How do I add new schools ?

sidni

Jul 12, 2009, 1:10:26 AM7/12/09
to ToCollege-net
Hi,

I've downloaded the source code and on running it, the application is
launched successfully but upon reaching "MyList", each tab in it is
empty. "My Rankings" do have an Add School text box but its button is
disabled.

So, I really dont know how would anyone add any applications/school
for any logged in User and I think this is what ToCollege application
is all about.

Kindly note, this concern has been raised in this forum earlier too,
but wasnt solved. If anyone really knows how to get this of the
ground, do let me know.

10x,
Nitesh

jdwy

Jul 12, 2009, 11:51:25 AM7/12/09
to ToCollege-net
Hey Nitesh,

Dangit I'm seeing this now as well. It doesn't seem like requests are
getting sent out on keypresses within the autocomplete. Broken in an
upgrade to GWT 1.5.3? I wonder. But yeah, afaict no requests are being
sent from the browser. Change in event processing? The autocomplete
doesn't seem to fire..

Worse, something seems hosed with GWT on my box, so I'm having
difficulty using Eclipse to diagnose the problem.
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/75889f5abe7a17d2/7a3748012805394b

I'll try to give it another shot soon, but I don't have a lot of time
for debugging GWT stuff this month. Baby on the way :0

-Jeff

Conrad Akier

Jul 12, 2009, 12:17:14 PM7/12/09
to tocoll...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Does re-indexing the compass search fix the issue for you? When the
autocomplete hasn't worked for me, that's what has fixed it.

Give that a shot by logging in as test/testaroo, click on Settings,
and then the re-index link.

I noticed that when the autocomplete wasn't working for me, the server
was still getting requests from the client for schools matching the
string I had typed into the autocomplete box, yet nothing was being
found.

I have my project using GWT 1.6.4, but I don't remember modifying
anything having to do with the My List functionality.

> I'll try to give it another shot soon, but I don't have a lot of time
> for debugging GWT stuff this month. Baby on the way :0

Congrats Jeff! Sounds like you're preparing your entry into the pro
baby development 2.0 genre. ;)

Regards,
-Conrad

jdwy

Jul 13, 2009, 8:37:10 AM7/13/09
to ToCollege-net
Hey Conrad,
That's a great point too. I'd totally forgotten that the autocomplete
is hooked up to search. Sigh, I should go read the book again. Too
much Ruby on Rails has made me forget a lot of this.
-Jeff

sidni

Jul 13, 2009, 9:44:41 AM7/13/09
to ToCollege-net
Hi All,

As pointed out by Conrad, I suppose that Search would only work when
we had Re-Indexed Compass. So, I've done that and my Search is working
fine.
But, Add School is still non-functional. Its button too is "disabled".
Let me know if anyone finds its solution. Im working my way to
understand it too.

BTW Jeff, congrats & gl for ur baby.

Regards
Nitesh
> > -Conrad- Hide quoted text -

sidni

Jul 24, 2009, 2:16:45 AM7/24/09
to ToCollege-net
During code walkthrough, I had observed that suggestions (in the form
of String) come from Gears Client DB, but Im not sure how its really
works or is configured. Can our issue be related to it ?

jdwy

Jul 24, 2009, 9:21:24 AM7/24/09
to ToCollege-net
It's true that the suggest box can be backed by gears. See
http://github.com/jdwyah/tocollege.net/blob/f97ed4ff3f31c1c463eb426c34a55de439c601b3/src/main/java/com/apress/progwt/client/college/ServiceCache.java

You should be able to see if it's trying to use gears in the log,
either "Creating Empty Client DB" or "Gears is installed: true"

If you want to take Gears out of the equation, you could edit this
constructor to only create an EmptyClientDB and not try Gears.

All of this is moot if the requests aren't getting to the
ServiceCache
public void matchSchool(final String query,
final AsyncCallback<List<String>> origCallback) {

method.

Can you put a debugger/log in there to see whether this method is
getting called? If this method isn't getting called, the problem
happens before gears enters the equation.

