Today in Mormon History - Oct 11

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Oct 11, 2021, 12:01:10 PM10/11/21
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 190 years ago today - Oct 11, 1831 --

Hiram, Ohio. At a conference at John Johnson's, Joseph Smith taught the brethren about the -"ancient manner of instructing meetings.-", (1)
----------------------

-- 155 years ago today - Oct 11, 1866 --

During Dr. J. King Robinson's lawsuit against Salt Lake City, a mob of twenty to thirty men destroy his "bowling-saloon" in the city. Police chief Andrew Burt and two policemen are identified as members of the mob, and Robinson tells Mayor Daniel H. Wells on 20 Oct. that he will sue the city for damages. He is ejected from the mayor's office. (2)
----------------------

-- 150 years ago today - Oct 11, 1871 (Wednesday) --

A mass meeting convened in answer to the mayor of Salt Lake City, to adopt measures for the relief of the sufferers by the Chicago fire. (3)
----------------------

-- 145 years ago today - Oct 11, 1876 --
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff]
11 Oct 1876 I spent this day in the Endowment House. Brother Samuel H. B. Smith Baptized this day Persons 1,207 times for the dead, the most ever Baptized in this last dispensation in one day by one man, and probably the most Ever Baptized since the world began in one day by one man. (4)
----------------------

-- 135 years ago today - Oct 11, 1886 --

John W. Woolley marries his first plural wife just before President Taylor leaves his home. She is mother of future Seventy's president B. H. Roberts.
----------------------

John W. Woolley marries his first plural wife just before President Taylor leaves his home. She is mother of future Seventy's president B. H. Roberts. (5)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Friday, Oct 11, 1901 --
[Apostle Rudger Clawson]
It was decided that [details f the funeral] ... at 10 a.m. the funeral cortege should take up its march to the tabernacle as follows: police; band; Presidency; Twelve, and Patriarch Jno. Smith; pallbearers; casket; family of deceased; Presiding Bishopric; presidents of stakes; bishopric of 18th ward, the ward where Pres. Snow resided; wives of the general authorities; general board of Relief Societies, general board of the Y.M.M.I.A., general board of the Y.L.M.I.A.; general board of the Deseret Sunday School Union; general board of the Primary Associations; general board of education; church school boards; general board of Religion Classes; directorates: Z.C.M.I., Zion's Saving Bank, Utah Light and Power Co., Salt Lake and Los Angeles Ry. Co., Saltair Beach Co., Grass Creek Coal Co.; general public.

...It was decided by unanimous vote that the counselors of Pres. Snow should act as such in the First Presidency, being in charge of the affairs of the church, until after the funeral. Myself and Apostle Woodruff were appointed as a committee to arrange for a floral offering of the Twelve—the design to be, in a general way, three columns in white representing the First Presidency, with Twelve stars to represent the Twelve Apostles (which duty, we afterwards fulfilled). Benediction by Apostle Jno. W. Taylor. (6)
----------------------

-- 85 years ago today - Oct 11, 1936 --

Lowell L. Bennion, an instructor at the institute of religion at the University of Utah, establishes the first chapter of Lambda Delta Sigma, a fraternity/sorority group for young Latter-day Saints.
----------------------

-- 75 years ago today - Oct 11, 1946 --
[J. Reuben Clark]
Called Harold Bennett about Phillip Tadje, manager of the Drug Store, and his connection with the Dream Mine (he is a vice-president) Mr. Bennett said he would talk to him about it, would not be hasty but would find out where he stood. (7)
----------------------

-- 70 years ago today - Oct 11, 1951 --
[Marion G. Romney]
It seems incredible that this great honor [i.e., the apostleship] should come to me, and yet I was not entirely surprised. For some years I have been tormented with the thought that I might be so chosen. I have sought the Lord in mighty prayer to take the thought out of my heart, but somehow it has persisted. I am grateful beyond expression for the call and I intend to give my whole might, mind and strength to it. (8)
----------------------

-- 45 years ago today - Oct 11, 1976 --

Wendell J. Ashton, Managing Director of Public Communications for the Church, states in an interview: ". . . public communications is not a matter of reacting, but of taking the initiative in dealing with the public and particularly with the news media. So, since 1972 we've been trying to take the initiative in letting the world know the Mormon people for what they are and for what they stand. We now have approximately 1,000 people in church service as public communications coordinators and directors who are making contacts with the news media."

1 - BYU Studies Journal, volume 46, no. 4: A Chronology of the Life of Joseph Smith, http://byustudies.byu.edu
2 - The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database (http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase)]
3 - Jenson, Andrew, Church Chronology
4 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
5 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com
6 - Stan Larson (editor), A Ministry of Meetings: The Apostolic diaries of Rudger Clawson, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1993, http://bit.ly/rudgerclawson
7 - The Diaries of J. Reuben Clark, 1933-1961, Abridged, Digital Edition, Salt Lake City, Utah 2015
8 - The Diaries of J. Reuben Clark, 1933-1961, Abridged, Digital Edition, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2015, Appendix 2, The Diaries of Marion G. Romney, 1941-1961, Abridged