Today in Mormon History - Oct 24

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Oct 24, 2021, 12:01:13 PM10/24/21
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 190 years ago today - Oct 24, 1831 --
[Ezra Booth]
... "Being carried away in the spirit" and "I know it to be so by the spirit," are well known phrases, and in common use in the Mormonite church. We will first notice the gift of tongues, exercised by some when carried away in the spirit. These persons were apparently lost to all surrounding circumstances, and wrapt up in the contemplation of things, and in communicating with persons not present. -- They articulated sounds, which but few present professed to understand; and those few, declared them to be the Indian language. A merchant, who had formerly been a member of the Methodist society, observed, he had formerly traded with the Indians, and he knew it to be their dialect. Being myself present on some of these occasions, a person proffered his services as my interpreter, and translated these sounds, which to me were unintelligible, into English language. One individual could read any chapter of the Old or New-Testament, in several different languages. This was known to be the case by a person who professed to understand those languages. In the midst of this delirium, they would, at times, fancy themselves addressing a congregation of their red brethren; and mounted upon a stump, or the fence, or from some elevated situation, would harangue their assembly, until they had convinced and converted them. They would then lead them into the water, and baptize them, and pronounce their sins forgiven. In this exercise, some of them actually went into the water; and in the water, performed the ceremony used in baptizing. These actors assumed the visage of the savage, and so nearly imitated him, not only in language, but in gestures and actions, that it seemed the soul and body were completely metamorphosed into the Indian. ...

A new method for obtaining authority to preach the Gospel was introduced into the church. One declared he had received a commission, directly from Heeven [sic], written upon parchment. Another, that it was written upon the palm of his hand, and upon the lid of his Bible, &c. Three witnesses, and they were formerly considered persons of veracity, testified, that they saw the parchment, or something like it, when put into the hands of the candidate. These commissions, when transcribed upon a piece of paper, were read to the church, and the persons who had received them, were ordained to the Elder's office, and sent out into the world to preach. ...

... The visionary, at times, imagined he saw the City of New-Jerusalem; unlocked its gate, and entered within the walls; passed through its various apartments, and then returned, locked the gate, and put the key into his pocket. When this tour was finished, he would entertain his admiring friends, with a detailed description of the Heavenly City.

The condition of the ten tribes of Israel since their captivity, unto the present time, has excited considerable anxiety, and given rise to much speculation among the learned. But after all the researches which have been made, the place of their residence has never been satisfactorily ascertained. But these visionaries have discovered their place of residence to be contiguous to the north pole; separated from the rest of the world by impassable mountains of ice and snow. In this sequestered residence, they enjoy the society of Elijah the Prophet, and John the Revelator, and perhaps the three immortalized Nephites. -- By and by, the mountains of ice and snow are to give way, and open a passage for the return of these tribes, to the land of Palestine....

Smith is the only one at present, to my knowledge, who pretends to hold converse with the inhabitants of the celestial world. It seems from his statements, that he can have access to them, when and where he pleases. He does not pretend that he sees them with his natural, but with his spiritual, eyes; and he says he can see them as well with his eyes shut, as with them open. So also in translating. -- The subject stands before his eyes in print, but it matters not whether his eyes are open or shut; he can see as well one way as the other....

Smith describes an angel, as having the appearance of "a tall, slim, well built, handsome man, with a bright pillar upon his head." The Devil once, he says, appeared to him in the same form, excepting upon his head he had a "black pillar," and by this mark, he was able to distinguish him from the former.

It passes for a current fact in the Mormonite church, that there are immense treasures in the earth, especially in those places in the State of N. Y. from whence many of the Mormonites emigrated last spring: and when they become sufficiently purified, these treasures are to be poured into the lap of their church; and then, to use their own language, they are to be the richest people in the world. These treasures were discovered several years since, by means of the dark glass, the same with which Smith says he translated most of the Book of Mormon. -- Several of those persons, together with Smith, who were formerly unsuccessfully engaged in digging and searching for these treasures, now reside in this county, and from themselves I received this information. Yours, affectionately,

EZRA BOOTH. (1)
----------------------

[Joseph] Smith is the only person at present, to my knowledge, who pretends to hold converse with the inhabitants of the celestial world. It seems from his statements, that he can have access to them, when and where he pleases. He does not pretend that he sees them with his natural, but with his spiritual eyes; and he says he can see them as well with his eyes shut, as with them open. So also in translating.-The subject stands before his eyes in print, but it matters not whether his eyes are open or shut; he can see as well one way as the other.

