Today in Mormon History - Oct 05

1 view

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Oct 5, 2021, 12:01:13 PM10/5/21
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 165 years ago today - Oct 05, 1856 --

President Brigham Young organizes the effort to rescue the Martin and Willie handcart companies, both of which are still east of South Pass in Wyoming.
----------------------

-- 165 years ago today - Oct 5, 1856 --
[Wilford Woodruff]
At the Close of the meeting we repaired to the prayer Circle had prayers then we went unto the Font & President Brigham Young went down into the Font of water & baptized men women & children of his own family about 75 in number. Then President Heber C. Kimball went down into the water & baptized about 75 mostly of his family. Some were of my Family & others of the Twelve. Then Lorenzo Young went into the water & baptized about 25 persons making 175 persons all of which were confirmed under the Hands of H. C. Kimball J. M. Grant W. Woodruff Joseph Young J. Vancott & D. H. Wells Confirmed a few of the Last. (1)
----------------------

-- 160 years ago today - Oct 5, 1861 --
[Brigham Young]
The Pres[ident] remarked he liked a woman to live with her husband as long as she could bear with him and if her life became too burdensome then leave and get a divorce. He observed with the exceptions of a little scripture upon the subject of divorces, he was not aware the Lord had given any special revelations upon the Subject of divorces. -- Salt Lake City (2)
----------------------

-- 125 years ago today - Oct 5, 1896 --

Pres[ident] [Wilford] Woodruff then spoke 'As President of this Church it becomes my duty to speak of a man who has held a high position among the Authorities.['] Stated that Moses Thatcher had not been in accord with this quorum since the death of Pres[ident] John Taylor. Had not acted with his quorum and had missed meetings when he was perfectly able to attend. [']Brother Thatcher has not been with us in his testimony and the doctrines he preached.' &c. Apostles [Lorenzo] Snow, John Henry Smith, Brigham Young [Jr.], Heber Grant, George Teasdale, and Pres[ident] Jos[eph]. F. Smith corroborated all that had been said, and made further statements regarding Bro[ther] Thatcher not being united with his quorum. It was sensational, and the people sat like statues, yet to all outward appearance the people sustained the Authorities in their position. The Brethren were disposed to give more time until Moses recovered his health; or at least got better. It was a great object lesson for me, and one I hope I will never forget. I offered the benediction. (3)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Oct 5, 1901 --
[Abtaham O. Woodruff]
Pres[iden]t. [Lorenzo] Snow's selection of Bro[ther]. [Rudger] Clawson was a great surprise to all. He is a good humble and capable man. I am impressed that Pres[iden]t. Jos[eph]. F. Smith will not choose Bro[ther]. Clawson as one of his Coucillors. (4)
----------------------

-- 75 years ago today - Oct 5, 1946 --

First counselor J. Reuben Clark's conference talk condemns the United States for helping Britain kill 250,000 German civilians in the two-day bombing of Dresden. "As the crowning savagery of the war we Americans wiped out hundreds of thousands" of Japanese civilians with two atomic bombs. "This fiendish butchery" by U.S. nuclear weapons was "wholesale destruction of men, women, and children, and cripples." Still director of the national pacifist organization, Clark continues to be a focus of the federal government's anti-subversive agencies because of his public statements against the U.S. participation in World War II, against providing military aid to anti-Communist forces in civil wars of various countries, and against U.S. participation in the anti-Soviet North Atlantic Treaty Organziation (NATO). (5)
----------------------

-- 60 years ago today - Oct 05, 1961 --

Gordon B. Hinckley is ordained an Apostle, replacing Hugh B. Brown, who had been called to the First Presidency.
----------------------

-- 35 years ago today - Oct 5, 1986 --

The First Presidency released a statement indicating that the Church is opposed to the legalization of gambling and government-sponsored lotteries. (6)

-- 30 years ago today - Oct 5, 1991 --

Newspaper reports that general authorities have ordered BYU administrators and local church leaders to discipline BYU professor D. Michael Quinn for giving a lecture at a recent Sunstone Symposium. Persons are dropped from LDS positions and threatened with excommunication for questioning the wisdom or necessity of the official declaration against symposia. (5)

1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
2 - Brigham Young Office Journals, in The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses
3 - J. Golden Kimball, Diary, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015
4 - Abraham Owen Woodruff, Diary, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1835-1951, Electronic Edition, 2015
5 - The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database (http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase)]
6 - LDS Daily, www.ldsdaily.com