Today in Mormon History - Aug 10

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Aug 10, 2022, 12:01:09 PM8/10/22
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 180 years ago today - Aug 10, 1842 --
[Wilford Woodruff]
During my sickness there was some important things transpired in the Church. We received the word of the Lord Concerning the Elders of the Church (through Joseph the Seer). ... The instructions were for the Elders to confine themselves to the free States & mostly to New England & the canidas [and] not to go to any of the indians or Slave States. ...

There was a Counsel of the Twelve held for four days with Elder Orson Pratt to labour with him to get him to recall his sayings against Joseph & The Twelve [That Joseph Smith had propositioned Orson's wife Sarah] but he persisted in his wicked course & would not recall any of his sayings which were made in public against Joseph & others sayings which were unjust & untrue. The Twelve then rejected him as a member of their quorum & he was cut off /from the Church/. Dr John Cook Bennet [Assistant President of the church] was the ruin of Orson Pratt. /He was Cut off from the Church Aug 20, 1842.

/President Joseph Smith has been much persecuted of late by being hunted & sought for by Sheriffs & officers from Missouri & Illinoise by the orders of Governors Reynolds & Carlin under pretence of taking him to Missouri to try him for being accessary to the shooting of ex Gov Bogg. ... Joseph has presented the Church of late with some glorious principles from the Lord Concerning Baptism for the dead & other interesting Subjects. (1)
----------------------

-- 175 years ago today - Aug 10, 1847 --

William Clayton writes in his journal of the progress the pioneers have made since their arrival 18 days ago: "in addition to the plowing done week before last they have plowed about 30 acres which is mostly planted, making a total of about 80 acres. . . . the brethren are now making adobies, hawling logs &c. Elder [Henry] Sherwood continues surveying the City. [Thomas] Tanner and [Burr] Frost are setting wagon tire and have set 52 today. The brethren who went to the Lake on Monday to boil down salt have returned this evening and report that they have found a bed of beautiful salt ready to load onto wagons. It lays between two Sand bars and is about 6 inches thick. They suppose they can easily load ten wagons without boiling. I have received from Elder Kimball a pair of buckskin pants, as a present I suppose, but as I have on similar occasions been branded with the idea of receiving a great many kindnesses without consideration, I will for this once state a little particular on the other side of the question. I acknowledge that I have had the privilege of riding in a wagon and sleeping in it, of having my victual cooked, and some meat and milk, and occasionally a little tea or coffee furnished. My flour I furnished myself."
----------------------

-- 140 years ago today - Aug 10, 1882 --
[Wilford Woodruff]
I attended the Consert in the Tabernacle lighted with Electrict lights. I should think there were some 5,000 persons present. (1)

-- 15 years ago today - Aug 10, 2007 - 6 October 2007 --
[First Presidency Change]
Gordon B. Hinckley Thomas S. Monson, Death of James E. Faust (2)

1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
2 - Wikipedia, First Presidency (LDS Church), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Presidency_(LDS_Church)#Chronology_of_the_First_Presidency