...Smith describes an angel, as having the appearance of a "tall, slim, well built, handsome man, with a bright pillar upon his head." The Devil once, he says, appeared to him in the same form, excepting upon his head he had a "black pillar," and by this mark, he was able to distinguish him from the former.

It passes for a current fact in the Mormonite church, that there are immense treasures in the earth, especially in those places in the State of N.Y. from whence many of the Mormonites emigrated last spring: and when they become sufficiently purified, these treasures are to be poured into the lap of their church; and then, to use their own language, they are to be the richest people in the world. These treasures were discovered several years since, by means of the dark glass, the same with which Smith says he translated most of the Book of Mormon-Several of those persons, together with Smith, who were formerly unsuccessfully engaged in digging and searching for these treasures, now reside in this county, and from themselves I received this information. (2)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - 1841. October 24 --

In fulfillment of a prophecy by Joseph Smith and of his own 1840 vision, Hyde ascended the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem and dedicated Palestine for the future return of the Jews: (3)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Thursday, Oct 24, 1901 --

President [Joseph F.] Smith arose and said, I believe in being frank with my brethren. I am going to make a suggestion and leave the result in your hands. I would be glad if we all had sons worthy of the apostleship, for I would like to see the sons of the apostles brought forward as far as possible. I feel that this is right. I now nominate, as it is my privilege so to do, my son, Hyrum M. Smith, to fill the vacancy in the quorum of Apostles and will leave the matter entirely with the brethren. All present spoke, one by one, and endorsed the nomination. Apostle Jno. H. Smith said that while he heartily endorsed the nomination, he felt that doubtless some fault would be found with our action, but at the same time he realized that there would be some to find fault with any action that might be taken in the premises. Pres. Smith made brief remarks. Was profoundly thankful to the brethren for the unanimity that had been manifested. No doubt some might find fault with the action of today, but faultfinders will always be in evidence among the people. He felt that it was his right to do as he had done. Hyrum is a good, honest, faithful, virtuous boy, and he had no doubt but that he would magnify the apostleship.

... At this juncture Elder Hyrum M. Smith came in, and Apostle Jno. H. Smith by request informed him that he had been chosen an apostle and proceeded to deliver the usual charge, in brief as follows, to wit:

Brother Hyrum Smith, it is presumed that you are a moral man, that you observe the word of wisdom, that you subscribe to the principles of the gospel, that you accept the principle of plural marriage, and that you uphold and sustain in your heart the First Presidency, the Twelve, the patriarch, and other general authorities of the church. You are to be ready at any time to go and to come at the call of the Presidency. Your heart must be given to your God, your loyalty must never be questioned. You must be God-fearing, honest, just, and a tithe-payer.

President Smith said in part, I want to impress upon your mind that the law of God is the supreme law and that the will of God is the supreme will and that no authority on the earth is entitled to develop the law, as aforesaid, but the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles. You must be loyal and true to them—you must never falter or rebel. President Young told me upon one occasion that no man in the quorum of Apostles who falters or rebels can ever attain to the presidency of the church. And because they faltered, Orson Pratt and Orson Hyde lost their place of seniority in the quorum, and were consequently thrown out of the line to the presidency. Elder Smith said he know[s] this to be the work of God and would endeavor to [do] his duty, if ordained an apostle. Elder Hyrum Smith was then ordained a high priest and an apostle in the quorum of the Twelve Apostles, under the hands of all present, Pres. Jos. F. Smith being mouth. Benediction by President Brigham Young. (4)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Oct 24, 1901 --
[J. Golden Kimball]
Attended the regular meeting of the Pres[iden]tcy, and Apostles in the Temple at 10.30 a.m. ... Pres[iden]t. Jos[eph]. F. Smith mentioned the name of his oldest son Hyrum M. Smith to fill the vacancy in the Quo[rum]. of Twelve. His recommendation was unanimously sustained, though the wisdom of this action at this time was questioned by some of the brethren. I also stated that Jos[eph]. F[ielding]. [Smith] Jr. was my favorite among Pres[iden]t. Smith's sons. (5)
----------------------

