson and wife Dantzel in Holy of Holies of Salt Lake temple. Nelson becomes member of Twelve in 1984. There is a dramatic increase of second anointings during Kimball's presidency.
----------------------

Spencer W. Kimball administers the second anointing to his heart surgeon Russell M. Nelson and his wife Dantzel in the Holy of Holies of the Salt Lake temple. Nelson becomes a member of the Twelve in 1984. There is a dramatic increase of second anointings during Kimball's presidency. (8)
----------------------

1 - Vogel, Dan, Early Mormon Documents, Appendix B: Chronology, 1771-1831, http://amzn.to/T5nY8w
2 - Whitney, Helen Mar, Jeni Broberg Holzapfel, and Richard Neitzel Holzapfel, A Woman's View: Helen Mar Whitney's Reminiscences of Early Church History, Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University, 1997
3 - Letter from Vilate Kimball to Heber C. Kimball
4 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
5 - Abraham H. Cannon Journal Excerpts, http://www.amazon.com/Apostles-Record-Journals-Abraham-1889-1896/dp/B000MFD1K4
6 - First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve minutes
7 - The Diaries of J. Reuben Clark, 1933-1961, Abridged, Digital Edition, Salt Lake City, Utah 2015
8 - The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database ( http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase )]

via todayinmormonhistory-email https://ift.tt/d6QmMea
RSS Feed

Manage

Unsubscribe from these notifications or sign in to manage your Email service.

IFTTT
IFTTT Pro: Seriously powerful tools for creators