-Jeff

sidni

Jul 26, 2009, 2:20:15 AM7/26/09
to ToCollege-net

Hi Jeff,

I need to clarify some doubt regarding Debugging logs:

1) I always run commands specified in "run_jetty_gwt" i.e.

mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true -Dmaven.compiler.gwt.skip=true
package
mvn -Dwebdir=target/ProGWT-1.0-SNAPSHOT jetty:run

to bring ToCollege.net on my PC (localhost) with GWT code.

Now, I observed that apache logs were not populated on the
console (windows cmd prompt) for GWT code.
The only log that appears is Non-GWT.
Why is it so ? and How will I get GWT logs to appear?
Since Im not getting any GWT logs, I really cant check which part of
it is causing problem.

2) I then tried to run "ToCollege-CollegeApp.launch" only to bring up
CollegeApp part of ToCollege.net. This opens it in hosted mode, but
this throws below exception
" com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.InvocationException: Unable to
initiate the asynchronous service invocation -- check the network
connection Unable to initiate the asynchronous service invocation --
check the network connection"

Does this launch file works for u, I mean including the rpc part ?

3) There is a portion in book --> Appendix --> Integrating Maven and
GWT compilation.
Let me make it clear that I havent done this part on my downloaded
ProGWT code. Does it affect running GWT code, I really dont know,
probablu u can clarify.

Currently I've tried executed 3 steps in separate directory (from my
ProGwt code), but when I execute commands in "run_jetty_gwt.bat", it
gets stuck, see below portion, how can we make this work.

C:\java_progs\ProGWT>mvn -Dwebdir=target/ProGWT-1.0-SNAPSHOT jetty:run
Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 4003
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'jetty'.
[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from tocollege
[INFO] org.codehaus.mojo: checking for updates from tocollege
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Unnamed - com.apress.progwt:ProGWT:war:1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] task-segment: [jetty:run]
[INFO]
[INFO] Preparing jetty:run
[INFO] [resources:resources]
Downloading: http://s3.amazonaws.com/maven.springframework.org/milestone/com/ibm
/icu/icu4j/3.4.1/icu4j-3.4.1.pom
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/ibm/icu/icu4j/3.4.1/icu4j-3.4.1.p
om
Downloading: http://s3.amazonaws.com/maven.springframework.org/milestone/xml-api
s/xml-apis/1.3.0/xml-apis-1.3.0.pom
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/xml-apis/xml-apis/1.3.0/xml-apis-1.3.
0.pom
[WARNING] While downloading xml-apis:xml-apis:2.0.2
This artifact has been relocated to xml-apis:xml-apis:1.0.b2.

[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO] [xi8ix-gwtc:gwtc {execution: default}]

I'm really having hard time runing GWT portion of ToCollege, do
clarify these doubts and if u feel I'm missing some basic knowledge
regarding its compilation/maven-gwt excution then do specify.

10x
Nitesh

On Jul 24, 6:21 pm, jdwy <jdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's true that the suggest box can be backed by gears. Seehttp://github.com/jdwyah/tocollege.net/blob/f97ed4ff3f31c1c463eb426c3...

jdwy

Jul 28, 2009, 1:28:25 PM7/28/09
to ToCollege-net
Hey Nitesh,

Getting GWT logging is definitely important. Let's see if we can get
you going. It'll make you very happy!

There's 2 modes to develop in:

1) ./run_jetty AND ToCollege.launch

This is what you should be doing 95% of the time. You'll get GWT
logging in the GWT launch window and you'll get server side logging in
the command line. You can't just run ToCollege.launch, because that
doesn't start a server. That's probably the error you're getting.

So run ./run_jetty and once that server is going, do the
ToCollege.launch.

2) ./run_jetty_gwt
This is what you're doing now. It does a full compile of everything
which means you browse html and js pages. This is good for testing the
final output of everything for browser testing, but it's slow because
you always need to recompile, and, as you noted, you can't debug GWT
code this way.

Let me know if you already tried both of the parts of type 1) and are
still getting the Unable to initiate the asynchronous service
invocation error.

