Fwd: Today in Mormon History - Jun 06

Clair Barrus

Jun 7, 2024, 5:35:25 PMJun 7
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

{content: On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 185 years ago today - Jun 6, 1839 --

First British converts arrive in Nauvoo. Cheap land is a prominent factor. (1)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jun 6, 1844 --
[Heber C. Kimball diary]
.... Last nite I clothed my self and offered up the Sines [signs] of the Holy Preasthood and called one the name of the Lord. He hurd me fore my heart was /mad[e]/ comfortable. I inquired by the rod. It was said my family was well, that my wife would come to me in the East, and that Congress would not do anny thing fore us. I do not care wheather they do or not. It is none of thares to give. My Father in heaven owns it all and he will give it to, so let them go to thare own place. ...

[Quinn notes: 'Kimball clothes himself in endowment robes, prays in the "true order," while holding a divining "rod," and asks yes-no questions. Movement of the rod means "yes" and no movement "no." This is the first verified use of a divining rod in Mormonism since an 1829 revelation commended Cowdery's use of his "rod of nature...behold it has told you things."'] (2)
----------------------

-- 165 years ago today - Jun 6, 1859 --
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal]
Brother G[eorge].A. S[mith] proposed to write our History & keep our Journals in the deseret Alphabet. The Clerks Commenced writing it. (3)
----------------------

-- 150 years ago today - Jun 06, 1874 --

Little Soldier and his tribe of Native Americans from the Ogden area are baptized; this is one of the earliest tribes to join the Church.
----------------------

-- 125 years ago today - Jun 6, 1899; Tuesday --

The case of a Brother Millert, school teacher, vs. Benjamin Cluff, Jun[ior].., President of the Brigham Young Academy, was reviewed ... Brother Cluff had gone out of his way to injure Brother Millert, and that he had done this contrary to the wishes of the Academy Board; and it was therefore recommended that Brother Cluff should make a written apology to Brother Millert. It was now made known that it was Millert's intention to sue Cluff for damages before the law, provided he could get a Church decision to warrant such a step. In fact,

Millert's attorney had called on President Snow in the hope of getting this decision, and it was now thought that if the recommendation of the Bishopric were adopted and the written apology placed in Millert's hands, it would be used by him to carry out his threatened purpose--that of prosecuting Brother Cluff. It was therefore decided to approve the decision of the High Council, which was to the effect that while Millert's charge against Cluff was not sustained, the latter acted unwisely in writing to the Superintendent of District schools of Salt Lake City, prejudicing him against the employment of Millert as a teacher. It should be added that Brother Cluff justified himself in this action by stating that he had said nothing about Brother Millert but the truth, which he stood ready to prove. (4)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Jun 6, 1904 --

This in answer to yours of the 28th ult., seeking instructions in regard to the procedure to be taken by the prayer circle of which you are a member:, in view of its present depleted condition in consequence of the late stake division. All prayer circles, excepting what are known as stake prayer circles, are under the direction of the First Presidency, and if, on account of the recent division of the Salt Lake Stake members of your circle have withdrawn from it or desire to withdraw from it, for the purpose of joining the circles of their respective stakes, it is their privilege so to do; and it is also the privilege of the other circles to fill the vacancies thus created in them by inviting good men to join them; but it will be in order for the press of these circles to first submit to us for our approval the names of all contemplated new members before speaking to them about the matter.. (5)
----------------------

-- 80 years ago today - Jun 6, 1944 --
[First Presidency Statement on the invasion of Normandy]
We have been asked for a comment upon the invasion.

We feel this is a day, not for comment, but for prayer for our loved ones who are in the service and for the triumph of righteousness. HEBER J. GRANT, J. REUBEN CLARK, JR., DAVID O. MCKAY, First Presidency. (6)
----------------------

-- 45 years ago today - Jun 6, 1979 --

It is announced that Joseph Smith's Vision of the Celestial Kingdom and Joseph F. Smith's Vision of the Redemption of the Dead, previously part of the Pearl of Great Price, will become part of the Doctrine and Covenants, sections 137 and 138, in future editions. (7)

1 - Chronology of Mormon History, http://followtheprophets.com/chronology-of-mormon-history/
2 - Kimball, Stanley B. ed, On the Potter's Wheel: The Diaries of Heber C. Kimball; Quinn, D. Michael, The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power, Appendix 7: Selected Chronology of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-47, http://amzn.to/origins-power
3 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
4 - First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve minutes
5 - Journal History, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1910-1951, Privately Published, Salt Lake City, Utah 2010
6 - 1944-June 6-Improvement Era 47:440, July, 1944 as quoted in Clark, James R., Messages of the First Presidency (6 volumes)
7 - Sherry Baker: Mormon Media History Timeline: 1827-2007, http://byustudies.byu.edu/showTitle.aspx?title=7984 }
file_not_found.png