Today in Mormon History - May 19

RSS Feed via IFTTT

May 19, 2024, 11:44:54 AMMay 19
to cla...@gmail.com
On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 185 years ago today - May 19, 1839 --

Popular author Edward Bickersteth preaches a series of sermons where he considers "the signs of these latter days, which are preparatory steps to the establishment of Christ's kingdom." Steps to this end are overcoming Catholic influence ... "that the mystical Babylon, or the Papal kingdoms, may fall, and the Jews return";

Preaching to the Gentiles. "The Preaching to the Gentiles fulfils that plain prophecy: 'I saw an angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting Gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation and kindred, and tongue, and people, saying with a loud voice, fear God and give glory to him, for the hour of his judgment is come, and worship him that made heaven and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.' And delightful, most delightful, is it, to witness the extended preaching of the Gospel through the world."

"The Preaching to the Jews... another sign of these times"

In subsequent sermons he talks of modern fulfillment of "the mind of Christ" from Isaiah. "The Gentiles, indeed, chiefly receive him and bring forth fruits, ... They are grafted into the Jewish olive-tree." ... "What are all the Churches of Christ among the Gentiles but the seed of Abraham? What is the Saviour's prayer for his people, both from [sic] Jew and Gentile? - that they all may be one. And when Israel is restored, and when the saints are gathered, and when the heavenly Jerusalem is completed, what will be the enraptured triumphs of the Jewish church, looking back on the time of its widowhood, and seeing that, in that very time, the Lord was doing so much for her!"

"...beginning to appear of the restoration of Israel. The silence of eighteen centuries is broken; the prejudices of eighteen centuries are giving way. Jews and Christians are beginning to sympathise in one hope" (1)
----------------------

-- 175 years ago today - May 19, 1849 --
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal]
Morning Papers say that half of the business part of the city of St Louis Mo is now lying in ruins by fire... Also several terrible ship wrecks & loss of life. Watertown New York is also burnt up. The Herald has the full particulars of the dredful riot & Bloodshed in New York. Also the Continued wars of Europe And the sweeping progress of the Cholera in America ... Pestilence is raging among the 25,000 gold seekers gatherd in Mo to go to the gold digings By the way of the Salt Lake. All the Earth seems to be in Confusion & Commotion with war savord, plague pestilence fire earthquakes & storms. The Bible Doctrin & Covenants, & Book Mormon are truly being fulfilled.

...A question Arose As to whether this people [an primitive tribe of Mandingo Indians] [an primitive tribe of Mandingo Indians] be not descendants of one the lost tribes of Israel. ... (2)
----------------------

-- 170 years ago today - May 19, 1854 --
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal]
.... Lorenzo Snow Young spoke & had the spirit of God upon him & profisied upon many things but ther was no reporting of any part of the meeting ... (2)
----------------------

[Brigham Young Sermon]
President Brigham Young spoke nearly as follows: The duties of the Missionaries here is to save the remnants of Israel. God planted us here in the valleys of Ephraim, we have been brought to these valleys for a good purpose, to save Israel. In all His dealings, He is wise. The white men of the east have driven the red men west, and those farther west ... The Spirit of the Lord said to me: '"Send missionaries to Israel amid these mountains, at home, not to farm exclusively, not to build fine houses and enclose large fields, but more especially to learn their language that you may be able to speak with them and understand them, and get to their understandings, their affections, if they go away in parties you are to go with them. ... (3)
----------------------

-- 135 years ago today - May 19, 1889 --

Apostle Francis M. Lyman teaches: "Whenever a false doctrine is presented to the Latter-day Saints, I will tell you one way by which you may know its falsity: it produces in the heart of every Saint, a question. There is uncertainty; there is something that disturbs the spirit of every Latter-day Saint. If they read an erroneous doctrine in the public prints; if they hear it in a discourse; if it is spoken to them in private, it does not seem to settle in their hearts as though it were a part of the plan of salvation; but it produces questioning, uncertainty, doubt and misgiving."
----------------------

-- 130 years ago today - May 19, 1894 --
[Francis M. Lyman]
[Fillmore] I confidentially told them they [at Relief Society Conference] should not think that men committed sin if they did happen to associate with their plural wives. (4)
----------------------

-- 65 years ago today - Tue May 19, 1959 --
[David O. McKay Office Journal]
The news of [Stephen L Richard's] passing was a terrible shock to me.

May 19, 1959: [Part of telephone conversation between McKay and Ezra Taft Benson:] Brother Benson: It [the death of Richards] is an awful shock, and I know what a shock it is to you! President McKay: He has been as close to me as a brother could be, a friend of the truest kind. He has been wonderful, and of great value to me. It is a great loss to the Church. He was a great intellect, a great soul. He was as loyal to me as his grandfather was to the Prophet and just as close. (5)
----------------------

-- 55 years ago today - May 19, 1969 --

First Presidency publishes: "We make no statement on how this country can or should try to disengage itself from the present regrettable war in Vietnam. . . .We believe our young men should hold themselves in readiness to respond to the call of their government to serve in the armed forces when called upon." This is the first war in the twentieth century when the Church's DESERET NEWS does not editorialize in favor of option for conscientious objection.
----------------------

1 - Grunder, Rick, Mormon Parallels: A Bibliographic Source
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
3 - The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses
4 - Excerpts of Apostle Francis M. Lyman Diaries, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
5 - McKay, David O., Office Journal
RSS Feed

Manage

Unsubscribe from these notifications or sign in to manage your Email service.

IFTTT
Download IFTTT for iOS Download IFTTT for Android