-Jeff
> Downloading:http://s3.amazonaws.com/maven.springframework.org/milestone/com/ibm/i...

sidni

Aug 6, 2009, 11:44:33 AM8/6/09
to ToCollege-net
Hey Jeff,

Regarding the options u said, read below:

1. Ran ./run_jetty and "ToCollege-CollegeApp.launch"

There isnt any file "ToCollege.launch" as u specified.

For this, Im still getting "GWT InvocationException" as specified in
my previous post.

See below logs, if it helps:

GWT logs

============= gwt-log-1.5.6 =============Thu Aug 06 20:49:56 IST
2009=============
[INFO] STARTING WIDGETMyPage
[INFO] Gears is installed: true
[DEBUG] ZoomableTimeline.initYSlots(true)
[DEBUG] SetBackground: tl_month::ZoomableTL ZoomableTL-tl_month
[DEBUG] GUI: 3.172
[DEBUG] StatusPanel.UPDATE 0 Get User Send
[WARN] Get User failed!
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.InvocationException: Unable to initiate
the asynchronous service invocation -- check the network connection
Unable to initiate the asynchronous service invocation -- check the
network connection
[DEBUG] StatusPanel.UPDATE 0 Get User Fail
[DEBUG] CREATING LoginWindow
[WARN] LocalServer exception:
com.google.gwt.gears.core.client.GearsException: (SyntaxError): Url is
not from the same origin
[WARN] number: -2146827287
[WARN] description: Url is not from the same origin
[DEBUG] submit to http://localhost:8080/j_acegi_security_check?gwt=true
[DEBUG] submit event results OK
[ERROR] ToCollegeApp.setmeupFailure
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.InvocationException: Unable to initiate
the asynchronous service invocation -- check the network connection
[INFO] school MISS s
[WARN] EZCall failed!
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.InvocationException: Unable to initiate
the asynchronous service invocation -- check the network connection
Unable to initiate the asynchronous service invocation -- check the
network connection
[INFO] school MISS st
[WARN] EZCall failed!
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.InvocationException: Unable to initiate
the asynchronous service invocation -- check the network connection
Unable to initiate the asynchronous service invocation -- check the
network connection

Console Logs:

