Today in Mormon History - Jun 22

RSS Feed via IFTTT

Jun 22, 2024, 7:44:01 PM (10 days ago) Jun 22
to cla...@gmail.com
On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 195 years ago today - 22 June?, 1829 --

According to Lucy Mack Smith, the company from Fayette who had been among the Eight Witnesses "went to Palmyra to make arrangements for getting the book printed; and they succeeded in making a contract with one E. B. Grandin, but did not draw the writings at that time." The June 19 date is suggested because Lucy Mack Smith said the event occurred on a Monday of the week prior to the Thursday on which the demonstration to the Eight Witnesses occurred. (1)
----------------------

-- 190 years ago today - Jun 22, 1834 --
[Heber C. Kimball]
.... Brother Thayre was taken sick with the cholera, and also Brother Hayes. We left them there, and also Brother Hancock who had been taken with the cholera during the storm. Bro. Joseph called the camp together, and told us that in consequence of the disobedience of some who had not been willing to listen to his words, but had been rebellious, God had decreed that sickness should come upon us, and we should die like sheep with the rot; and said he, "I am sorry, but I cannot help it." When he spake these things it pierced me like a dart, having a testimony that so it would be. In the afternoon of this day, we began to receive the revelation known as the "Fishing River revelation." (2)
----------------------

[Revelation: Minutes, 17 February 1834 [D&C 102] Organization of high counsel Kirtland February 17, 1834]
.... behold I say unto you, were it not for the transgression of my people speaking concerning the church and not individuals, they might have been redeemed even now; but behold, they have not learned to be obedient to the things which I require at their hands ... it is expedient in me that mine elders should wait for a little season for the redemption of Zion ... and the things which I require at their hands, and this cannot be brought to pass until mine elders are endowed with power from on high... I will fight your battles, behold the destroyer I have already sent forth to destroy and lay waste mine enemies, and not many years hence they shall not be left to pollute mine heritage ... you may find favor in the eyes of the people, until the armies of Israel become very great, and I will soften the hearts of the people as I did [DEL:I] the heart of Pharioh from time to time, until my servant Joseph and mine elders whom he shall appoint shall have time to gather up the strength of
my house; and to have sent wise men to fulfil that which I have commanded concerning the purchasing of all the lands in Jackson County that can be purchased and in the adjoining Counties round about, for it is my will, that these lands should be purchased that my saints should possess them according to the law of consecration... And after these lands are purchased I will hold the armies of Israel guiltless in taking possessions of their own lands and of throw[i]ng down the tower of mine enemies that may be upon them, and scattering their watchmen, and avengeing me of mine enemies, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me. ... (3)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jun 22, 1844 --

Joseph sends a letter to Gov. Ford containing all the affidavits showing the Saints' side of the conflict. The Nauvoo Legion continues to prepare to defend Nauvoo, digging ditches, pitching tents, and setting up camp. Late the night before, John Taylor and Dr. John M. Bernhisel had gone to Carthage to meet with Ford, and had spent a terrified night, as the town was full of anti-Mormon rejoicing and celebration. Early on the morning of June 22, Taylor and Bernhisel meet with Ford, but find him surrounded by William and Wilson Law, the Higbees, the Fosters, etc. Whenever Taylor or Bernhisel try to explain their side of the Expositor story, they are immediately contradicted, and communication is almost totally blocked.

After a five-hour wait, they receive a letter from Gov. Ford to take to Joseph Smith. It states that Joseph has committed one illegality after another and should plan to come to Carthage at once. Ford says, "I will also guarantee the safety of all such persons asmay thus be brought to this place from Nauvoo either for trial or as witnesses for the accused." Joseph begins to write a reply to Ford, having decided that only the United States president, John Tyler, could truly decide the legality in a matter like this. He ends his letter to Ford with the statement, "We again say, if anything wrong has been done on our part, and we know of nothing, we will make all things right if the Government will give us the opportunity. Disperse the mob, and secure to us our constitutional privileges, that our lives may not be endangered when on trial."

