Today in Mormon History - Oct 04

1 view

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Oct 4, 2021, 12:01:32 PM10/4/21
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 170 years ago today - Oct 4, 1851 --

Brigham Young signs a law legalizing all laws passed previously by State of Deseret. He adjourns poorly attended meeting of the Council of Fifty and does not reconvene it for 15 years. He also signs a legislative act designating that Millard County be formed and that Fillmore City be the "seat of Government of the Territory." This is an attempt to curry favor with U.S. President Millard Fillmore as part of the quest to secure statehood for Utah.
----------------------

While in Salt Lake City, African American Elder Walker Lewis received his Patriarchal Blessing from Patriarch to the Church, John Smith (son of Hyrum Smith). He is declared of the “tribe of Canan” [Canaan]. (1)
----------------------

-- 150 years ago today - Oct 4, 1871 --
[Patriarchal Blessings]
[Patriarchal Blessing of future apostle Anthony W. Ivins given by William G. Perkins ... Thou are a chosen vessel of the Lord, and in due time you shall go to the nations afar off and preach the everlasting Gospel. Thou will have great power of speech. You will learn their language by the power of the Holy Ghost.... You will have power over the winds and waves of the sea. You will be tossed to and fro but by your word the sea will be calm. You will have an inheritance in Zion. You will assist in building up the New Jerusalem the city that shall be paved with pure gold. You will see that Holy Temple finished off and be there at the dedication There you will see your Redeemer, you will be caught up to meet him with his Holy Angels and return with them to His holy Temple. There you will see Joseph and Hyrum and many of the Latter day Saints with their resurrected bodies. ... It will be common with you to see the graves open and the dead come forth. You will witness the return of the Ten Tribes. ... And I seal you up to Eternal Life, and seal upon your head a crown of Celestial Glory. This I do in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen (2)
----------------------

[Wilford Woodruff]
In the Evening I Called upon Presidet Young & found him very feeble. GA. Smith D H Wells G Q Cannon & myself Anointed Presidet Young from the Crown of his head to the Soles of his feet & Blessed him & he was Much Better. (3)
----------------------

-- 140 years ago today - Tuesday, Oct 4, 1881 --

Salt Lake City Hall

10 a.m. The C[ouncil] of 50 met at the City Hall. It took a great deal of labor to get the number necessary to form a quorum but we finally succeeded. We meet again at 2 p.m. and several committees reported and then we adjourned until the 4 of April, 1882 at 10 a.m. (4)
----------------------

-- 125 years ago today - Oct 4, 1896 --

President Wilford Woodruff preaches in general conference: "The God of heaven knows what it will cost them for shedding the blood of the Prophet of God and his brother, and the Apostles and brethren who laid down their lives for the word of God and testimony of Jesus Christ. It costs something to shed righteous blood. And the Gentiles have not got eighteen hundred years before them in which to pay the debt. The words of the Lord have got to be fulfilled upon them in the day and generation in which these holy men have been slain."
----------------------

-- 110 years ago today - Wednesday, Oct 4, 1911 --
[John Henry Smith]
We agreed to let the question of Prohibition alone for a while and try Local Option.

We were instructed to do no radical thing during Conference. All were to preach the Gospel. (5)
----------------------

-- 75 years ago today - Oct 4, 1946 --
[J. Reuben Clark]
Called Ivor Sharp and told him he had talked with Pres. Smith and told him that it cost KSL over $500 last time for running over and (he was sure that did not cover the over-head and operating expenses) and Pres. Smith said he did not see there was anything to do except cut it off the air on the hour. Bro. Sharp said he would cut it off unless someone was speaking that he thought should be left on, such as the First Presidency Sunday afternoon. (6)
----------------------

-- 60 years ago today - Oct 4, 1961 --

The first meeting of the All-Church Coordinating Council, the Correlation Program's administrative organization for restructuring "almost every program and organization in the Church," according to Harold B. Lee's biographer. This council continues at LDS headquarters to today. (7)
----------------------

-- 35 years ago today - Oct 4, 1986 --

Seventies quorums discontinued in stakes; seventies could meet with either the Elders Quorum or the High Priests group. (8)
----------------------

At priesthood session of General Conference, President Ezra Taft Benson announces that "the seventies quorums in the stakes of the Church are to be discontinued." Soon church's only Seventies (at one time the largest body of priesthood in the church) are general authorities who have been ordained High Priests.

1 - Patriarch Blessings Books in LDS Church Archives, Vol. 11, p. 326, Patriarchal Blessings Book, referenced in LDS (or related) Documents on Walker Lewis, the Lowell, Mass. Branch of the Mormon Church and its missionaries and members, and the Priesthood Ban against Blacks, Compiled by Connell O'Donovan, http://people.ucsc.edu/~odonovan/Mormon_Chronology.html
2 - Patriarchal Blessings
3 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
4 - John Henry Smith diary, as quoted in Jedediah S. Rogers (editor), The Council of Fifty: A Documentary History, Signature Books (2014)
5 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith
6 - The Diaries of J. Reuben Clark, 1933-1961, Abridged, Digital Edition, Salt Lake City, Utah 2015
7 - The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database (http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase)]
8 - Correlation Timeline, Compiled by Lisle Brown