Today in Mormon History - Jun 21

RSS Feed via IFTTT

Jun 21, 2024, 9:34:00 AMJun 21
to cla...@gmail.com
On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 195 years ago today - 21/Jun 28, 1829 --

Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer (who remembered that it was a Sunday), and Martin Harris become, at their request, the Three Witnesses. (1)
----------------------

-- 190 years ago today - Jun 21, 1834 --
[Heber C. Kimball diary - Zion's Camp]
21 On the 21st, Colonel Searcy and two other leading men from Ray county, came to see us, desiring to know what our intentions were; for said he, "I see that there is an Almighty power that protects this people, for I started from Richmond, Ray county, with a company of armed men having a fixed determination to destroy you, but was kept back by the storm and was not able to reach you." When he came into the camp he was seized with such a trembling, that he was obliged to sit down in order to compose himself. When he desired to know what our intentions were, Brother Joseph arose and began to speak and the power of God rested upon him. He gave a relation of the sufferings of our people in Jackson county, and also of all our persecutions and what we had suffered by our enemies for our religion; and that we had come one thousand miles to assist our brethren, to bring them clothing, and to reinstate them upon their own lands; that we had no intentions to molest or injure any people,
but only to administer to the wants of our afflicted brethren; and that the evil reports, which were circulated about us were false, and were circulated by our enemies to get us destroyed.

After he got through and had spoke quite lengthy, the power of which melted them into compassion, they arose and offered him their hands, and said they would use their influence to allay the excitement which everywhere prevailed against us. They accordingly went forth and rode day and night to pacify the people; and they wept because they saw we were a poor afflicted people, and our intentions were pure.... (2)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jun 21, 1844 --

Joseph Smith exchanged letters regarding the growing crisis in Nauvoo with Thomas Ford, governor of Illinois, and prepared affidavits for him. (3)
----------------------

-- 150 years ago today - Jun 21, 1874 --
[Brigham Young Sermon]
While we were in England, I think, the Lord manifested to me by visions and his Spirit, things that I did not then understand. I never opened my mouth to any persons concerning them, until I returned to Nauvoo. Joseph had never mentioned this, there had never been a thought of it in the Church that I knew anything about at that time. But I had this for myself, and I kept it to myself, and when I returned home and Joseph revealed these things to me, I then understood the reflections that were upon my mind while in England. But this was not until after I had told him what I understood. I saw that he was after something by his conversation, leading my mind along, and others, to see how we could bear this. This was in 1841; the revelation was given in 1843, but the doctrine was revealed before this; and when I told Joseph what I understood, which was right in front of my house in the street, as he was shaking hands and leaving me, he turned round and looked me in the eyes, and says
he'"'"Brother Brigham, are you speaking what you understand,'"are you in earnest?'" Says I'"'"I speak just as the Spirit manifests to me.'" Says he'"'"God bless you, the Lord has opened your mind,'" and he turned and went off.. ......

I want to prophesy that he and his Ward will be prepared by and by, and I hope my prophecy will be fulfilled.

How many are there in this Church who are now wavering and shaking because they have spoken against the ordinances of heaven, and especially against that ordinance which God has revealed for the exaltation of the children of men in celestial [plural] marriage? Hold that as sacred as your own soul: if you cannot see the beauty and glory of it, and feel it in your own hearts, say nothing against it. ... The fact is, let the pure principles of the kingdom of God be taught to men and women, and far more of the latter than the former will receive and obey them. What shall we do with them? They want exaltation, they want to be in the great family of heaven, they do not want to be cast off, then they must be taken into the families of those who prove themselves worthy to be exalted with the Gods. ... -- SLC 3rd Ward (4)
----------------------

-- 125 years ago today - Jun 21, 1899 --

Presidents [Lorenzo] Snow and [Joseph F.] Smith gave an interview to Apostle Brigham Young [Jr.]; Bishop [William B.] Preston also being present. Brother Young had concluded to go into a business enterprise with his son-in-law...

President Snow, after hearing Brother Young's statement, told him that he very much questioned the right of an Apostle to go into business in such a way as to tie himself up, so that he would not be free to attend to the duties of the Apostleship; especially in view of the fact that he is so well remunerated for his services. Moreover, the President questioned the wisdom of Brother Young's doing as he proposed, since he would have to borrow money.

Brother Young reminded President Snow that nearly all the Apostles were engaged in some kind of business, and he, being an exception to the rule, was desirous of doing something too.

President Snow reminded Brother Young that brethren of the Twelve had gone into business and deplorably failed, and that the Church had to come to their rescue at great expense. It was time, he thought, that the Church should protect itself against a repetition of such things. ... (5)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Jun 21, 1904 --

Discussions between the First Presidency and promoters begin regarding the feasibility of creating a complete stereo-view set of Mormon history sites. Eventually, "'The Latter Day Saints' Tour from Palmyra, New York to Salt Lake City, Utah through the Stereoscope," with a booklet written by Elder B. H. Roberts describing Church historical sites and providing historical background, is completed and sold nationally and internationally by Underwood & Underwood of Ottawa, Kansas, the largest producer of this popular medium.
----------------------

-- 70 years ago today - Jun 21, 1954 --

After quoting 3 Nephi 1:13 "Tomorrow come I into the world" First-Presidency Second Counselor J. Reuben Clark states (in a talk at BYU): "But it seems possible that the spirit may not be present in the embryo till at least shortly before birth, whether the birth be regular or premature." (6)
----------------------

-- 50 years ago today - Jun 21, 1974-Friday --
[Leonard Arrington]
Brother Anderson told me that he understood that the Quorum of Twelve had discussed again the matter of contracts with our sesquicentennial authors and had decided that Jim Mortimer should offer them a flat sum of $20,000. We are to notify in writing that decision whereupon Jim and I are to write letters to each of the authors. (7)
----------------------

-- 45 years ago today - Jun 21, 1979-Thursday --
[Leonard Arrington]
I learned yesterday that Ray Bradbury, the famous science fiction writer, is a lapsed Latter-day Saint. They have invited him to speak on a couple of occasions at a BYU assembly, and he has replied that he is terrified of flying, and therefore could not come except on an occasion when he is driving out. (8)
----------------------

1 - Anderson, Lavina Fielding, Editor, Lucy's Book: A Critical Edition of Lucy Mack Smith's Family Memoir, 2001, Signature Books, http://bit.ly/lucys-book
2 - Kimball, Stanley B. ed, On the Potter's Wheel: The Diaries of Heber C. Kimball
3 - Joseph Smith Resource Center: Daily Events in the Life of Joseph Smith, http://josephsmith.net/josephsmith/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=e581001cfb340010VgnVCM1000001f5e340aRCRDlocale=0
4 - Journal of Discourses. Liverpool, England, 1853-86. 18:235-249; Deseret News. Also Deseret Evening News, Deseret News Weekly, Deseret News Semi- Weekly, and Deseret News Extra, Salt Lake City as quoted in The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses
5 - Journal History, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1910-1951, Privately Published, Salt Lake City, Utah 2010
6 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot..com, based on Michael Quinn's Mormon Hierarchy vols 1 & 2
7 - Confessions of a Mormon historian : the diaries of Leonard J. Arrington, 1971-1997, Gary James Bergera, editor, Signature Books, 2018
8 - Confessions of a Mormon historian : the diaries of Leonard J. Arrington, 1971-1997, Gary James Bergera, editor, Signature Books, 2018

via todayinmormonhistory-email https://ift.tt/7CQFkRl
RSS Feed

Manage

Unsubscribe from these notifications or sign in to manage your Email service.

IFTTT
IFTTT Pro: Seriously powerful tools for creators