However, the more Joseph thinks about Ford's reply, the more he realizes, "There is no mercy—no mercy here." Hyrum adds, "No; just as sure as we fall into their hands we are dead men."Unsure of what to do, Joseph gets a sudden idea. "It is clear to my mind what to do. All they want is Hyrum and myself. . . . Let them search; they will not harm you in person or property, and not even a hair of your head. We will cross the river tonight, and go away to the West."

Joseph prepares to cross the river, and as his final recorded quote in his personal life's record, he writes, "I told Stephen Markham that if I and Hyrum were ever taken again we should be massacred, or I was not a prophet of God. I want Hyrum to live to avenge my blood, but he is determined not to leave me." The Prophet prepares to flee to the West, and to put his and Hyrum's families on the Maid of Iowa. Joseph, Hyrum, and Willard Richards wait on the banks of the Mississippi and as they do, they instruct W. W. Phelps to take their families to Cincinnati, and from there to petition the president of the United States. At midnight, Joseph, Hyrum, Willard Richards, and Orrin Porter Rockwell get in the boat, and at 2 A.M. Rockwell rows them across the Mississippi in a leaky skiff. Hyrum and Joseph bail water all the way. (4)
----------------------

[Joseph Smith]
6 P.M. Prophesied that /in/ the sickly season that sickness would enter into their houses and vex them until they would fain repent in dust and ashes and they will be smitten with the scab &c. (5)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - June 22, 1844. Saturday. --
[William Clayton Journal]
Joseph whispered and told me either to put the r[ecords] of K[ingdom] [IE Quorum of Fifty] into the hands of some faithful man and send them away, or burn them, or bury them. I concluded to bury them, which I did immediately on my return home. (6)
----------------------

-- 85 years ago today - Jun 22, 1939 --
[J. Reuben Clark]
Pursuant to an appointment made by President McKay for Brother Alexander Schreiner to see us at 9.30, we'Brother McKay and myself'began an interview with him at about 9.45, which continued until nearly 10.15. The interview grew a bit stormy, I furnishing the storm when Brother Schreiner tried to "pull some fast ones," so far as I was aware of the facts.

He began to build a story which was designed to make him The Organist in fact, even if not in name. I called his attention to the fact that President Grant had told Mrs. Schreiner, her father, and her mother, all three separately, that Brother Schreiner could not be The Organist. He was a little bit hazy in many of his statements. He was not quite prepared to say what it was he wanted, but he made it clear that he intended to edge everybody else out, and more or less to take over the Temple Block so far as the music was concerned. He misquoted the letter, which we had written to him, so flagrantly'having in mind the statement which he had made in his letter that he had resigned "in accordance with your (our) wishes,"that I felt in doubt about any other statement he made.

I am sure I was unduly rough with him, and I do regret it, but he seemed to me to be so obviously building up a record, carrying it to a point to such great selfishness, that I allowed myself to get out from under control a bit. He acted very much like a child'a spoiled one at that.

After this twenty or twenty-five minute discussion we told him to come back tomorrow, that we would in the meantime talk with the Bishopric and then let him know the situation.

Later in the afternoon Brother McKay and I, after the Council meeting, had a considerable discussion about it, and agreed that we would stand by our letter to Brother Schreiner of May 24, particularly the paragraph which reads as follows: "When you return, you will continue to be the senior member of the organists corps. Your work with the choir will be under the leader thereof, and the general supervision of all your work will be under the Presiding Bishopric."

We both agreed that it was of the essence that the spirit of the Sunday morning broadcast must not be disturbed. (7)
----------------------

-- 75 years ago today - Jun 22, 1949 --
The Council of the Twelve was informed several weeks ago that you desired that further consideration be given to the matter of inviting the Patriarch to meet with the First Presidency and the Twelve in the weekly Temple meetings. Obedient to your wishes, the Twelve have devoted parts of several meetings to a discussion of this subject and now submit the report of their deliberations to you.