[INFO] Started Jetty Server
[INFO] Starting scanner at interval of 9999 seconds.
(136453 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.filters.GWTExtendeduthenticationProcessingFilter#doFilterHttp :
Request is to process authenticatin
(136578 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.dao.hibernate.UserDAOHiernateImpl#loadUserByUsername :
here
(138000 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.dao.hibernate.UserDAOHiernateImpl#loadUserByUsername :
Found 1 users for username test
(138000 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.dao.hibernate.UserDAOHiernateImpl#loadUserByUsername :
load user success |1:test|
(138047 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.domain.ServerSideUser#gtAuthorities : adding
supervisor permissions
(138094 ms) [btpool0-1] WARN :
org.springframework.security.event.authenticatio.LoggerListener#onApplicationEvent :
Authentication event AuthenticationSuccessvent: test; details:
org.springframework.security.ui.WebAuthenticationDetails@ffe3f86:
RemoteIpAddress: 127.0.0.1; SessionId: myj1fuoo9s75
(138109 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.filters.GWTExtendeduthenticationProcessingFilter#successfulAuthentication :
Authentication success
org.springframework.security.providers.UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken@bb0b311:
Principal: com.apress.progwt.server.domain.ServerSideUser@19cfc59;
Passwod: [PROTECTED]; Authenticated: true; Details:
org.springframework.security.ui.WbAuthenticationDetails@fffe3f86:
RemoteIpAddress: 127.0.0.1; SessionId: myj1fuo9s75; Granted
Authorities: com.apress.progwt.server.domain.ServerSideUser
$MyAutority@13ef269
(138140 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.filters.GWTExtendeduthenticationProcessingFilter#successfulAuthentication :
Updated SecurityContexHolder to contain the following Authentication:
'org.springframework.security.poviders.UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken@bb08b311:
Principal: com.apress.prowt.server.domain.ServerSideUser@19cfc59;
Password: [PROTECTED]; Authenticated:rue; Details:
org.springframework.security.ui.WebAuthenticationDetails@fffe3f86
RemoteIpAddress: 127.0.0.1; SessionId: myj1fuoo9s75; Granted
Authorities: com.press.progwt.server.domain.ServerSideUser
$MyAuthority@13ef269'
(138156 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.filters.GWTExtendeduthenticationProcessingFilter#successfulAuthentication :
Redirecting to targetRL from HTTP Session (or default): /secure/
gwtLoginOK.html
(138219 ms) [btpool0-1] WARN :
org.springframework.security.event.authenticatio.LoggerListener#onApplicationEvent :
Authentication event InteractiveAuthenticaionSuccessEvent: test;
details:
org.springframework.security.ui.WebAuthenticatinDetails@fffe3f86:
RemoteIpAddress: 127.0.0.1; SessionId: myj1fuoo9s75
(208265 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.controllers.IndexCotroller#handleRequestInternal :
SERVLET PATH: /index.html null null
(225500 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.filters.GWTExtendeduthenticationProcessingFilter#doFilterHttp :
Request is to process authenticatin
(225500 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.domain.ServerSideUser#gtAuthorities : adding
supervisor permissions
(225500 ms) [btpool0-1] WARN :
org.springframework.security.event.authenticatio.LoggerListener#onApplicationEvent :
Authentication event AuthenticationSuccessvent: test; details:
org.springframework.security.ui.WebAuthenticationDetails@30f4:
RemoteIpAddress: 127.0.0.1; SessionId: 1s26p2hjc4m39
(225500 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
org.springframework.security.providers.UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken@4580bb0:
Principal: com.apress.progwt.server.domain.ServerSideUser@19cfc59;
Passwod: [PROTECTED]; Authenticated: true; Details:
org.springframework.security.ui.WbAuthenticationDetails@380f4:
RemoteIpAddress: 127.0.0.1; SessionId: 1s26p2hjc439; Granted
Authorities: com.apress.progwt.server.domain.ServerSideUser
$MyAuthoity@46f5ba
(225500 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
'org.springframework.security.poviders.UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken@458d0bb0:
Principal: com.apress.prowt.server.domain.ServerSideUser@19cfc59;
Password: [PROTECTED]; Authenticated:rue; Details:
org.springframework.security.ui.WebAuthenticationDetails@380f4:
RmoteIpAddress: 127.0.0.1; SessionId: 1s26p2hjc4m39; Granted
Authorities: com.apess.progwt.server.domain.ServerSideUser
$MyAuthority@46f5ba'
(225515 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.filters.GWTExtendeduthenticationProcessingFilter#successfulAuthentication :
Redirecting to targetRL from HTTP Session (or default): /secure/
myList.html
(225515 ms) [btpool0-1] WARN :
org.springframework.security.ui.WebAuthenticatinDetails@380f4:
RemoteIpAddress: 127.0.0.1; SessionId: 1s26p2hjc4m39
(225515 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.controllers.MyListCntroller#handleRequestInternal :
SERVLET PATH: /secure/myList.html null null
(227250 ms) [btpool0-1] INFO :
com.apress.progwt.server.web.servlet.FileServletdoGet : File not
found: C:\java_progs\ProGWT\src\main\webapp
\com.apress.progwt.nteractive
\com.apress.progwt.Interactive.nocache.js2009-08-06
20:51:49.415:/:INFO: fileServlet: File not found: C:\java_progs\ProWT
\src\main\webapp\com.apress.progwt.Interactive
\com.apress.progwt.Interactive.nocache.js
(227265 ms) [btpool0-1] ERROR:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.controllers.ErrorController#handleRequestInternal :ErrorController
reqServ /servletErrorView.html PathInfo:null Param:
java.util.Cllections$1@174b96c Q: code=404</>
(234250 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.service.impl.SearchServceImpl#search : -----
null--------|1:test|-----got search
com.apress.progwt.client.domain.dto.SearchResult@d084e6
(241140 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.service.impl.SearchServceImpl#search : -----
stan*--------|1:test|-----
(241953 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.service.impl.SearchServceImpl#getHits :
Search stan* alias {school} hits 1
(241969 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.service.impl.SearchServceImpl#getHits :
Search stan* alias {schoolforumpost,userforumpost} hits 0
(241969 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.service.impl.SearchServceImpl#addHitsToRes :
Found: com.apress.progwt.client.domain.dto.SearchResult@b11b1got
search com.apress.progwt.client.domain.dto.SearchResult@bd11b1

