Re: Dead pixels or...?

bitrex

Apr 3, 2016, 8:39:25 AM4/3/16
On 04/03/2016 12:24 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
> bitrex wrote:
>
>> LCD display having issues:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/jovnnra
>>
>> Dead pixels, corroded/dirty ribbon cable contacts, or something else?
> Yes, that looks like a ribbon-zebra-LCD contact problem. Carefully
> dismantling the assembly, cleaning the LCD and ribbon contacts and then
> getting it back together is risky, but then it isn't working now, so not
> that much to lose.
>
> Jon

Thanks for your reply. I cleaned the contacts of the ribbon cable, but
the problem persists. What would be the best way to clean/deoxidize the
female connectors that the ribbon cable seats into?

bitrex

Apr 4, 2016, 2:16:48 AM4/4/16
On 04/03/2016 12:24 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
> bitrex wrote:
>
>> LCD display having issues:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/jovnnra
>>
>> Dead pixels, corroded/dirty ribbon cable contacts, or something else?
> Yes, that looks like a ribbon-zebra-LCD contact problem. Carefully
> dismantling the assembly, cleaning the LCD and ribbon contacts and then
> getting it back together is risky, but then it isn't working now, so not
> that much to lose.
>
> Jon

I was fortunate to find a seller on eBay selling a lot of 3
non-backlight 16x1 display modules that look identical to the one in
this synthesizer - even using the same brand (Hitachi) surface mount
display controller IC with the same part number: HD44780A00.

$3.

bitrex

Apr 4, 2016, 6:11:36 PM4/4/16
On 04/03/2016 12:24 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
> bitrex wrote:
>
>> LCD display having issues:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/jovnnra
>>
>> Dead pixels, corroded/dirty ribbon cable contacts, or something else?
> Yes, that looks like a ribbon-zebra-LCD contact problem. Carefully
> dismantling the assembly, cleaning the LCD and ribbon contacts and then
> getting it back together is risky, but then it isn't working now, so not
> that much to lose.
>
> Jon

Thank you for the reply. On a whim I looked on eBay, and I managed to
find a lot of 16x1 unlit LCD display boards which look like they're
pretty much drop-in replacements for the original. Same model Hitachi
display controller in the same package, very similar PCB layout, 14 pin
ribbon cable connector.

$3 for 3. This should make things a lot easier.