It is our considered judgment that it would not be wise to reinaugurate a practice, which, in our opinion, does not seem to fully carry out the revealed order in Church government. .... We are not able to see the place of the Patriarch in such an administrative council. The nature of his office is such that he would not seem to be vested with the right to vote in the proceedings and he is not charged with the responsibility of 'setting the Church in order.' We believe that it is generally agreed his office is one of blessing and is not executive in nature. His inclusion in the administrative meetings would seem to us to be somewhat confusing to the order of the Church.

The fact that the Patriarch is sustained in conferences as 'Prophet, Seer, and Revelator,' together with members of the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve, has received our attention. While we confess our inability to understand fully the meaning of these traditional terms as applied to anyone other than the President of the Church it does seem reasonably clear to us that the application of the terms does not operate to place all the men to whom they are applied on an equality of authority and privilege. Were it not so every man so sustained would be on a part with the President. The construction that seems most tenable to us is that each man shall be deemed to be 'a Prophet, Seer and Revelator' within the sphere of his particular calling or that these designated powers are conferred to be held in abeyance until such time as the person or persons so designated shall be called to act in the chief administrative office. The President of the Church is the
'Prophet, Seer and Revelator' to the whole Church in all matters. There are undoubtedly some limitations in this respect on the Twelve and very likely further limitations on the Patriarch to the Church. We do not know that the limitations have ever been defined, but we feel sure they must exist.

Another aspect of the matter we feel worthy of mention. We are all agreed that the office of the Patriarch comes by right to one of 'the blood.' It has also been agreed in previous discussions that one who is in line of succession, who is not unworthy, must be chosen. Eligibility for the office therefore may not and does not entail capacity for administrative functions. In his capacity as Patriarch, the man who holds the office may be filled with inspired blessings for the people. That should be his inheritance. ....

In relation to our council meetings in the Temple we venture a suggestion, namely: That all of the other brethren of the General Authorities be invited to join us in the Temple for the observance of one fast day in each quarter during the year. They would then have the opportunity of participating in our prayer circle on these days and partaking of the sacrament, privileges which, we think, few, if any of them, enjoy at the present time. After the administration of the sacrament and hearing such remarks as the President may feel to give they could be excused. In the interest of conserving time for the business of our meeting and for the other General Authorities as well, it could be understood that the prayer circle and sacrament services would not occupy more than one hour and a quarter. We feel sure that such an opportunity would be highly esteemed by our brethren and that the service would make for interested spiritual unity and good will.

We have assumed, of course, that you desired us to give our best judgment in the matter and this we do frankly and most respectfully. (8)
----------------------

Full-time missionary Robert T. Martin is the first American to win the grand prize from the Conservatory of Music in Nancy, France. In 1975, LDS James Arthur Waite, age sixteen, wins first place in violin from the Conservatory of Music in Paris. (9)
----------------------

-- 15 years ago today - 6/22/2009 --
[Same-Sex Marriage]
An article in Time magazine, "The Storm Over the Mormons," presents the story of Mormons and Proposition 8. (10)
----------------------

1 - Wikipedia: Chronology of Mormonism, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Mormonism
2 - Kimball, Stanley B. ed, On the Potter's Wheel: The Diaries of Heber C. Kimball
3 - Book of Commandments and Revelations (Revelation Book 1) http://bit.ly/manuscript-revelations
4 - Conkling, Christopher J., Joseph Smith Chronology
5 - Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1844, http://amzn.to/jsdiaries
6 - George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton
7 - The Diaries of J. Reuben Clark, 1933-1961, Abridged, Digital Edition, Salt Lake City, Utah 2015
8 - Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Letter to George Albert Smith, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1910-1951, Privately Published, Salt Lake City, Utah 2010
9 - The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database ( http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase )]
10 - Mormons for Marriage: A Prop 8 Timeline, http://mormonsformarriage.com/?page_id=68

via todayinmormonhistory-email https://ift.tt/ambDAHY
RSS Feed

Manage

Unsubscribe from these notifications or sign in to manage your Email service.

IFTTT
Download IFTTT for iOS Download IFTTT for Android