[William H. Smart]
Bro[ther]. Geo[rge]. Reynolds informed me at 3 P.M. that the vacancy existing in the Twelve Apostles was to be filled by the appointing of Hyrum M. Smith son of Pres[ident] Joseph F Smith. It is said that Pres[ident]. Smith knew nothing about it as the Twelve nominated him, but as in many other cases, the Pres[ident]. of the church did not fail to accept the suggestion. It was no doubt done to favor Bro[ther]. Joseph, as his son Hyrum has done nothing to bring him so prominently to the front. I call to mind the fact that Pres[ident] Brigham Young looked to it, and required my father to ordain his sons apostles. Pres[ident]. John Taylor and [Wilford] Woodruff had sons placed in the Quorum of the Twelve and from what I have heard Pres[ident]. [Lorenzo] Snow intended to do the same. Pres[ident]. Jos[eph] F Smith has not been a president but a few days when we are informed that the Twelve nominated his son without his knowledge. I know these men hold the Apostleship and have divine authority, but I question their appointments sometimes. God permits men to do many things but does not give revelation and say, 'Thus saith the Lord.' Why is the silent on these most important matters? Why this long continuous Silence? Is the Lord far distant? I confess I am tried over this appointment. Learned since that Pres[ident]. Smith nominated his son etc. etc. (6)
----------------------

-- 115 years ago today - Oct 24, 1906 --
[Thomas A. Clawson Diary]
"Had talk with bro Thomas Hull over the political situation and learned that Wm H. King had told Judge Lewis in open court that the Church was interfering in politics and that in a Secret Priesthood Meeting all the brethren had been told that those who voted against Reed Smoot were against the Church &c. I also learned the [that] Prest. John Taylor just before he died and while in exile called some of the brethren to him and said in the name of the Lord that this people would divide on party lines and that there would be trouble between them. That they should watch the democrats for they would be found fighting against the Priesthood. This prediction has been literally fulfilled for the democrats are fighting against the Priesthood of God." (7)
----------------------

-- 75 years ago today - Oct 24, 1946 --

Letter read from June B. Sharp of the South African Mission regarding a letter that has been forwarded to him by the office of the First Presidency and the correspondence that President Sharp had had with O.J. Umordak of Afaha Ofiong, Mbiaso Post Office, Uyo District, Nigeria, in which Mr. Umordak pleads for missionaries to be sent to Nigeria and also asks for literature regarding the Church. These people are Africans of the black race. President Sharp asks if he should comply with [the] man's request to send literature to him.

After some discussion regarding our responsibility in proclaiming the Gospel to the world, Council decided to give the matter further consideration before making reply. (8)
----------------------

-- 40 years ago today - Oct 24, 1981 --

Elder Thomas S. Monson and business and community leaders in Salt Lake City meet with U.S. President Ronald Reagan, who praises the Church's welfare program.

1 - Ohio Star
2 - Ezra Booth to Ira Eddy, 24 October 1831, in Larry E. Morris, I Should Have an Eye Single to the Glory of God: Joseph Smith's Account of the Angel and the Plates
3 - Van Wagoner, Richard and Walker, Steven C., A Book of Mormons, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
4 - Stan Larson (editor), A Ministry of Meetings: The Apostolic diaries of Rudger Clawson, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1993, http://bit.ly/rudgerclawson
5 - J. Golden Kimball, Diary, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015
6 - William H. Smart, Diary, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015
7 - Diary Excerpts of Thomas A. Clawson, Signature Books Library, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
8 - Minutes of the Council of the Twelve and of the First Presidencyat Marquardt, Adam S. Bennion Papers, at H. Michael, Mormon Central: Excerpts From Minutes of the Council of the Twelve and of the First Presidency, 1879-1947 http://www.xmission.com/~research/central/chorg2.htm