Re: Help please! Stripes across compter screen.

RJH

Oct 16, 2015, 2:08:36 AM10/16/15
On 15/10/2015 09:00, Chris Whelan wrote:
> pamela wrote:
>
>> On 14:28 13 Oct 2015, GB wrote:
>
> [...]
>> I don't know the name Raj Kundra and
>> Google wasn't very helpful.
>
> He trades on eBay; Google kundracomputers and you will find a link to his
> eBay shop.
>
>> However I think I will go for the old-style big tower with lots of space
>> as I have a lot of old hard drives to swap in and out. Also you can
>> fiddle with the internals them more easily. Call me old-fashioned! :-)
>
> Build one yourself! It's not that tricky.

Mate got a decent (Intel/4GB RAM/Win7) tower from ebuyer recently -
£150. It's an offer that comes up every few weeks it seems.

Or, as you and others say, an ex-corporate machine for £30-100 on ebay.
Just make sure it has an OS.

I really wouldn't try to support the OP's current machine too much
longer, and with XP out of support, an update seems wise IMHO.

--
Cheers, Rob

Rob Morley

Oct 16, 2015, 3:02:52 PM10/16/15
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 07:08:35 +0100
RJH <patch...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Or, as you and others say, an ex-corporate machine for £30-100 on
> ebay. Just make sure it has an OS.

Or use a free virtualisation platform to run the existing XP. You don't
need much Linux to fire up VirtualBox.

> I really wouldn't try to support the OP's current machine too much
> longer, and with XP out of support, an update seems wise IMHO.

XP is fine if you're sensible with your online activity and use
appropriate security software. It was suggested there would be a
load of vulnerabilities exposed as soon as MSFT started patching later
versions and not XP, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
If it does start to happen then it will be time to find an
alternative to XP.