Today in Mormon History - Jun 30

RSS Feed via IFTTT

Jun 30, 2024, 9:58:36 PM (2 days ago) Jun 30
to cla...@gmail.com
On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 195 years ago today - Circa Jun 30, 1829 --

According to David Whitmer, the [Book of Mormon] translation is completed by 1 July 1829 , or in late June. (1)
----------------------

-- 195 years ago today - ca. late June 1829 --
[Lucy Mack Smith]
Traditional date for the restoration of the Melchizedek priesthood by Peter, James, and John. (2)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jun 30, 1844 --

Illinois Governor Thomas Ford orders "Colonel Fellows and Captain Jonas" to go to Nauvoo "and ascertain what is the feeling, the disposition, and determination of the people there, . . . ascertain whether any of them propose in any manner to revenge themselves, whether any threats have been used, and what is proposed generally, to be done by them." He orders them then to go to nearby Warsaw to ascertain "whether any attack is intended on Nauvoo. . . . [A]nd in my name forbid any such interference, without my request, on pain of being demanded for punishment." (3)
----------------------

[Letter from Vilate Kimball to Heber C. Kimball regarding the death of Joseph & Hyrum Smith]
My Dear Dear Companion

Never before, did I take up my pen

to address you under so trying circumstances as we are now placed

but as Br Adams the bearer of this can tell you more than I can write

I shall not attempt to discribe [describe] the scene that we have passed through

God forbid that I should ever witness another like unto it

I saw the lifeless corpes [corpse] of our beloved brethren when they

were brought to their almost distracted families. yea I witnessed

their tears and groans which was enough to rend the heart of an

adamant. every brother and sister that [ ] witnessed the scene fe[lt]

deeply to simpathyze [symphonize] with them. yea, every heart is filled with

sorrow, and the very streets of Nauvoo seam to morn. whare [where]

it will end the Lord only knows. we are kept awake night after

night by the alarm of mobs. these apostates say, their damnation

is sealed their die is cast, their doom is fixed. and they are

determined to do all in their power to have revenge. ... (4)
----------------------

-- 130 years ago today - Jun 30, 1894 --
[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary]
Some months ago I made a covenant with Him that I would devote nine tenths of all the profits which I might make from mining for a period of ten years to the Church as Tithing and that I would retain but one tenth of these profits for my own use. Inasmuch as I have not made a dolar in mining as yet and also seeing that I would get the credit on the tithing books for all such sums in case I were to make anyting from mining I have today in my prayers made a covenant to give all such sums for such purposes as the Presidency of the Church of some of the Apostles may direct instead of taking credit on tithing. (5)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Jun 30, 1904 --

The LDS church historian decides that publications should acknowledge the existence of only the Presiding Bishopric and ward bishoprics and not acknowledge the former offices of regional bishops, traveling bishops, and stake bishops. (6)
----------------------

-- 110 years ago today - Jun 30, 1914; Tuesday --

This evening's papers announce the closing down of the "Dream Mine", near Salem, Utah. I regard this as a good occurrence in view of the conditions under which so many people have been deceived in connection with this ill-directed enterprise. (7)
----------------------

-- 45 years ago today - Jun 30, 1979 --

Wilbur Fugate swears to an affidavit concerning the origin of the "Kinderhook Plates:" "they are a HUMBUG, gotten up by Robert Wiley, Bridge Whitton and myself. . . . We read in Pratt's prophecy that 'Truth is yet to spring out of the earth.' We concluded to prove the prophecy by way of a joke. . . . Bridge Whitton cut them out of some pieces of copper; Wiley and I made the hieroglyphics by making impressions on beeswax and filling them with acid and putting it on the plates. . . . Our plans worked admirably. . . .On the following morning quite a number of citizens were there to assist in the search, there being two Mormon elders present (Marsh and Sharp). . . . The Mormons wanted to take the plates to Joe Smith, but we refused to let them go. Some time afterward a man assuming the name of Savage, of Quincy, borrowed the plates of Wiley to show to his literary friends there, and took them to Joe Smith (3)
----------------------

1 - Vogel, Dan, Early Mormon Documents, Appendix B: Chronology, 1771-1831, http://amzn.to/T5nY8w
2 - Anderson, Lavina Fielding, Editor, Lucy's Book: A Critical Edition of Lucy Mack Smith's Family Memoir, 2001, Signature Books, http://bit.ly/lucys-book
3 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com, based on Michael Quinn's Mormon Hierarchy vols 1 & 2
4 - Letter from Vilate Kimball to Heber C. Kimball
5 - Diary of Heber J. Grant, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
6 - The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database ( http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase )]
7 - James E. Talmage, Diary

via todayinmormonhistory-email https://ift.tt/a2FMVnj
RSS Feed

Manage

Unsubscribe from these notifications or sign in to manage your Email service.

IFTTT
IFTTT Pro: Seriously powerful tools for creators