Today in Mormon History - Oct 13

1 view

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Oct 13, 2021, 12:01:09 PM10/13/21
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 190 years ago today - Oct 13, 1831 --

The first attack by a Mormon apostate is published when Ezra Booth's letters to the Ohio Star are printed through Dec. 8. They are republished in the first anti-Mormon book, Mormonism Unvailed. Booth makes reference to the revelation on polygamy, and to the twelve unordained apostles of the church. (1)
----------------------

-- 150 years ago today - Oct 13, 1871 --
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff]
Meetings are held in the old Tabernacle & other places to Collect subscriptions for the suffers of the great fire in Chicago. President Brigham Young gave $1,000. D H Wells & Capt Hooper gave $500 each. D. H. Wells sent a Draft of $12,000 Dollars to the Mayor of Chicago. The outsiders also sent donations. All the United States are sending in their subscription for their relief. (2)
----------------------

-- 140 years ago today - Oct 13, 1881 --
[Heber J. Grant]
Last evening Apostle F. M. Lyman & I were in the Coop Office, for a few minutes. While there I had a talk with Hamilton G Park, he said among other things that he had heard a great many names mentioned to fill up the Quorum of the Twelve, but he would much sooner see me in the quorum than any one he had heard mentd. After he said this I told him what Bro Savage had said'He hoped Bro Savages words would come true. I told him had Charley Savage said 10 years instead of one, I might have had some faith in his remarks. (3)

-- 110 years ago today - Oct 13, 1911 - 7 December 1911 --
[1st Presidency Changes]
Joseph F. Smith Anthon H. Lund due to the Death of John Henry Smith (4)

1 - Quinn, D. Michael, The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power, Appendix 7: Selected Chronology of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-47, http://amzn.to/origins-power
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
3 - The Diaries of Heber J. Grant, 1880-1945, Abridged, Digital Edition Salt Lake City, Utah, 2015
4 - Wikipedia, First Presidency (LDS Church), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Presidency_(LDS_Church)#Chronology_of_the_First_Presidency