Re: trailer boards

MrCheerful

Aug 15, 2017, 4:26:38 PM8/15/17
On 15/08/2017 21:11, Chris Whelan wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> To answer a few replies in one go:
>> I reversed the trailer and it jack-knifed into the wall. Any tips on
>> how to reverse these things?
>
> If it's a small camping-type trailer, they are a nightmare to reverse as
> they 'break' so quickly.
>
>> It caught the corner of the board but missed the lights. I am not
>> going to hide this from the owner but I had hoped to say here is your
>> trailer back, sorry I crashed it but I have repaired or
>> replaced...etc.
>>
>> I wasn't sure what type of filler to use. First I looked at the paste
>> types like isopons p40 and p38 but then I saw their fibre glass kits.
>> However some web sites suggest they do not stick to plastic due to
>> thermal effects of differences in flexibility, so I'm not sure how
>> permanent they would be.
>
> There is no filler or resin that will effectively repair that type of
> plastic. If you have all the bits, try sticking it with a cyanoacrylate
> ('Superglue') adhesive.
>
> Otherwise, replacement is the only realistic way to make things good.
>
> Chris

I have been very impressed by the structural strength of these new
superglues that you use with a powder (apparently you can use
bicarbonate of soda with ordinary superglue.) the one I recently got is
Supafix APX4, comes with two bottles of superglue and two bottles of
filler powder, one grey one silver. using a bit of tape to give a
surface to start on, you can fill a gap with powder, add the superglue
and in moments you have an incredibly strong filled joint. There are
youtube demos of it, and I can confirm they are not rigged or unobtainable.

newshound

Aug 15, 2017, 5:27:23 PM8/15/17
That looks really interesting. Added to my Amazon list.

MrCheerful

Aug 15, 2017, 5:57:44 PM8/15/17
I think my pack came from toolstation. Very first job I used it on came
out brilliantly, it was literally a rectangular switch fitted into a
round hole. Now it is hard to tell it is not original, and ordinary
violence will not remove it or even crack the glue.

Chris Whelan

Aug 16, 2017, 2:33:36 AM8/16/17
MrCheerful wrote:

[...]

> I have been very impressed by the structural strength of these new
> superglues that you use with a powder

My Son has been using these in the construction industry for quite a while.
He recently cut his hand fairly deeply at work, and had run out of butterfly
stitches in his first aid box.

He tried to buy some at a local chemists, but the pharmacist refused to sell
them to him, saying the cut was too deep, so he super-glued the cut together
himself!

It worked, and is as good as new now.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

newshound

Aug 16, 2017, 3:41:48 AM8/16/17
On 8/15/2017 10:57 PM, MrCheerful wrote:
> On 15/08/2017 22:27, newshound wrote:

> I think my pack came from toolstation. Very first job I used it on came
> out brilliantly, it was literally a rectangular switch fitted into a
> round hole. Now it is hard to tell it is not original, and ordinary
> violence will not remove it or even crack the glue.

Ah yes, still listed

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p61316?table=no

Their search engine isn't very good, you have to get the search term
just right.