(245765 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
com.apress.progwt.server.web.controllers.IndexCotroller#handleRequestInternal :
SERVLET PATH: /index.html null null
2009-08-06 20:57:10.065::INFO: Shutdown hook executing
2009-08-06 20:57:11.721:/:INFO: Destroying Spring FrameworkServlet
'dispatcher

2009-08-06 20:57:11.878:/:INFO: Closing Spring root
WebApplicationContext
2009-08-06 20:57:12.487::INFO: Shutdown hook complete

So, now the main thing for me is to make "ToCollege-CollegeApp.Launch"
connect to the server, but how I dont know.
Kindly suggest further.

Regards
Nitesh

Jeff Dwyer

Aug 6, 2009, 2:48:03 PM8/6/09
to tocoll...@googlegroups.com
ToCollege.launch

I mean the launch profile in eclipse. It should be under Run -> Run
Configurations
ToCollege-CollegeApp
Then hit "Run"

Are you doing that?

-Jeff

sidni

Aug 8, 2009, 1:38:14 AM8/8/09
to ToCollege-net
Yes, Im doing the same thing.

I still wonder that initial GWT login window successfully connects to
Acegi and validates the user which means our GWT client interacts
with server thru RPC but not sure why then it throws rpc connection
error for School Suggest box.

-Nitesh

On Aug 6, 11:48 pm, Jeff Dwyer <jdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > $MyAuthoity@46f5ba
> > (225500 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
> > com.apress.progwt.server.web.filters.GWTExtendeduthenticationProcessingFilt­er
> > #successfulAuthentication :
> > Updated SecurityContexHolder to contain the following Authentication:
> > 'org
> > .springframework
> > .security.poviders.UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken@458d0bb0:
> > Principal: com.apress.prowt.server.domain.ServerSideUser@19cfc59;
> > Password: [PROTECTED]; Authenticated:rue; Details:
> > org.springframework.security.ui.WebAuthenticationDetails@380f4:
> > RmoteIpAddress: 127.0.0.1; SessionId: 1s26p2hjc4m39; Granted
> > Authorities: com.apess.progwt.server.domain.ServerSideUser
> > $MyAuthority@46f5ba'
> > (225515 ms) [btpool0-1] DEBUG:
> > com.apress.progwt.server.web.filters.GWTExtendeduthenticationProcessingFilt­er

sidni

Aug 13, 2009, 6:36:56 AM8/13/09
to ToCollege-net
Hey Jeff,

Any idea why my ToCollge.launch isnt interacting with Server.
As I pointed out in my previous post, does GWT login interact with
server ? Bcoz if it does, then it passes but Why My List is not able
to connect.

. ./run_jetty & ToCollege.launch

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

sidni

Aug 14, 2009, 11:39:47 AM8/14/09
to ToCollege-net
Do let me know one thing more:

1). How do u create different *.launch files for GWT components such
as (ToCollege-CollegeApp.launch, ToCollege-Forum.launch etc..)

These .launch files are created when one use "applicationCreator"
utility of GWT to create its initial Application, so I need to know
how r they created in To-College source code bcoz I see some
variations within diff .launch files.

10x
Nitesh

Jeff Dwyer

Aug 14, 2009, 4:18:25 PM8/14/09
to tocoll...@googlegroups.com
I don't user the applicationCreator.

I just go into the Run -> Configurations dialog and create new ones
manually. It's not too tough and it's good to know how they work.

-Jeff

sidni

Aug 25, 2009, 10:42:51 AM8/25/09
to ToCollege-net
Hey Jeff,

Im running out of ideas now, any solutions for me.
Though Im curious how these *.launch files find out their RPC
services. Since all of them for me are throwing RPC invocation
problem, do I need to verify on it.

10x
Nitesh