Today in Mormon History - Oct 06

1 view

h...@mail2.bigplanet.com

Oct 6, 2021, 12:01:09 PM10/6/21
to today-in-ch...@googlegroups.com

On this day in Mormon History
http://TodayInMormonHistory.com/

-- 170 years ago today - Oct 6, 1851 --
[Brigham Young]
The word of wisdom was given in kirtland 20 years ago for the benefit of all Saints. When we live 20 or 50 years longer we shall see that we do not understand much of the word of wisdom.... We are forbidden to use meat in hot weather. Hot drinks & tobaco is not good for man. You should not eat to overload your stomach. Their is a greater lack in my system of wisdom of tempering my food & Exercise than in Eating meat or tobaco... So with tea Coffee & sugar. You must raise & make it or go without it. . (1)
----------------------

-- 165 years ago today - Oct 6, 1856 --
Pres. Brigham Young stated that the Semi-annual Conference was now open, and that the first business was to forthwith start assistance to those now on the plains [Willie & Martin companies]. Called upon those who were willing to go, or send teams, to come to the stand and report; saying that if there were not enough teams; teamsters etc., volunteered, he would close the conference, and, with Br. Kimball, start back to help those companies. [Pres. Kimball remarked, It is moved and seconded that Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball and Jedediah M. Grant go back to help the P.E. Fund Emigrants. Unanimously negative] Pres. B. Young spoke upon the necessity of a reformation among the Saints. -- SLC Bowery (2)
----------------------

President Young then said I wish to Fullfill the promise which I made 2 weeks ago. I then told the people or the females that I would release them at Conference. I will do so on certain conditions & that is that you will appear forthwith at my office & give good & sufficient reasons & then marry men that will not have but one wife. (1)
----------------------

-- 160 years ago today - Oct 6, 1861 • Sunday --
[George Q. Cannon]
The usual day for holding our semi-annual Conference. We held the Conference in the Temperance Hall which our people hired for the occasion. As an instance of the change of feeling that has taken place in this place I may mention that efforts have been made in past times to get this Hall to hold meetings in and as much as £3 have been offered for its use for one day; but without avail. For this day’s use we have to pay only 15/-, and yet there has been no change in the owners. The choir sang beautifully in both Welsh and English. (3)
----------------------

-- 130 years ago today - Oct 6, 1891 --
Refutation of Utah Commission report on plural marriages... DECLARATION by the First Presidency of the Church.

Concerning the official report of the Utah Commission made to the Secretary of the Interior, in which they allege, "During the past year, notwithstanding the 'manifesto,' reports have been received by the Commission of eighteen male persons who, with an equal number of females, are believed to have entered into polygamous marriages, during the year," we have to say, it is utterly without foundation in truth. We repeat in the most solemn manner the declaration made by President Wilford Woodruff at our General Conference held last October, that there have been no plural marriages solemnized during the period named.

Polygamy or plural marriage has not been taught, neither has there been given permission to any person to enter into its practice, but on the contrary, it has been strictly forbidden.

WILFORD WOODRUFF, GEORGE Q. CANNON, JOSEPH F. SMITH, First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (4)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Oct 6, 1901 --

When counselor Joseph F. Smith stands to open conference, a stake president writes: "I looked at him and he appeared to me to be Prest. Snow, and I looked several times and each time he appeared like that." (5)
----------------------

-- 120 years ago today - Oct 6, 1901 - 10 October 1901 --

Lorenzo Snow Joseph F. Smith Rudger Clawson Joseph F. Smith called as First Counselor; Rudger Clawson called as Second Counselor. NOTE: These counselors were sustained but not set apart due to the death of Snow 4 days later (6)
----------------------

-- 75 years ago today - Oct 6,1946 --

Public release of Joseph Fielding Smith (b. 1899) as Patriarch to Church due to "ill health" but actually due to discovery of his recent homosexual activity. (7)
----------------------

-- 40 years ago today - Oct 6, 1981 --

“The ultimate test of a true prophet is when he speaks in the name of the Lord, his words come to pass” (8)

1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
2 - The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses
3 - The Journal of George Q. Cannon, 1855–1875, Church Historian's Press, 2016, https://churchhistorianspress.org/george-q-cannon
4 - 1891-October 6-Deseret News Weekly 43:507-508, in Clark, James R., Messages of the First Presidency (6 volumes)
5 - The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database (http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase)]
6 - Wikipedia, First Presidency (LDS Church), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Presidency_(LDS_Church)#Chronology_of_the_First_Presidency
7 - Quinn, D. Michael, The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power, Appendix 5, Selected Chronology of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1848-1996, http://amzn.to/extensions-power
8 - President Ezra Taft Benson, Deseret News, October 6, 1981, p. 6, as quoted in The Last Days and December 1890 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ, y George D. Speer Sr., privately circulated