Today in Mormon History - Aug 09

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Aug 9, 2022, 12:01:10 PM8/9/22
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 175 years ago today - Aug 9, 1847 (Monday) --

Catharine C. Steele, wife of John Steele, of the Battalion, gave birth to a female child who was named Young Elizabeth Steele. She was the first white child born in the Valley. (1)
----------------------

-- 175 years ago today - Aug 9, 1847. Monday. --
[William Clayton]
The Twelve had decided on a name for this place and a caption for all letters and documents issued from this place, which is as follows: Salt Lake City, Great Basin, North America. (2)
----------------------

-- 165 years ago today - Aug 9, 1857 --

Apostle John Taylor: “This [Horace] Greeley is one of their popular characters in the East, and one that supports the stealing of niggers and the underground railroad.” (3)
----------------------

[Wilford Woodruff]
[Former president of the Twelve] Thomas B Marsh is Coming. Is a poor old man. He asked if Brigham or Heber would not adopt him as their Son. (4)
----------------------

-- 145 years ago today - Aug 9, 1877 --

Twenty days before his death Brigham Young says at a Bishop's meeting, it is his intention to have the old tabernacle taken down and a comfortable meeting house erected in its stead. On the 23d, at a similar meeting, he being present, appoints George Goddard, Thomas Taylor, Henry Grow, William Asper and Edward Brain to act as a committee to carry out his suggestions. The "old tabernacle" is replaced by the many-spired Assembly Hall on the south-west corner of Temple Square. This is Young's last public expression of a business nature.
----------------------

-- 135 years ago today - Aug 9, 1887 • Tuesday --
[George Q. Cannon]
Had considerable conversation with the brethren who came in, especially with Bro. H. B. Clawson whom we sent to California to see parties there. The news that he brings is quite favorable. Brother Joseph F. Smith and myself listened to it and had a full conversation with him. Afterwards we invited President Woodruff in and gave him some outlines on the matter, without communicating to him the names of the parties; told him that we were under obligation not to reveal them, and that, as they expressed a disinclination for twelve men to be made acquainted with it, it might be necessary for the Twelve to select a committee of three to act in this matter. I had a full conversation with the brethren upon this point. I told them that, so far as I was concerned, I did not wish to have anything to do with this matter, if the brethren would excuse me. They both thought that I ought to continue my labors in that direction. Bro. Clawson also told us that the parties with whom he had been doing business depended a great deal upon me, because they were acquainted with me. However, I felt that what I knew could easily be communicated to someone else and I could give them advice, if it were right to do so. I felt to lay this matter before the Lord. There is a great deal of responsibility connected with this business and I know very well that the greater portion of it will rest upon me. I, therefore, would, if it was the Lord’s will, prefer being relieved from it and let someone else take hold. (5)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Aug 9, 1902; Saturday --
[William Smart]
[Reed Smoot speaking:] Said Pres[ident]. [Wilford] Woodruff went against whole 12 [apostles] and his counsellors to sustain sugar factory although he was not considered a financial man. He said it was the Lord's will & time proved him to be right. (6)
----------------------

-- 125 years ago today - Aug 9, 1897 --

Brother Moses Thatcher again appeared as a witness in his own behalf. He asked, 'Why am I condemned for arguing against the union of Church and State, when such are the views of our leading brethren on that subject? And if I should differ from them is not this State and Nation guaranteeing freedom of speech and of the press?' ...

Councillor Elias A. Smith made the objection that this was argument and was out of order at this stage of the proceedings. ... (7)
----------------------

-- 30 years ago today - Aug 9, 1992. --

Elder Jacob de Jaeger, speaking in Salt Lake Whittier Ward priesthood meeting, identifies as one of six duties of the Latter-day Saints "to get along with everybody--and that includes those that read the Ensign and those that read Sunstone." (8)

1 - Jenson, Andrew, Church Chronology
2 - George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://bit.ly/WilliamClayton
3 - The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database ( http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase )]
4 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
5 - The Journal of George Q. Cannon, Church Historian's Press, https://churchhistorianspress.org/george-q-cannon
6 - William H. Smart, Diary
7 - Salt Lake Stake High Council, Minutes, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015, Appendix 5: The 1897 Trial of Moses Thatcher before the Salt Lake Stake High Council
8 - Anderson, Lavina Fielding, "The LDS Intellectual Community and Church Leadership: A Contemporary Chronology," Dialogue, Vol.26, No.1