Today in Mormon History - Oct 12

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Oct 12, 2021, 12:01:07 PM10/12/21
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 185 years ago today - Oct 12, 1836 --
[Wilford Woodruff]
12th Retired in company with Elder A. O. Smoot unto the banks of Blood River aside from the abodes of men to spend some time in Prayer & Praise to God & to Perform a solemn duty that is rquired of all the Elders of Israel whose testimony is rejected by this generation while they are preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ & bearing testimony of his NAME. After we had Cleansed our Bodies with Pure water & also with strong drink or spirits this not by Commandment but from Choice we then according to Commandment clensed our hands and feet and bore testimony unto God against the Benton County mob & also against Paris & many others who had rejected our testimony. We enjoyed a solumn, spiritual, & interesting Season.

We retired from that Water in the spirit of God & spent the night for the last time at Brother Levi Taylors & Sister Tailors With the Brethren & Sisters Beneath this roof I have spent some of the most interesting seasons of my life for the last two years. Receieved 4 subscribers for the M & Ad. (1)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Oct 12, 1841 --

Epistle from the Twelve regarding the Nauvoo temple makes first reference to baptisms for health. "The time has come when the great Jehovah would have a resting place on earth, a habitation for his chosen, where his law shall be revealed, and his servants be endued [endowed] from on high, to bring together the honest in heart from the four winds; where the saints may enter the Baptismal Font for their dead relations ... a place, over which the heavenly messengers may watch and trouble the waters as in days of old, so that when the sick are put therein they shall be made whole." (2)
----------------------

-- 175 years ago today - Oct 12, 1846 --

The main body of the Mormon Battalion arrives in Santa Fe. The men meet with their new commander, Col. Philip St. George Cooke. Cooke begins preparations to lead the battalion on the second leg of its march, to California. (3)
----------------------

-- 165 years ago today - Oct 12, 1856 --

You might as well deny "Mormonism," and turn away from it, as to oppose the plurality of wives. Let the Presidency of this Church, and the Twelve Apostles, and all the authorities unite and say with one voice that they will oppose that doctrine, and the whole of them would be damned. What are you opposing it for? It is a principle that God has revealed for the salvation of the human family. He revealed it to Joseph the Prophet in this our dispensation; and that which he revealed he designs to have carried out by his people. (4)
----------------------

I met with the Circle in prayer being 17 persons present. At the Close of prayer Elder Leonard Wilford Hardy was called forward & presidents. B. Young H. C. Kimball J M Grant F D. Richards & W Woodruff laid hands upon his head & ordained him to the office of an High Priest and a Bishop & also the first Councellor to Bishop Edward Hunter. The following is a synopsis of his blessing. President Young was mouth.

Brother Leonard Wilford Hardy in the name of Jesus Christ & by virtue of the Holy Priesthood we lay our hands upon your head & ordain you to be a High Priest & a Bishop in the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints And we also ordain you to be the first Councellor to Bishop Edward Hunter, who is the Chief Bishop in the Church & we seal upon your head all the power & Authority of this priesthood & Bishopprick & we seal upon you the spir[it] of Council & Revelation that you may Council the people to pay their tithing & we bless you with the gift of Disernment that you may have power to magnify your Calling & you shall have the spirit of Prophesy & revelation visions Dreams & the Administering of Angels & you shall be filled with wisdom & shall assist in building up the kingdom of God on the Earth & shall be an active assistance unto Bishop Hunter in gathering the Tithing of the people that the Temples of our God may be built & his works carried on.

Let your heart be comforted. You shall be blessed with evry good thing your heart shall desire & your words shall be like a two Edged sword among the people & we seal you up unto Eternal Life & no man shall take your Crown. We seal all these Blessings upon your head in the name of Jesus Christ Amen….

President Kimball remarked that it was no use to baptize the people untill they had made restitutions to those whom they had injured. He also said that the men who had been to work for him He had given $1.50 cts per day & they were dissatisfied & went away to prove whare they said they could get $2 per day.

Elder F. D. Richards said that he had found the people more ready to carry out the principles of this kingdom who had been taught it in the English Language than those who ownly understood the welsh & other Languages. It has seemed like speaking through a quill to the welsh Churches all the time. (1)
----------------------

-- 145 years ago today - Oct 12, 1876 --
We Baptized 603, And Daniel H Wells sealed at the altar 175 Couple mostly for the dead and Wilford Woodruff sealed at the Altar for the Dead 125 Couple. Total sealed at the Altar 300 Couple in one day the most sealings Ever performed in one day by two men in this dispensation, if not during the age of the world. (1)
----------------------

-- 130 years ago today - Oct 12, 1891 --

I went to Salt Lake to day attended a Meeting with the First Presidency & Twelve also Church Atorneys were present'LeGrand Young & F[ranklin]. S. Richards where Matters pertaining to the Manifesto were freeley discused by the at[t]orneys and Others, preparitory to appearing before the Master in Chancery in the Church confiscation Suit, and adj[ourned] at 1.30 to Meet At[t]orney W[illia]m. H. Dixon at 2.45 at Lyon House Office. (5)
----------------------

-- 100 years ago today - Oct 12, 1921 --
[James E. Talmage]
Talmage finishes reading the Doctrine and Covenants proofs (6)
----------------------

-- 60 years ago today - Oct 12, 1961 --

Henry D. Moyle set apart as First Counselor, Hugh B. Brown Second Counselor to President David O. McKay. (7)

1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
2 - Stapley, Jonathan and Wright, Kristine, '"They Shall Be Made Whole": A History of Baptism for Health,' Journal of Mormon History, Fall 2008
3 - Mormon Battalion Timeline, Herald Extra, March 25, 2010
4 - Journal of Discourses, Vol.5, p.204 - p.205, Heber C. Kimball, October 12, 1856
5 - Marriner Wood Merrill, Diary, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015
6 - Chronology of the Life and Work of James E. Talmage, J. Trevor Antley, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MJsHY83JZL_n6CjWq11y1trT_CVXMMXAx2uYOWAwn0c/edit#heading=h.2zfdaoa
7 - Wikipedia, Chronology of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (LDS Church), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_Quorum_of_the_Twelve_Apostles_(LDS_Church)