Today in Mormon History - Jul 01

RSS Feed via IFTTT

Jul 1, 2024, 12:19:20 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to cla...@gmail.com
On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 180 years ago today - 1844 1 Jul. --

Richards, Taylor, and W. W. Phelps announce they will await the return of the Quorum of Twelve before deciding the nature of the church's new leadership [after the death of Joseph Smith]. (1)
----------------------

-- 180 years ago today - Jul 1, 1844 --
[Joseph Smith nomination for President - Heber C. Kimball diary]
A convention fore the perpus of chusen delagats fore [at]tending the Baltimore Convention [to nominate Joseph Smith for president on the Mormon ticket]. Elder B. Young was called to the Chare [chair]. The first cald on to speak was L. Wight, 2 was O. Hide, 3 Daniel Spencer,12 4 Wm. Smith, delagats chosen. At Half past 2 in the after noon, sevrel speeches from the Br. The meting well tended. ...

[Note: Heber C. Kimball, Brigham Young and other apostles attending this convention were unaware of the assassination of Joseph Smith] (2)
----------------------

[Nauvoo City Council]
Resolved. For the purpose of ensuring peace and promoting the welfare of the County of Hancock and surrounding country, that we will rigidly sustain the laws and the Governor of the State so long as they and he, sustain us in all our constitutional rights.

...Resolved ... To further secure the peace, friendship and happiness of the people, and allay the excitement that now exists, that no we will reprobate private revenge on the assassinators of General Joseph Smith and General Hyrum Smith shall be made by any of the Latter Day Saints. That instead of an appeal to arms, we appeal to the majesty of the law, and will be content with whatever judgement it shall award. and should the law fail, we leave the matter with God. ... (3)
----------------------

-- 140 years ago today - Jul 1, 1884 --
[Brigham Young Jr.]
Council met decided or it has been decided to incorporate under the law to hold our Temples. My mind is to keep our temples in our own hands and continue them as heretofore for the ordinances of the priesthood endowments etc and with the help of God maintain them inviolate if the whole U.S. backs the lawless spoilation of our enemies. (4)
----------------------

-- 135 years ago today - Monday, Jul 1, 1889 --
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary]
.... All of the [Greenville] ward authorities were presented to the people and sustained. Bp. Morris confessed he had been intoxicated and was forgiven. (5)
----------------------

-- 85 years ago today - Jul 1, 1939 --

Nazi Gestapo arrests two American LDS missionaries in Czechoslovakia and put them and two other missionaries into prison. Not released until Aug. 23. (6)
----------------------

-- 65 years ago today - Wed Jul 1, 1959 --
[David O. McKay Office Journal]
I was greatly surprised to learn through my secretary . . . that Brother Nicholas G. Morgan, Sr., who employed Brother Ortho Fairbanks to do this bust of me, intends to have twelve busts finished in white Italian marble and one placed in each of the Temples of the Church. Of course, I feel very reluctant about this being done, but it seems that I shall have nothing to say about it as Brother Morgan, with the endorsement of President Henry D. Moyle, has already gone ahead with arrangements for this to be done. (7)
----------------------

-- 35 years ago today - Jul 01, 1989 --

Rex E. Lee begins his term as the tenth president of BYU (1989-95). (8)
----------------------

1 - Quinn, D. Michael, The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power, Appendix 7: Selected Chronology of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-47, http://amzn.to/origins-power
2 - Kimball, Stanley B. ed, On the Potter's Wheel: The Diaries of Heber C. Kimball
3 - Nauvoo City Council Rough Book, http://amzn.to/uXAcJh%20
4 - Brigham Young Jr. Diary, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1910-1951, Privately Published, Salt Lake City, Utah 2010
5 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith
6 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com, based on Michael Quinn's Mormon Hierarchy vols 1 & 2
7 - McKay, David O., Office Journal
8 - The Woodland Institute 'On This Day Historical Database' (defunct)

via todayinmormonhistory-email https://ift.tt/Nw0HUd2
RSS Feed

Manage

Unsubscribe from these notifications or sign in to manage your Email service.

IFTTT
IFTTT Pro: Seriously powerful tools for creators