ToCollege on Grails

jaga

Nov 9, 2009, 7:19:09 AM11/9/09
to ToCollege-net
Hi,

I wondered whether a more up to date implementation of this web site
could be achieved using the Groovy on Grails. Is it worth it to port
the Spring MVC portion to Grails?

Jaga

jdwy

Nov 9, 2009, 2:26:35 PM11/9/09
to ToCollege-net
Hi Jaga,
Sounds like a great fork ;) Yeah, I think that if I were to do it
again today it would definitely be grails. Right now I'm a little out
of the Java loop bc my day job is all Ruby on Rails, but I think
dynamic languages are great for webapps. Feel free to fork the
project. If you make progress converting to Grails I'd definitely pull
that back into master.
-Jeff

jaga

Nov 13, 2009, 10:54:55 AM11/13/09
to ToCollege-net
There is also Roo. Perhaps this is an better option, since it is
directly compatible with Spring. It uses Spring 3.0 however. I think
I'll start by porting the code straight to my app.
I have a GWT prototype, which I will integrate into a framework to
take advantage of its features and maturity. For example, I need
Security, Web search optimisation, User session persistence.
I think the incubation stuff for GWT which implements various Design
Patterns isn't suitable for me.

Thanks,
Jaga

jdwy

Nov 13, 2009, 11:01:26 AM11/13/09
to ToCollege-net
Yeah, I haven't had much of a chance to investigate Roo. Afaict it's
not really anything too new, just a lot of wrapping together of
existing tech. Not that that's a bad thing at all of course! It sounds
like a legitimate way to get the server end going, but from what I can
tell you'll be on your own getting GWT to play with it. Shouldn't be
too bad...